Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Reid's Challenge

yankstrat

What was Andy Reid thinking when he challenged the long Moss catch down the left sideline? Ref said that he was challeneging the catch, but the ctach was obviously made. If he was challenging whether Moss stepped out of bounds at some point while "juking" after the catch, why challenge that? Moss gained maybe 1-2 yards with those fakes..better to keep the challenege for future use.

As it turned out there were a few plays Reid could have challenged after that, but was unable to do so. Brown made a catch down the right sideline ruled out of bounds that could have been challenged and the Detmer fumble returned by Taylor could have been challenged because the arm may have gone forward. Replays of both plays seemed to show the calls on the field were right, however, the fact that Reid just wasted his challenge as he did really made no sense.

thoughts?

Detmer's fumble was clearly a fumble... Daniels knocked it out of his hand while he was raising it to throw.... not the forward motion needed to throw a pass. There wasn't a need to challenge that.... I'm quite sure his people upstairs said it was clearly a fumble. I'm not sure that the ref heard Andy right.... because I counted that Moss made five steps with the football before getting even close to the sideline. I think he was challenging ball placement.

Detmer's fumble was clearly a fumble... Daniels knocked it out of his hand while he was raising it to throw.... not the forward motion needed to throw a pass. There wasn't a need to challenge that.... I'm quite sure his people upstairs said it was clearly a fumble. I'm not sure that the ref heard Andy right.... because I counted that Moss made five steps with the football before getting even close to the sideline. I think he was challenging ball placement.

Andy Reid's challenage on the Moss catch was a waste. As far as the fumble by #10, it was clearly a fumble.

Just shows what a fraud of a coach Reid really is. Nobody challenges that call. Reid made a name for himself during a time when the division was going thru changes. Now that the Skins, Giants & Cowgirls are all coming around, We see the true coaching ability of Mr. Reid. 0 & 6 in the division. Need I say more. This is extremely satisfying being up here in Philly. :eaglesuck

Reid may have challenged the Moss catch just to slow down the game at that point. The Skins were rolling and his defense was gassed; he might have used the challenge as a way to get his defense regrouped for the goal line stand they were about to make. It didn't help, but that may have been his thinking.

I disagree that Reid's challenge was a waste. You guys are taking the approach "What's 1 yard?", but are forgetting that pro football is a game of INCHES! When you're in the redzone, every single inch COUNTS.

We were having trouble offensively. An extra yard could have been HUGE! We scored on a Portis run where he had to bull through some defenders and fall forwards into the endzone. An extra yard and he might not have made it. An extra yard may have changed our play selection. We may have thrown it instead. Brunell was overthrowing & just plain missing receivers all game long. It could have been a redzone pick.

So "NO", I don't think Reid's challenge was ill-advised.

It was a pointless challenge and a waste of a time-out. I also maintain Reid shouldn't have put in Detmer.

Yeah, McMahon was moving the ball against us, that guy has a pretty good arm. I was surprised to see Detmer coming in, but I also think that Reid was using the game much like he would a pre-season game as far as evaluating some talent.

I agree with you Khun Kao, but I think if I was Andy Reid I would save that challenge incase I needed it for a play reversal of like 40 yards. Now since football is a game of inches.. 40 yards is like.... 1,000,000 inches. =)

Andy Reid's decision = Poor

I disagree that Reid's challenge was a waste. You guys are taking the approach "What's 1 yard?", but are forgetting that pro football is a game of INCHES! When you're in the redzone, every single inch COUNTS.

Especially on a 56 yard gain where Moss gets the record :P

:eaglesuck

Were the eagles out of challenges when the Detmer fumble occured I can't recall. with 2:16 left he needed a challenge left.

Remember "he didn't see them standing in our way"....

If Andy threw in the towel..I for one think it was the best damn thrown game I have ever seen...LOL because they came out fired up and threw everything at us..on the TD pass they pulled guards and everything to make it look like a run.

McMahon did fumble the snap..and had some critcal pick so Detmer could have been called for but at my house we were like WTF? when Detmer came in.

Reid may have challenged the Moss catch just to slow down the game at that point. The Skins were rolling and his defense was gassed; he might have used the challenge as a way to get his defense regrouped for the goal line stand they were about to make. It didn't help, but that may have been his thinking.

then why not just call a timeout? why waste a challenge and a timeout??

It was as pointless as his team was this year. Someone upstairs most of seen something. Regardless, it has to be the worst challenge this year from any coach. He should fire the person upstairs who told him to challenge because it cost him a needed time out, and had no way to challenge later in the game.

Coach Cheesesteak didn't know what he was doing. He was just bumbling and fumbling. There was no reason to challenge. Even on spot of the ball: 1st and 9 isn't a far cry from 1st and 7. Not worth it. Whoever was upstairs had to have told him the same thing.

And then we get Detmer in. Why? Anyone? What kind of choice is that. The other QB made a handful of mistakes, but most of the turnovers weren't his fault entirely. He was moving the ball down the field well and exploiting our weak spots. Not bad for a rookie, you know?

Coach Cheesesteak just screwed that game up.

He was challenging the ruling on the field that Santana Moss took 20 steps inbounds before either (a) stepping out of bounds; or (B) being tackled.

But seriously, our thoughts while watching the game were that Reid was challenging whether Moss stepped out of bounds during his route, and before he touched the ball, which would have been a penalty. Me and my buddies couldn't remember, though, whether or not that was a reviewable point.

Anyway. Bottom line was that it was a mysterious challenge that shouldn't have been taken. Best case scenario for the Eagles, we would have been backed up by a yard.

And yes, when Daniels forced the fumble, the Eagles were out of time outs AND the game was outside of two minutes, so it was a non-reviewable play.

He could have just called the timeout himself, then, rather than embarass himself on national TV... :laugh: :eaglesuck

Archived