Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First step to Williams departure? Per ESPN: Vermeil to retire

adarsh1

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2276661

Report: Vermeil to retire at end of season

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday that he will retire as coach at the end of the season, The Kansas City Star reported.

Lynn Stiles, the Chiefs' vice president for football operations, told the newspaper that the 69-year-old Vermeil informed his players and coaches about his decision at a team meeting.

Stiles, who was at meeting, said Vermeil appeared at peace with his decision.

"I know so. ... It's the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it's the right thing to do for the organization," Stiles said.

Kansas City could reach the playoffs by beating Cincinnati at home on Sunday and having Detroit beat Pittsburgh.

The Star said Vermeil declined an interview request, preferring to spend what could be his final night as a head coach with players, staff, family and friends.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2276661

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday that he will retire as coach at the end of the season, The Kansas City Star reported.

Lynn Stiles, the Chiefs' vice president for football operations, told the newspaper that the 69-year-old Vermeil informed his players and coaches about his decision at a team meeting.

Stiles, who was at meeting, said Vermeil appeared at peace with his decision.

"I know so. ... It's the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it's the right thing to do for the organization," Stiles said.

Click on link for full article

I'm surprised that people aren't bashing him for not being a team player!

I mean, he is releasing this the day before they play a major game that could get them into the playoffs!

This is an unnecessary distraction that KC doesn't need...!

Please, nobody respond to me thinking that I really want to bash Dick. I'm more interested in Lavar.

I'm surprised that people aren't bashing him for not being a team player!

I mean, he is releasing this the day before they play a major game that could get them into the playoffs!

This is an unnecessary distraction that KC doesn't need...!

Please, nobody respond to me thinking that I really want to bash Dick. I'm more interested in Lavar.

Nice metaphor...or as Benny Hill often said "I know what I met-her-for!" :D

Vermeil is such a cool guy.

besides anything Gibbs/Redskins, he's my next favorite "thing" in the NFL. classy and a bada$$ at the same time. God bless him.

I totally agree with you. What a great man he is. I was watching an NFL films segment on him a couple of weeks ago. He is a real classy man who cares so deeply for his players, family, and anyone around him. I know he and Gibbs are good friends and I remember reading that last year Vermeil would send Gibbs weekly statistics and trends from around the league to help him out. I have always enjoyed watching Vermeil coach and the passion he has for his players and I will miss seeing him on the sidelines. A great character guy.

He's been a great coach in the league for a long time but i think the thing that bothers me the most about him leaving is it's just one more open position in the league that will be on gregg williams' mind if he hasn't already decided what he wants to do...

Well, that's very interesting news. Vermeil is certainly one of the "Greats" and will be missed when he leaves the NFL. Herm Edwards would be a smart man to take a real close look at the vacancy in KC. Better him then GW...that's my concern here ;)

The only way herman edwards gets the KC job is if he was fired or released from his current contract with the jets.

the next step: Oakland is going to announce the firing of Norv on Monday morning...Luckily, GW probably won't take that job, but Al Davis has a LOT of money to dish out

Actually, although Al Davis is generous with player salaries (providing they produce), he is very CHEAP when it comes to hiring and paying head coaches. Unless he is a "yes-man" or doesn't mind kissing Al Davis a$$, not too many coaches want to coach the Raiders, because Al Davis really runs the entire show in that organization.

why would Williams want that horrific job? The Chefs haven't done anything since before I was born. Their franchise is one of the worst ten in the league. If he chooses that job over staying with the Skins then he is a true idiot.

I could see him MAYBE taking the Rams job because they at least have some talent but the Chefs couldn't beat Penn State.

Archived