Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Brunell's stat's compared to Pro Bowl Selections

ZoEd

First I would like to start by apologizing for not supporting Mark earlier in the season. I was furious when PR was benched in favor of him. Honestly, how could Gibbs do such a thing, had he gone over the deep end? Mark was terrible last season, injured or not. Why Joe, why? Now we know. Not saying PR couldn't have gotten us where we are, but Mark has brought our offense together in a very special way. He's given them their swagger back. Without that I don't think we would have made it to the playoffs.

What has impressed me the most about Mark is the mental aspect of his game. His poise is second to none and even though I think he throws the ball away too often he typically doesn't put us in losing situations. Mark is worth every :2cents: we paid for him and probably more. You can't put a price tag on the impact he's had in the locker room and on the two young QB's backing him up. Especially PR. I think Mark's impact will be felt by this team for many years to come.

Now for some quick stats, see how Mark stacks up to the other QB's going to Hawaii.

Hasselbeck

294/449 3459yds 24TD-9INT, 20+ 41, 40+ 7 (no brainer)

Delhomme

262/435 3421yds 24TD-16INT, 20+ 44, 40+ 13

Vick

214/387 2412yds 15TD-13INT, 20+ 27, 40+ 3 (597yds rushing 6 TD)

Brunell

262/454 3050yds 23TD-10INT, 20+ 36, 40+ 9 (not bad for an old man)

As you can see Mark stacks up quite well against the other NFC QB's going to the pro bowl. Especially Vick. Granted Vick ran for 6TD's and almost 600yds but his TD/INT ratio is terrible and Atlanta didn't even make the playoffs. I don't understand the love affair the league has with them but it's getting old. Anyway there's the facts.

One more apology before I go. I would like to acknowledge the fact that the CAT 1 Gibbsian members of this board assured me post after post to trust in Gibbs. I thought most of you were crazy Homers that could never admit that Gibbs could make mistakes. Well, you were right and I was wrong. :notworthy All of CAT 2 and CAT 3 Gibbsian's should be man or woman enough to admit that. Gibbs is definitely the man when it comes to making personnel decisions. That's why if certain players have to go at the end of the season then so be it. In Gibbs we trust. I still don't trust Dan though. :silly:

Look who cares. The pro bowel selections are in. Nothing can be done about it. Get over it. It time to get ready for the playoffs

Easy there killer, I was simply pointing out the fact that we have a pretty damn good QB and I like many others didn't give him much of a chance this season. To put it simply I'm a conver, for Gibbs and Mark.

Why are there so many people on this board so quick to lash out? Every other post is who cares or you're stupid. How about, nice point but or in my opinion? So much hate and discontent, can't we all just get a long? We're in the playoffs for Gods sake. :applause:

Easy there killer, I was simply pointing out the fact that we have a pretty damn good QB and I like many others didn't give him much of a chance this season. To put it simply I'm a conver, for Gibbs and Mark.

Why are there so many people on this board so quick to lash out? Every other post is who cares or you're stupid. How about, nice point but or in my opinion? So much hate and discontent, can't we all just get a long? We're in the playoffs for Gods sake. :applause:

Damn good Qb. I would take Brunell over vick any day, one of the reasons is cause we already have C.P., now who wants to take the ball out of his hands.

zoed you must also think of it as the general attitude of amn. being told to work the air show once you can absorb that you can see how it occasionally relates to the board around here...

Vick has no business being in the Pro Bowl, it's an utter and complete joke.

Pro Bowl = Popularity Contest.

That's why people can decide they don't want to go if selected. Nobody's forced to play. It's not worth focusing on. Mark has never been the type to care if he's selected; he's playing for the respect of the Redskins Fans, not the rest of the league.

Not worth getting twisted up over.

I always thought Vick was overrated(no, not because he's black) but I think it's suffice to say that Micheal Vick sucks[]/b].

I think it's suffice to say you don't know football.

3000 yards and 21 TD's doesn't suck especially when you have a target on your back in every game.

brunell got snubbed for Vick. Vick is the bigger name and bigger star so he got in on reputation. Brunell had a tough hill to climb as a lot of Skins fans (myself included) didn't consider he a pro-bowl candidate until about a week before the voting was up.

Vick doesn't belong in the pro bowl, his was a popularity vote just as much as LaVar Arrington's was a couple of years ago :)

He makes the highlight reel plays whether his team wins or not and the little kids all have his jersey on their backs, so he makes the pro bowl.

