Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unbelievable fish I caught this past week. {year later update on page 2}

portisizzle

I caught this rockfish at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Weight was 50 lbs. it was an amazing experience in 5-7 foot seas and 15 knot winds. Just holding the fish for the picture was near impossible!!

bigfish.jpg

That fish is still swimming around wondering what the heck hit it!!

wow. nice fish. what bait did you use?

Eel on a baitrunner. We had six lines out at one point. All I can say is we went through five dozen eel that day. I can't even tell you how many fish we caught. It got to the point where we didn't even bring it into the boat unless it was 40 inches or greater.

This fish was pushing fifty inches long. By far the largest rock I have ever landed.

I had rock fish stuffed with crab meat in maryland last year,one of the best meals Iv ever eaten and congrats on the catch.I guess youll go to the taxidermist for that .

No, I practice catch and release 95% of the time. I will only take a fish if I plan to eat it. But I will have this picture enlarged and framed. :)

Anyhow, this fish is too big to be good to eat. Not that I have ever tried to eat a fish this big, but I am told the meat is too mushy. A Rockfish around 30 inches long. Now THAT is something to bring home.

That's badass. I didn't even get a chance to go this.

I see you are from Norfolk. I left at 3:30 A.M. from Salisbury to get to the Kiptopeke ramp by dawn. Fished until sunset and back home by 8:30. Makes for a long day if you strike out. You are very near a terrific fishery. Lucky you!!

I see you are from Norfolk. I left at 3:30 A.M. from Salisbury to get to the Kiptopeke ramp by dawn. Fished until sunset and back home by 8:30. Makes for a long day if you strike out. You are very near a terrific fishery. Lucky you!!

Yeah, we usually fish along the CBBT. Never caught anything like yours though. Mostly 28''-32'', probably the best fish you'll ever eat, besides flounder.

What a catch. Good one. The boats and gulls were about 500 yards from shore at one of my jobs at the Virginia Beach oceanfront last week. Almost close enough to cast out. That Stripper you caught should be considered your limit for the day. It was the weight of most 2 fish caught. LOL. GOOD JOB

What was the size/weight, that looks like a pretty good striper. Biggest I ever caught was 46in/52lbs but that was when the limit was still 36in. back in the 90's you hardly ever see them that size anymore.

Great Catch :cheers:

edit: Just saw it was 50lbs, what was the length? Looks like about 42-46in?

I caught this rockfish at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Weight was 50 lbs. it was an amazing experience in 5-7 foot seas and 15 knot winds. Just holding the fish for the picture was near impossible!!

bigfish.jpg

That fish is still swimming around wondering what the heck hit it!!

Dude great 50!!! CONGRATULATIONS! I've been fishing for rockfish/stripers/bass my whole life and havent sniffed at a 50lbr as of yet!!! That truly is a once in a lifetime fish for many many anglers!!! Wow!... Cool.... :thumbsup:

If I read correctly.. you released her too! Remind me to buy you a beer sometime!!! You sir are a class act!

Dude great 50!!! CONGRATULATIONS! I've been fishing for rockfish/stripers/bass my whole life and havent sniffed at a 50lbr as of yet!!! That truly is a once in a lifetime fish for many many anglers!!! Wow!... Cool.... :thumbsup:

If I read correctly.. you released her too! Remind me to buy you a beer sometime!!! You sir are a class act!

I can only hope I get another shot at a fish this big. It was a lot of fun.

Yes, I did release the fish. I have about five pictures of this fish and two were of me holding the tail of the fish in the water until the fish got its bearings and left.

And thanks for the compliment on releasing the fish. For me the pictures are all I need to remind myself of the catch. :)

Archived