Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some feedback re: my wife's puppy.

I need an opinion from some of you who might own dogs or might even be professionals in treating pets.

My wife has a Silky Terrier who is 8 months old. We just return from Orlando FL 2 days ago from Xmas vacation and suddenly this morning she started having blood in her stool. We were feeding her puppy chow but change it to some sort of Science food. She has stool a few times today and in each time there has been blood present.

I called our local vet but of course they are close, I called the Animal hospital and they stated that since we changed the food that this could be the cause. They suggested that we wait and keep an eye on her and make an appointment either Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I know that we are all concentrating on the Skins and the New Year but if one of you knows what could be the problem, We would really appreciate it.

:eaglesuck

A factor to consider is the puppy's behavior. Is she as bouncy and energetic as usual? If so, I'd just go back to the previous food and maybe add a little bit of rice (it's bland). Or is she mopey and in some distress? If so, I'd spend the money and take her to a vet. She might have eaten something toxic or swallowed an object or have some sort of infection that is better if treated quickly.

If you switch back to the previous food, don't expect the blood to stop right away. If the other (adult?) food irritated her digestive system, it won't get un-irritated immediately, it will have to recover a bit. So don't panic.

Good luck.

(edit) Oh yes -- I'm assuming the amount of blood is minor. If not, or if you're not sure, take her in.

We arrived from Florida Wed. 12/28, We spent about a week an half. There were about 7 kids ranging from 5 - 16 and they own a Pug. They did not get along and played rough most of the time.

After we got home and since it she had finished her Puppy Chow we decided to buy the Science food as this was the food that the Pug was eating. She did not want to eat it, yesterday we spent most of the time at a relatives home and we left her with an 11 year old girl to puppy sit.

She wants to eat her steak treats that we are using to for potty training but is refusing to eat the puppy chow.

Today she has layed down most of the day however she has played on occasions. Her stool is soft and usually ends with a quarter size fresh blood with stool in the middle.

We really Appreciate all of your inputs.

How much blood is it ,and has her behavior become lethargic.

It seems to be very wet around the stool. On a couple of occasions it she has done a Quarter size of blood mixe with stool.

Her behavior is 30% less active that what she was before.

The fact that your puppy is able to have a bowel movement is somewhat of a good sign. I think your dog has some kind of infection. Only tests by a vet can be sure. If he ate something that was non-digestable an x-ray would pick it up. But if he ate something non-digestable he might show signs by having trouble going to the bathroom and or not at all. Keep an eye on the little guy.

Whenever changeing food you should slowly c hange it, so for example

If you give the dog a cup per meal, First couple days.. give around 75% old food 25% new, then next few days give 50/50 then 25/75 then all new food with a few sprinkles of old, then all new food.

You should never switch food that dramtic.

A friend of mine just got a puppy for a Christmas present and the same thing is happening to her dog. She took it to the vet and they told her that the puppy had an infection and gave her some antibiotics and said that the puppy should be just fine.

I would take the puppy to vet when you can. Hopefully nothing serious. Good luck and wishing a quick recovery to the poor thing.

I want to thank everyone for their feedback. The puppy was checked and treated by a vet, I took some stool samples and they determine that she had bacteria which was causing her to have soft stools with blood on it. She has been place on a AMOXI-TABS (antibiotic) for a week which she will be taking twice a a day.

Besides having this bad bacteria which my wife knows what it is, the vet stated that this bacteria could have increased due to the stress of traveling. The puppy is only 5 pounds and appearently the kids were picking her up and throwing her up in the air as she landed on the bed or couch. With the trip and the Airplane ride and the car ride home and everything else that was going on during the holidays.

She seems to be doing better now, she watched the game on top of her Redskins blanket yesterday, thanks again for all of your feedbacks. :logo:

75004;

Stress can cause blood in the stool among other symptoms. Esp in a small dog.

As for changing the food you should mix the food together slowly as it can also cause upset stomachs among other symptoms.

I am glad your puppy is ok and do not worrie bacteria infections are very common with puppies! If you have any questions just PM me.

Archived