Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok, what's the deal with the kickoffs?

It seems we can't kick the ball off past the 15 ro 20 yard line half the time. Hall takes just a two step approach to kick the ball off. No wonder he can't kick it very far. Most kickers seem to take a 5 or 6 step approach to get some momentum.

Anyway, it seems like the opposing team's kick returner is already to the 30 yard line before our defense even gets to him.

It is only a matter of time before giving up this great field position bites us on the butt.

Can we consider signing someone with a cannon leg just to handle kick-offs? Hall is a fine field goal man but he can't kick the ball off worth a diggy-dang-dern.

Well, Janikowksi boots it into the endzone on kickoffs much of the time. After the season he's had in Oakland this year, we might be able to pick him up cheap for kick-off duties while keeping the more accurate Hall for FGs and PAs.;)

good point - plus, isn't it risky having our field goal kicker in on kick-offs? many times it is the kicker that ends up making a saving tackle. also, that long kicking can cause injury, IMHO

wow, did he really average the 8 yard line? seemed much worse than that.

It seemed worse to me too, the Giants were at the 30 and 40 yard line about every time. Really shows how good our Defense has been playing, I sure miss kickers like Chip Lowmiller but Hall is pretty faithful on EP and FG.

wow, did he really average the 8 yard line? seemed much worse than that.

Hall's kicks were to the 9yrd line, the 11,3,13,7,and to the 6. That averages to 8.2 yard line. The Returns were for 41yrds,24,22,14,23,38. That averages to 27 yrds a return. That puts the Giants starting on average at the 35 yrd line after kick off. Really the coverage may be more to blame. They need to do better than that. I feel like they will. They've done well for most of the season.

(stats from msn.com):cool:

Hall was the same as he's always been. His kickoffs went to the 9,11,3,13,7,6 so I'm not sure what you were watching. He was past the 15 yard line every time. He's never been a big touchback guy since he got here. Our coverage units didn't play great.

EDIT: I coulda just typed what Addicted2Skins wrote. :) Beat me to it.

Well, Janikowksi boots it into the endzone on kickoffs much of the time. After the season he's had in Oakland this year, we might be able to pick him up cheap for kick-off duties while keeping the more accurate Hall for FGs and PAs.;)

Janikowski would be an upgrade in all aspects of the kicking game, he has accuracy as well as the biggest leg in the game.

Cheers to you guys for posting the stats! :cheers:

Looking at that, it doesn't seem like Hall is doing so bad. Ever since the kickoff was moved to the 30, I have felt the coverage unit is succesful if they keep the returner from reaching the 30. Obviously, it's not Hall's fault they were unable to do this if the average distance of his kicks was to the 8.

Hopefully they'll get better on this against the Iggles.

Janikowski would be an upgrade in all aspects of the kicking game, he has accuracy as well as the biggest leg in the game.

Well, he's 7 for 12 on kicks of 40-49 yds, and he's 0 for 3 on kicks of 50+. He's 20 of 30 total. It's not very good, but also not the worst in the league. However, some of his misses have been in situations where the game was on the line.

Well the Giants game, they just had a good returner, man he was fast... even when Hall got it down to the 5 he took it back to the 30 or 40 yd line.

Wasnt that none other than our very own Chad Morton who was cut because he DIDNT produce the way they had hoped when they signed him?

I thought the Patriots had picked him up. How has he been doing for the Giants against anyone else besides the Skins?

I was lookin through the playbyplay of janokowski the last couple of games and I didnt see one kick off into the endzone. I saw a couple that got inside the 8 and returned to 49 or so. Now either jan isnt putting any hangtime on his kicks to get them as deep as possible or his coverage team sucks arse.

I was thinking about this while watching the game also

The big problem was the hang time on Hall's kickoffs, not just how short they are

Our coverage teams did not have a chance to get down there quick enough to bottle up Chad Morton

You would like to get the ball to about the 2 or 3 yard line. Asking for touchbacks from the 30 is a bit much, but if the kicks can be consistantly inside the 5, with about a 5 second hang time, that would be ideal

Hall is not even close to that

Isnt Mike Vanderkljadslkjfhbkjhkt a FA this season as well? Sorry, spelling is not my forte.

I know He'd probably cost alot, but hed be well worth it. Janikowski would work as well, but with the amount of clubs in D.C im afraid he'd go kill someone in a drunken rage.. :/

Archived