Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the Redskins are Going to the Super Bowl

skins fan1010

Quoting a homer site is quite good for the self-esteem, isn't it?

Nice authority to cite. No bias here!

Too bad the "best team in the NFC" couldn't beat the Raiders. At home. I guess what they say about the AFC being better than the NFC is true. Even the worst team in the AFC can beat the "best" team in the NFC!

The "best team in the NFC" is 3-4 on the road, got blown out by a division rival 36-0, beat the amazing Cardinals by 3, and is 9-6 on the season. I fear for the future of the NFL if the best team can only go 9-7 or 10-6 (pending this week's game at Philly). Back in the old days, good teams used to go 12-4, 13-3, 14-2. Not 10-6, or 9-7. I guess we have different standards for the "best" now...

Niners fan??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too bad the "best team in the NFC" couldn't beat the Raiders. At home. I guess what they say about the AFC being better than the NFC is true. Even the worst team in the AFC can beat the "best" team in the NFC!

The "best team in the NFC" is 3-4 on the road, got blown out by a division rival 36-0, beat the amazing Cardinals by 3, and is 9-6 on the season. I fear for the future of the NFL if the best team can only go 9-7 or 10-6 (pending this week's game at Philly). Back in the old days, good teams used to go 12-4, 13-3, 14-2. Not 10-6, or 9-7. I guess we have different standards for the "best" now...

Ever since the loss to Oakland at home, the philosophy and attitude of the Skins have changed. It's no longer the same hapless team that we had grown to hate. If the Skins go far in the playoffs, we shouldn't be surprised. But beating Philly is the first priority.

http://countertrey.blogspot.com/2005/12/redskins-are-best-team-in-nfc.html

Excerpt:

The Redskins are the best team in the NFC. That might be like the one-eyed man being king in the world of the blind, but never the less, the Redskins are the best team in the NFC. Fans who would like to see the NFC upset the AFC in this year’s Super Bowl should be rooting for the Redskins to get there because they have the best chance to do it.

Others might argue that Seattle and Chicago, the teams that own the number one and two seeds in the NFC playoffs, respectively, are best. True, those teams have a collective 19 wins and 2 losses against NFC opponents, but they have a collective 0 wins and 2 losses against the Redskins. That’s worth repeating: The Seahawks and Bears are 19 - 0 against NFC opponents not named the Redskins and 0 – 2 against the Redskins this year.

Seattle plays in the NFC West which is probably the weakest division in the NFL, and plays six games against Arizona, St. Louis, and San Francisco. Those three teams have a combined record of 13 – 32, and Seattle is 6 – 0 against them...

True, but the Bears are a different team with Rex Grossman at the helm. Also, the Skins would need to play them in Chicago. Big difference from game 1.

Read the whole thing at http://countertrey.blogspot.com/2005/12/redskins-are-best-team-in-nfc.html

I dont know why people think the post season will be some kind of cake walk...the Buccaneers will be there- they can beat us, the Seahawks will be there, they should have beat us, the Bears will be there and didnt score an offensive touchdown in the first game with a rookie QB, things have changed. Playoffs will not be an easy thing. The Giants are the team I say with confidence we are capable of beating. C'mon people get a grip this will not be easy, but it will be fun to watch :)

Thank you very much. We did take care of business with you. 36-0. I ain't seeing no sweep. So why the big mouth?

And we did take care of business. We are in position to win or lose the division based how we play. We win this game, the division's ours.

You have to depend on other teams (the Raiders? ha) AND win a game. OR you are out of the playoffs. The Giants are already in.

So coming from a 6-10 season, I think we have taken care of business.

If we lose to the Raiders, we don't deserve the division. But you don't hear me talking about winning the SB when my team isn't even in the playoffs yet, do you?

Seattle has an 11-game winning streak. Are you better? yeah, everybody and his mother is saying they have six easy wins. But they showed up and won them, which is more than I can say for a lot of other teams with easy schedules or easy games. Can you say Raiders? At home? Remember, it's a sixteen -game season, and ALL the games count. Indy and Seattle remembered that, and you can not diminish their success by saying, "easy schedule".

Hey if Seattle is the best team in the NFC, then why did they lose to THE REDSKINS?????????????????????

Yeah thats right we beat the "best team in the NFC".

What can you say about your team beating them?

Nothing, b/c you lost to the Seahawks.

Face it man your Giants suck and arent going nowhere in the playoffs, b/c they CANT WIN ON THE ROAD. Ya'll have beaten the 4ers on the road, and Eagles in OT on the road, and havent beaten a winning team on the road ALL SEASON!

Wait til the playoffs come, and you have to rely on Eli to win a game for you on the road. IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN! Give up man! Big deal we lost 36-0, but we came back with a vengence and beat yall's ass 35-20. When it mattered most we came up big and you didnt.

Now go hop on another teams bandwagon, b/c your VaGiants aren't going nowhere in the playoffs. We have the best chance at beating any team in the NFC, b/c we have proven it. We beat the #1 and #2 seed already. Have your Giants??????? No!!!!!!!

Now go back to your VaGiants board you Pu***!

