Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moss' greatest skill...

Moss has many skills: speed, great hands, quickness, ability to run after the catch, but I believe there is one skill that truly sets him apart:

His ability to pirouette at fully speed and change direction without losing forward momentum. This leaves defenders holding their jock straps and allows Brunell to throw the ball to the opposite shoulder from where Moss is looking.

Think about this. Moss is flying downfield looking over his right shoulder, knowing all the time Brunell will be throwing it over his left shoulder. The defender, watching Moss' eyes defends the right shoulder. Then, at the last second, Moss pirouettes at full speed catching the ball over his left shoulder and running for extra yards as the defender falls down helplessly.

It looks at the time like Brunell threw the ball badly, but I've seen this too often to think it might not actually be planned that way. If it is the plan, it is deviously brilliant and explains why Moss gets so many catches that end in touchdowns.

Think about this. Moss is flying downfield looking over his right shoulder, knowing all the time Brunell will be throwing it over his left shoulder. The defender, watching Moss' eyes defends the right shoulder. Then, at the last second, Moss pirouettes at full speed catching the ball over his left shoulder and running for extra yards as the defender falls down helplessly.

What is so amazing to me is he does spins to the right. In other words he goes all the way around instead of just turning to his left.

Has anyone else noticed how seldom the defender covering Moss actually tackles him after the catch. I think this is due to the misdirection.

i agree. it is the same reason Moss catches balls that are underthrown or a little off. he never lets his eyes or body language give away the position of the ball....until of course it is too late.

Moss is simply better at tracking down the deep ball than almost anyone I have ever seen, like Coach Gibbs said. He's so goiod at it that he can actually bait the defender away from the actual path of the ball and still come back and get the ball as is it were easy to do. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Have you seen anyone else doing that? Nope.

Adjusting to the ball. I first noticed on that first touchdown in Dallas. It was like he found another speed once he saw the ball in the air.

A close second is after he has the ball. I have never seen anyone run that stupid screen play like he does. He makes it a good play. I have never seen it be succesful like it is to him. (Props to the blocking on those too!)

I think his hands is the thing. I think when we got him we all heard about the speed and after the catch skills, A.K.A punt returner Skills. But the thing that has most impressed me this year that I never saw before is his hands I mean he has made some great catches.

A close second is after he has the ball. I have never seen anyone run that stupid screen play like he does. He makes it a good play. I have never seen it be succesful like it is to him. (Props to the blocking on those too!)

:laugh: Remember how last year people were saying, "I hope we never see a screen pass again! I hate that play."

This year we can't get enough of it. Moss has scored twice on it, almost 3 times if you look at the Cowboys game, Cooley has made things happen with it and Portis has looked good with it. It's funny what a little execution, blocking and talent will do for you.

Archived