As a drop back passer Vick has a long, long way to go to be a top quarterback.

Nice thread, ZoEd. I'm glad we buried our small "hatchet" prior to any changes in your general POV's, cuz it makes it more "special" :laugh: . I'm not one to need people to think like I do or mainly agree with me in order to get along and even enjoy interacting with them.

What I really salute in a post like your thread-starter here, is not that your outlook is now "more like mine", but that you show the kind of willingness to examine and change your opinions based on new information, careful considering of others' POV, personal insight, or just challenging your own thinking. That's an ability I think makes communicating far more pleasurable and beneficial for most people. :cheers:

:point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky

THE BUCS STOP HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn good Qb. I would take Brunell over vick any day, one of the reasons is cause we already have C.P., now who wants to take the ball out of his hands.

zoed you must also think of it as the general attitude of amn. being told to work the air show once you can absorb that you can see how it occasionally relates to the board around here...

I totally agree with the CP point of view. As long as he's running the ball we should never be in too much trouble. Like I said before, IMO Mark is the perfect fit for this offense and he can still get out there and run when needed.

Amazingly this team has tremendous balance. Greggs schemes make our defensive personnel all but interchangeable except for a few key positions. Same goes for our offense. Portis comes out and Betts comes in and still gets yds. This team is 2 or 3 players shy of being unstoppable, minus the injury bug of course.

I know all about the airshows, spent the last three yrs at Andrews, what fun. Thankfully no airshows for me here I'm in the 820th and we don't play that. Instead we get to deploy every 6 months :laugh:

Nice thread, ZoEd. I'm glad we buried our small "hatchet" prior to any changes in your general POV's, cuz it makes it more "special" :laugh: . I'm not one to need people to think like I do or mainly agree with me in order to get along and even enjoy interacting with them.

What I really salute in a post like your thread-starter here, is not that your outlook is now "more like mine", but that you show the kind of willingness to examine and change your opinions based on new information, careful considering of others' POV, personal insight, or just challenging your own thinking. That's an ability I think makes communicating far more pleasurable and beneficial for most people. :cheers:

:point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky :point2sky

THE BUCS STOP HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, actually taking the time to read and take peoples opinions into consideration before flying off the handle has helped. There is probably more wisdom on this board than any sports forum I've ever seen. A person can really learn a lot if they take the time to listen. I've definitely learned a lot this year, about football and about myself as a fan.

Big thanks to Om for the Gibbsian moment thread. :applause:

his was a popularity vote just as much as LaVar Arrington's was a couple of years ago :)

You just can't let go, can you?

In any case, the Pro Bowl is both a popularity contest (even among 'qualified players/coaches') and a recognition of achievement. For instance, only a moron would argue Santana doesn't belong in the Pro Bowl. Samuels made it back after missing it BECAUSE of his play (his name didn't hurt) not because of popularity.

Even guys like Mike Brown and Roy Williams aren't WHOLLY undeserved. Williams was better this year than last and Brown has been good for years. Taylor was more deserving though. It happens.

Vick has no business in the pro-bowl. But I see why he is there because of his popularity and how many jerseys he pushes. If you ask me he is a bad descision maker and uses is feet rather than his head like a true QB is supposed to do. That's ok he will prove to everyone he deserved a nod during the PO's.

It is one thing to say that Vick doesn't deserve to be in the Pro Bowl compared to Brunell this season, but to say that Brunell is better and that Vick sucks as a QB is completely asinine. Fact is the world is full of haters.

This is true. Vick makes mistakes and isn't perfect, but I kinda wonder with his arm (and he's not bad at deep passes) how he'd work in this offense. For one, those 'courageous' runs that Mark makes would look like child's play compared to what would happen if he had open space in front of him.

I also wonder about their wideouts. Jenkins and FInneran aren't worst of all time, but Jenkins needs more time and as good as Crumpler is, there are other aspects of team play that factor in.

If Vick could just buy time and hurl the ball downfield to Moss---oooh. Moss can pretty much catch what you throw downfield. And Vick only needs to flick his wrist to get the ball downfield.

I think Joe Gibbs would find a way to use Vick, even if Vick isn't as smart a QB as Brunell, his physical gifts might nullify that advantage.

Archived