Everyone should feel good about the chances of the Skins to make it to the superbowl. Consider the NFC playoff picture which is the relevant set of teams to account for when thinking about what it takes to get to the superbowl. If the last regular season week goes the way it "should go" the NFC teams going to the playoffs other than the Redskins are

Seattle

Chicago

NY Giants

Carolina

Tampa Bay

The Skins have already beaten Seattle, Chicago, and the Giants this season. If beating another team doesn't show that they can win against them then what would?

This leaves Tampa Bay, who the Skins could have beaten already this season and maybe did beat regardless of the score. The last second 2 point conversion robbery is legitamately debateable. Anyway the game shows that Washington can beat TB.

And Carolina, who the Skins have not played. We can make some comparissons though such as...Carolina lost to Dallas, Arizona, and Chicago this season....all teams that Washington defeated this season. The only team that Carolina beat this season that beat the Skins was TB and Crlona played TB twice this season, splitting the series. Carolina beat Detroit and Green bay by a combined 4 points, these 2 teams are 8-22 on the season so far. These are diffilcult things to quantify but they illustrate a positive outlook in my opinion. Incidentally there is a stat that applies to these thigns and that the " Strength of victory" stat, this stat is one of the tiebraking stats used by the NFl when it comes to selecting the playoff teams. The Redskins have a strength of victory of .526 which is higher than any other team in the NFL inclulding all of the other 5 teams in the NFC playoff picture at the moment. yes Washington has the worst record of the 6 NFC playoff teams but they also have the highest Strength of schedule of these 6 teams, again, does't mean anything really other than they are on track to make the playoofs with a tougher schedule than anyone else.

So does this mean anything? not really, but it shows that we should all at least feel good about the chances of the SKins to go deep in the playoffs, the SB is NOT out of reach.

The article is homeristic but I remember laughing at skinsfan1010 a few weeks ago when the Skins were 5-6, but he was still predicting a playoff berth for the Skins. It was hard to believe at that juncture but I'll give credit where credit is due. The guy had faith, and look where we are now.

The only part I'll disagree with is that we are definitely better than the Giants. I see the teams as about even, with the winner depending largely on where the game is played. I couldn't pick the Skins to win at the Meadowlands in the playoffs, but there's no way another 36-0 would occur. It was just as anomoulous as the 35-7 Cowboy game.

i remmember when the skins were 5-6 they had just beat arizona so i think they were 6-6 and i was joking around and told this 1 dude at my school that the skins wouldnt lose another game for the rest of the season and after each of the win i was counting down

4 more left, 3 more left n so on and now look where we are

Exactly.

I don't care if we lose to the Bucs in the first round 100000000000000000000000000000000000000-0.

Making the postseason is good enough for me.

What's the point of going to the playoffs then losing? How could that satisfy you? Sure it would be nice to see us GET there but I would CARE if we got shut out by the Bucs in the first round man.

even the seahawks struggled vs the titans...

Gee, I remember an A**-whooping that went the other way, and much, much worse. In the Meadowlands, where you MIGHT get the chance to play, if you even get into the playoffs.

When was the last time you were shut out? I think that was to the Giants, as well.

Points still stand: If you had taken care of business, like beating the Raiders at home, you wouldn't still be behind the Giants in the standings. Now you have to depend on the pitiful Raiders to help you, IF you can win in Philly.

And your big, big four-game winning streak you are all crowing about? Seattle has an 11-game winning streak. So who is the hottest team in the NFC?

Great. Talking about going to the SB before you have even made the playoffs. Smart. And all based on a homer's website. That has as much validity as those UFO websites...

I won't disagree that it's premature to talk about the super bowl, but I would also say it's kind of old to be talking about games that were played in October. It's late December, when the games matter the most, because they directly impact your ability to stay relevant in the playoff race or to likely fade away. To stay in the race for a division crown, or to disappear from that race. When those were the stakes, the Skins won, and they deserve credit for that. Against division rivals who should have had every motivation and every incentive to beat them (home or away). Would those games have been as lopsided had they been played away from FedEx? That's likely, but it doesn't diminish the win.

I don't put a lot of stock into Seattle's loss to the Redskins either or Chicago's loss, because they were early season. What I can say about recent history, is that the Redskins beat a couple of very good teams with a lot on the line, and 4 in a row is 4 in a row, especially when your season is on the line. The Giants deserved all the credit in the world when they did it a few years ago, and the Redskins do now. You shouldn't be trying to diminish that accomplishment. It's also not farfetched to say that the Redskins are the hottest team in the NFC right now, after winning two HUGE division games with a lot of line, one in a thoroughly convincing manner, and the other in a fairly convincing manner (I'd call it thorough but for the unfortunate Brunell int-td).

The Giants didn't win when they could have given themselves the division and their own playoff berth. Instead, they stumbled backwards into their playoff berth last week. The Skins will likely have to again earn their entrance because, as you said, they stumbled earlier (and against a bad Raiders team, and at home, we haven't forgotten it). But at this point they've earned the respect they're getting because for four weeks they've proven that when everything's on the line, they can win. Can the Giants say the same?

Archived