Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grossman's a GatorSkin too.

Just a short fluff piece but what the heck we won 40-10 enjoy the moment.

http://orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/gators/orl-sptgrossman25082502aug25.story?coll=tf%2Dgators

Grossman cheers for former coach

By Joe Schad | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 25, 2002

TAMPA -- Florida quarterback Rex Grossman sat in Row V of Section 340 of Raymond James Stadium on Saturday night, wearing a backwards Florida Gators cap and cheering loudly for the Washington Redskins.

Former Gators Coach Steve Spurrier was as far away from Grossman and his father Dan as could possibly be. But they appreciated the first quarter touchdown drive led by former Florida quarterback Shane Matthews.

"It's the same plays we ran last year," Grossman said. "It's exactly the same plays. Just look. He [spurrier] looks like he's doing just fine to me."

He said he came to the game on a last-minute whim and was unable to speak with Spurrier, who helped him finish second in the Heisman Trophy voting, but did speak with former Gators quarterbacks coach Noah Brindise.

"I've thought a lot about it," Grossman said, when asked if he'd considered being an NFL pro now. Grossman's dad wore a Florida Gators visor and stood and cheered every time the Redskins scored.

"We're Redskins fans," Rex Grossman said. "Why wouldn't we be?"

i think Grossman's a little scared... entering the draft next year, i doubt he wants to play for any other team but the Skins... Florida QB's have never amounted to much in the NFL - that is until being reunited with SS... i think Grossman realizes this and it scares him knowing we drafted Ramsey to be our QB of the future... it'll be interesting to see what happens in next years draft...

It's very doubtful he'll be here. Ramsey showed NFL skills throwing the ball and facing the rush last night. Mentally he's not close to being ready, but, he's bigger than Grossman and has a better arm. In a year he should be where Grossman was in Spurrier's offense, when you consider Grossman will be a year removed from it and Ramsey has nothing but time to learn.

Plus, as Grossman and Spurrier have pointed out, the Redskins are running the Florida offense right now. No changes. Spurrier is going to add some things to this offense when the gun sounds for real and Grossman won't have any of that. Ramsey is very similar to Grossman in terms of mental aptitude and assuming he picks the offense up, he's more physically able throwing the ball that we shouldn't want or need Grossman.

Grossman's problem will be, as with other Florida QBs, going to a team that limits what the player can do. It seems the imagination and allowance to recognize defenses and change plays contributes to making a Spurrier QB productive. Ramsey's ability to pick that up is all he needs to be successful.

"OH Yea?

Well, certainly a little anxiety about playing at the next level is natural. Though to be honest, I don't see that in that little interview. Grossman seems to be a cut above in physical talent than some of his predecessors at Florida. He could, possibly should, do well in the NFL... always a crap shoot.........Now for the important question.

"We're Redskins fans," Rex Grossman said. "Why wouldn't we be?"

Is this recent or a lifetime thing? :D Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

Originally posted by THiTo48

i think Grossman's a little scared... entering the draft next year, i doubt he wants to play for any other team but the Skins... Florida QB's have never amounted to much in the NFL - that is until being reunited with SS... i think Grossman realizes this and it scares him knowing we drafted Ramsey to be our QB of the future... it'll be interesting to see what happens in next years draft...

To say that Grossman is scared is plain silly. Smart is more like it. Why wouldn't he want to play in a system that he knows he can excel in?

If your logic is correct, no team will draft him because he has zero chance of success w/o Spurrier. and if SOS wins with DW and/or SM, he'll illustrate that all of the other OCs in the NFL are idiots that can't identify talent

At any rate, I'll give Ramsey a 30% chance of having success under Spurrier. Yeah, he's got a live arm, but so do plenty of people that play in the CFL and NFLE. If he can't read defenses and audible to the right play, he's trade fodder. After all, it's not like there's any good way to quantify or qualify Ramsey's skills. He played for Tulane in CUSA for chrissakes.

We're all saying that we need to see DW and SM do someting in the pros before we're sold on them at this level. Why don't we expect the same from Ramsey, who did noting in college other than putting up gaudy numbers in a fringe conference, before we annoint him the QB of the future?

I don't think Grossman is scared of anything!

He may not have the physical stature of the prototypical NFL QB of the '90s, but he has plenty of tools. I expect Grossman to come out from under SOS shadow this year, and make his own mark.

As far as SOS' QBs in the pros, the pendulum may be swinging there too. Doug Johnson seems to be doing very well in Atlanta. He is stuck behind Vick even though he is apparently out playing him now. If he doesn't get the chance in Atlanta, look for him to move on. I have seen reports that he definitely has starter potential.

I have also read reports that Jesse Palmer is well thougt of in NY. So, there may be a career in the making there.

