Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Darrell Green cover Moss 1 on 1 coverage

skinfan2k

I'm reminded of an interview with Gary Clark. The reporter asked him which DB was able to cover him the best. Gary's responce was something like, "Darrell Green, after he covers you in practice, there's no DB in the league that can cover me now."

So yes, DG would be able to cover and shut down Santana Moss, Randy Moss, and Santana's little brother when he goes into the draft next year.

Guest GibbSkins11

darrell green had the speed to cover santana moss but he also had the smarts as well that would of been the difference , he knows how to place his body , and get in position to make a play:applause: :helmet: :applause: but it would of been tough b/c santana can make a play using a route on the field :cheers:

Can someone get me a link to the article where Jerry Rice said Darrell Green was toughest CB he went up against? My friend think Deion was the best corner and getting a quote from Jerry Rice that Darrell Green was the toughest he ever when up against would settle the agruement.

Yes, I believe it. Darrell's my favorite football player of all time and Santana's my favorite football player right now....and Darrell, at his prime, could smoke anybody. Moss would definitely put up some good competition, but in the end, Green's got it.

Yes, I believe it. Darrell's my favorite football player of all time and Santana's my favorite football player right now....and Darrell, at his prime, could smoke anybody. Moss would definitely put up some good competition, but in the end, Green's got it.

I never would have guessed that DG is your favorite. :D

Mine too. That's the Jersey I wear on Sundays. A white #28.

When Darrell Green was in college at Texas A&I, he ran a 10.08 in the 100 meter dash. The only man in the world who ran a faster time that year was.... Carl Lewis. Imagine if Green had trained his entire life as a sprinter. Anyways, yes Green could cover Moss.

Acually he wanted to be in the olympics , but back then there was a rule that did not allow professional athletes to participate in the olympics.

Of course now a days thats not true and they do allow them to do so.

Acually he wanted to be in the olympics , but back then there was a rule that did not allow professional athletes to participate in the olympics.

Of course now a days thats not true and they do allow them to do so.

That's because they knew DG would win everything. They wanted a fair olympics, so they banned pros. When they heard DG retired, you could hear the collective "whew", and they let pros in... :D

BTW on record Jerry Rice said the best CB he ever played against was Deion Sanders. He said it on ESPN.

Are you sure that the question wasn't which CB did he most exploit repetitively?

I remember Rice having a few of his 10 catch for 185 or 215 and 2-3 scores when the 9ers played the Falcons and Deion covered him. The score in those games was usually 38-14 or 45-17 so Deion wasn't 100% of the blame but he was bad and always went for the ball instead of the player.

Darrell has always been my all time favorite Redskin and i would have to say yes he could cover Moss the same way he made a living covering the other teams #1 reciever one on one for the whole time he played.he covered all the greats who played in his time man to man and usually forced offenses to come up with something other than try to pick on him.it's what Darrell did.Moss would get a couple short throws for small gains and that would be it.nothing deep would get by though.

Green would shut down moss period.

Moss is a good wr for this team. But lets not be mistaken. If this team had any type of quality #2 wr. Moss would not be breaking a record tomorrow.

Moss is not even on the great all time redskins wr list yet. Its one very good season. Next year with a true #2 next to him the numbers drop. Let him give us 3-4 1000 yd seasons, and then lets talk about "greatest" :2cents:

doesn't mean he's not good, just we have no other options.

When I think of great skins wr's I think of clark, monk, and sanders all getting 1000 yards in THE SAME season, the first team to ever have that, and only one other has done it.. (colts last year). Just think of what type of numbers they could have put up if they were the "one" wr on the team. I guess Monk is really the only one that had that chance... and he was the first to catch over 100 balls in a season.

One thing I can't get over is the lack of him getting double teamed. It has happened, but not nearly enough If I was an opposing Defense Cord. but hey thats why they get the big bucks....

MadMonkey,

Good point! I had forgotten about Green covering Moss and shutting down 1 on 1 all day long!!!

I believe Green was the fastest man in the NFL for several years...

I believe his 40 time was a streaking 4.1???

I do remember hearing a interview with Green sometime ago...

Where he was asked who the toughest guy he ever covered?

And Darrell gave this title to Mike Quick from Philadelphia...

Archived