Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WR screen and roll-out pass to Cooley

yankstrat

Please do not read this as a negative thread. I could not be more proud of this team and its end of season run. Additionally, Coach Gibbs knows more about football than just about any person on the face of the earth.

However, after watching the Skins/Eagles, I made the following observation...Defenses expect the WR screen to Moss and on 3rd down they expect the roll-out to the left looking for Cooley. On at least one occasion the Eagle DB jumped the route and almost picked off the WR screen. On several occasions Cooley was covered on 3rd down when Brunnell rolled-out causing the QB to just throw it away.

Jon Gruden is no dummy. He will be ready for these plays as Andy Reid was. Hopefully Coach Gibbs has a few wrinkles in mind.

Please do not read this as a negative thread. I could not be more proud of this team and its end of season run. Additionally, Coach Gibbs knows more about football than just about any person on the face of the earth.

However, after watching the Skins/Eagles, I made the following observation...Defenses expect the WR screen to Moss and on 3rd down they expect the roll-out to the left looking for Cooley. On at least one occasion the Eagle DB jumped the route and almost picked off the WR screen. On several occasions Cooley was covered on 3rd down when Brunnell rolled-out causing the QB to just throw it away.

Jon Gruden is no dummy. He will be ready for these plays as Andy Reid was. Hopefully Coach Gibbs has a few wrinkles in mind.

I completely agree. It doesn't take a defensive expert like Tampa Bay's Monte Kiffin to realize that our patented plays are the wide receiver screens to Moss and Cooley and the roll out passes to Cooley and to Sellers. I would expect Tampa Bay's defense to be well-prepared for those plays on Saturday. However, I also expect that Gibbs will be able to come up with a solid gameplan on offense that will allow us to be victorious.

Give the Eagles and Johnson credit for putting together a good game plan. I also think the Eagles play the WR screen better than many teams in the league. Gibbs also commented about the lack of good blocking in the first half which also might have contributed to the lack of production. That said, Gibbs will have something for this weekend.

I don't know why this would be percieved as a negative thread.... I guess this place is uptight at times. Just because we are in the playoffs and playing well, doesn't mean the team doesn't have areas of concern... and you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Well, keep in mind that defenses can overplay these things sometimes, which opens up other things. The Eagles did a great job taking away our normal stuff for most of the game, but we still scored 24 on offense.

Case in point was the 3rd down where they basically tripled Moss and left Thrash one on one for a huge gain. Or the slant to Moss when the Eagles left the middle of the field open, which I think teams have had a tendency to do lately because of all our edge/sideline plays.

This isn't anything new. Hell, how many times did we resort to the WR screen last year before teams started to pick up on it. That doesn't mean we abandon it, but we can put in some wrinkles to make it work (e.g., setting up a natural pick for the screen). Also, another wrinkle is to fake the screen and then send Santana up the field. That'll take more timing, and Moss better watch out if there's some safety waiting to slam him, but that's definitely a route that could lead to an instant six.

Gibbs wont call good effective plays against the eagles and waist showing them to the bucs. There were plays in the first Redskins vs bucs game that I never saw the team call. ie: The pass accross the middle to TE Brain Kislowski that was wide open. And you'll see the double screen to Cooley that we havent shown since the Cowboy game.

Other plays will surface, but our team and coaches dont care about plays. They care about production ,and they believe that the redskins players can just flat out beat other team's players reguardless of what plays are called.

I think our player shave somehting ot prove after that bitter first loss.

Go skins!

yep, cooley was blanketed ALL DAY, especially on third down. those 3rd down throw aways really started to get frustrating.. :rolleyes:

speaking of captain chaos, i knew he was a little banged up, anyone heard of his status? or what he was hurt with? I know he'll go, just wanted to know if theres any cuase for concern regarding his effectiveness for sat.

FAKE SCREEN sounds genius to me...gibbs will pull through regardless though so im not worried..

:bucsuck:

The eagles have been all over our wide receiver screens for the past 2 years, it's especially risky against them. As for the rollout to cooley, the eagles did a good job of stopping that, and it is something we need to change because it is very obvious. I'm confident the coaches will show the good stuff now....I hope.....

Archived