These ideas about Spurrier's QBs were developed because of Danny and Shane; mainly Danny I suppose. Labels get attached quickly and are hard to get rid of. We are beginning to get a sense that maybe the "experts" may have missed something there.

PS Park City, Grossman is from Indiana. I have no personal knowledge, but doubt that he was a Redskins before SOS came here. But what the hell, everybody sees the light some time.

Art, where did you get the idea that Grossman has a weaker arm than Ramsey. Just because his helmet says "Gators" does not mean he has a rag arm. The man has an extremely strong arm.

Also, how can you presume that Ramsey is as smart as Grossman? We do not know the players well enough to determine that. Rex is pleny intelligent, but like most passers with rifle arms, he tends to overly trust his arm, throwing into double coverage.

Ramsey is probably the future here. Give him a couple of years to learn how to efectively execute the Fun and Gun, then be ready to hand him the reins (unless Danny or Shane perform well enough to justify keeping them in the starter's role).

Rob,

Where did you get the idea that Grossman had as strong an arm as Ramsey? Just because he has "Gators" on his helmet doesn't make him endowed with the physical tools of one of the more physically gifted QBs to come out in a while.

Ramsey has an arm that Grossman simply doesn't have. I have seen enough Florida football games and Tulane games, now, to say the arm strength is in the advantage of Ramsey. I didn't say Grossman had a weak arm. I said Ramsey had a stronger arm. Grossman by all accounts seems to have a very good arm.

Ramsey, by the same, has a big gun. That's not a slight on Grossman. Ramsey was frequently described as a Grossman clone, but with better size and arm strength. His smarts seem evident given his dual major and strong Wonderlic score. Whether his mind works the way a Florida QB mind works, I can't say. But, the presumption by Gators fans that anyone who plays QB at Florida is more intelligent than any QB who doesn't is not probably a good one.

Why would you be led to believe that Grossman is much smarter than Ramsey? Again, saying Ramsey is smart, isn't a slight on Grossman's intelligence. It's just a statement of fact by evidence presented with the man's education and test scores. Florida fans need to recognize that uplifting another player doesn't mean we're diminishing the Florida player.

No one would suggest that Grossman has the physical tools of Carr or Ramsey or Leftwich or even Eli Manning. He's clearly a fine talent, and perhaps the best to play effectively in the Spurrier offense. But, there is a glorious world of college football players outside of Gainsville and some of them even have some talent too. Sometimes even more than Florida players :).

But, I know you agree with me on this. I just get tired of saying one guy has a great arm and having to defend why I'm not slamming Grossman's arm by saying it.

"PS Park City, Grossman is from Indiana. I have no personal knowledge, but doubt that he was a Redskins before SOS came here"

Never know. Blondie's born and raised in Texas, with accent and everything, always been a Redskins fan. Never know huh? :cheers:

Originally posted by Art

No one would suggest that Grossman has the physical tools of Carr or Ramsey or Leftwich or even Eli Manning. [/b]

God, I am sooo tired of hearing about physical tools and QBs. The greatest QBs in the history of the NFL wouldn't stack-up against any of these whiz kids with all the "tools" these days. Poor, poor Hall Of Fame QBs that some dumb *** like Kiper wouldn't draft for a dog catcher. All this tools talk is complete BS.

Just my $0.02. Your mileage may vary.

GO SKINS!!!!!

PC,

There's no question there's more to playing quarterback than just the tools of throwing the ball. If that's all there was, there'd never be a bust at the QB spot. The fact remains that physical tools are beneficial. If the REST of the game is also there with the mental part, and you combine the physical part with it, you have a "special" QB. Like Marino, or Favre, or Elway, or Aikman, or pick a name.

It's not a negative that Ramsey has a big arm and seems to throw a fairly accurate ball from accounts of yesterday's game. But, let me tell you what is probably as tiresome to others as talking about a QBs physical tools is to you. The presumption that the lack of those tools is somehow to be associated with greatness.

No one hopes for more performance out of Wuerffel or Matthews than I do. But, what if Ramsey has the same quick mind and ability to see the Spurrier offense as those to, but has three times the arm strength. Would that be a horrible combination? While there's OBVIOUSLY more to playing quarterback than throwing the ball, that's OBVIOUSLY a part of it and whether Ramsey develops the rest or not is not something we know yet. We do know that neither Wuerffel nor Matthews can develop what Ramsey ALREADY has. For that, there's hope.

That said, if Wuerffel holds down the QB spot and performs well, Ramsey will never see the job here. If Wuerffel is a 3500 yard passer putting points and victory on the board, Ramsey won't get into the lineup. It's Wuerffel's spot to become great.

