Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green was Great, But Does Anyone Here Remember Pat Fischer?

melonhead1959

5-10, maybe 180 in pads....not very fast, but fearless and ferocious at the cornerback position, Drafted by the Cardinals in 1961, joined the Redskins in 1968(i believe). Played thru the 1977 season. Used to LOVE watching him defend against 6'8" Harold Carmichael of the Eagles. A master of bump and run coverage that was allowed in those days.

Wasn't beneath him to deliver an elbow or a shot out of bounds. Very Intimidating. Recievers feared and loathed him.

He's my favorite redskin player of all time. :cheers:

I remember Pat. The guy looked like a school teacher but was an absolute NUT in pads - and I mean that in a GOOD way. He was one of the first DBs I recall that could frighten a WR into dropping the ball. Wasn't afraid to stick his nose in on run D as well. Played right up to the edge of the rules. Wasn't above breaking them if he thought no one was looking. :silly:

As much fun as he was to watch, he was also victimized on one of the best catches I've ever seen. 'Skins v. Chiefs in '71, I think. Pat was locked up with the great Chiefs receiver, Otis Taylor, on an endzone route and had it defended as well as a DB could. Taylor got his one free arm up over his head and snagged the ball out of the air with one hand.

Thanks for the memories,

CLBinMD

the Redskins have a history of great players in the backfield. Pro bowlers like Darrell Green, Pat Fischer, Kenny Houston, Lemar Parrish, Champ Bailey all the way down to Shawn Springs on today's squad. Perhaps Sean Taylor and Carlos Rogers will be joining that list shortly :)

it seems this team has always had a guy in the secondary to help lead the defense.

Guest GibbSkins11
5-10, maybe 180 in pads....not very fast, but fearless and ferocious at the cornerback position, Drafted by the Cardinals in 1961, joined the Redskins in 1968(i believe). Played thru the 1977 season. Used to LOVE watching him defend against 6'8" Harold Carmichael of the Eagles. A master of bump and run coverage that was allowed in those days.

Wasn't beneath him to deliver an elbow or a shot out of bounds. Very Intimidating. Recievers feared and loathed him.

great thread , we need to bring back the old days more , its like people talking about sonny but what about slingin sammy:applause: :helmet: :applause:

Riggo said he was the only player to ever knock him backwards. He was a great player and tough as nails. I watched him many times and met him a few times also. He also could clothesline and sick you in the eyes and get away with it. Ofcourse thats when they let you play the game

Archived