I was wondering last night if Grossman was lurking or even posting around here. Come on Rex what is your signon?

BTW,

<i>"If Wuerffel is a 3500 yard passer"</i>

What part of 3500/16 = 219 yards per game do you not understand. There is no way a SOS year long starter throw for so little yardage.

Insti,

Don't get me wrong, more and more I'm thinking our offense won't be No. 20 or No. 15 or even No. 10. I'm thinking we might just be a pretty good unit and well into the Top 10. If Spurrier gets performance like that out of the QB spot, we're going to kill people.

The "if" is a concession to past history and the remaining belief that the NFL can't possibly have been so wrong on Wuerffel's ability, can it? I mean, he can't be Danny Warner, can he? :). But, HBC is a guy that's getting tougher to doubt in any way.

Art the NFL like most monopolies in the world is not under competitive pressure to put the best person in each job. Everyone makes money in the NFL. The NFL owner has the status of an NFL owner no matter how bad the team is, see Bidwell or Jones.

The NFL is populated with terrible coaches who are very risk averse. They run terrible safe offense to not attract attention and get themselves fired. It is always safer to lose with a someone that Mel and the gang claims has lots of talent that risk your job going with the best QB in college football history. So they play Quincey Carter.

The QB play in DC this year will be very good. The offense will not necessarily be the top offense the first year of putting it together. But I would be shocked if the Skins are not in the top five in scoring in the NFL.

Ramsey will do just fine....last night we were able to see the physical prowess that everyone has talked about. He has taken 20 pounds off of his frame since he was playing at Tulane and can move around a lot better, he has good side line to side line vision and can throw the ball hard and accurately, Ron Jaworski thought he was the best quarterback in the draft and he knows quarterbacks. He is also very intelligent and I think he will sit for two years learning the offense and than come in and light the league up!!!!!!

Originally posted by Park City Skins

"PS Park City, Grossman is from Indiana. I have no personal knowledge, but doubt that he was a Redskins before SOS came here"

Never know. Blondie's born and raised in Texas, with accent and everything, always been a Redskins fan. Never know huh? :cheers:

I read another article on Grossman and his father and what they went through when SS announced he was leaving. He was not always a Redskins fan, he is now because of Spurrier. At least that's what he said.

Ramsey needs to learn how to read a defense though. He was getting killed int he 3rd quarter. If they had blitzed shane or Danny like that they would have seen it coming and thrown to the spot the blitz was coming from. His arm strength looks good, but that means little in the offense.

lol... i feel like a hit a nerve...

but for all u Gator fans, i was in no way trying to 'bash' Grossman... i like Grossman, i think he's a great QB, and i think he has a legimate chance to succeed in the NFL... HOWEVER, all i was saying was he's gotta be slightly worried about what's going on in the NFL right now... i am sure most of u would agree Wuerffel was the best Gator QB ever under Spurrier's system... but what did he do in the NFL before Spurrier? that goes for most other former Gator QB's as well... i am sure Grossman has seen this pattern and seen what's happened in Washington recently and would like nothing more than to play for Spurrier... in no way am i saying Grossman won't succeed in the NFL without Spurrier, but i do believe it crosses his mind when thinking about the draft...

It's not a problem, really. We think Grossman will do well wherever he goes because he has the tools to accomodate the dinosauer offenses many NFL teams have. I am the first to admit that QBs like Wuerffel and Matthews will only do well in systems that suit their skills, and unfortunately, there are not many offensive systems out there that would do that (SOS and Martz are probably the only two).

I will tell you, however, that because of Grossman's knowledge of the system, he would do better than Ramsey now. One or two years from now, when Ramsey has the experience, OTOH...

Ramsey has great physical tools, which is OK, but he also apparently has great intelligence, which is VITAL to run SOS' system. He is going to have to THINK like Spurrier. So far, only Wuerffel has cracked that code. Let's se how Patrick develops...

To bestow a negative opinion towards Ramsey's handle of the offense based on just a half of action in his initial NFL experience is by no means indicative of what he is going to actually accomplish in this system. He showed some ups as well as downs. His arm strength is something that can not be questioned. Repetition of skills is a key to success: as Ramsey becomes more acclimated with the system, his level of comfortability will probably increase. Whether he has success or not remains to be seen but as of now in my mind, last night wasnt that bad of a start. Here's hoping Ramsey can fulfill his potential. :cheers:

Well Ramsey has an arm but I'll tell you one thing. The most valuable QB talent has been evident in Rex from the get-go. I'm still waiting to see if that dvelops in Ramsey. We'll see when draft day roles around. If Ramsey doesn't have it...thats an IF!...then we'll make the trade and pick up Leftwich or Rex.

Archived