Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don Banks "2005 Draft Redux"

scuppajones

Don thinks we should have drafted Odell Thurman first to replace Pierce. Then takes a shot at "lesser talent" Lemar Marshall. What is up with this guy?

redskins_65.gif Washington Redskins

ODELL THURMAN, LB, Georgia

Original pick: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

Thurman has played and played well in the middle as a second-round pick in Cincinnati this season. He would have been a nice fit in Washington, where the Redskins lost the emerging Antonio Pierce to the Giants in free agency, replacing him with a lesser talent in Lemar Marshall. Rogers has started opposite Shawn Springs at times, but his impact has been limited thus far.

:eaglesuck

Rodgers has been hurt. I hope Rodgers gets over his injury bug this season because he is going to be a good corner in this league. However, when Rodgers finally got inserted into the starting lineup he excelled. I don't know what games this guy was watching. Running Williams D requires a lot of football intelligence. Pierce is probabaly one of the smarter players in the league. I think Lemar has made great strides this year and has filled in nicely for Pierce. I still think Pierce is a better player, but Lemar has done well. My question to Don concerning these players is Thurman as smart as Lemar?

Here is the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/12/29/draft.redo/index.html

I looked at Thurman's stats, they were similar to Marshall's, he has 20 more tackles 1 int for a TD like Lemar. I doubt he is setting up the defense and making all the adjustments the LeMar is though. I wonder if Don Banks looked at Lemar stats or saw the play he made in the Giants game last week?

The fact that he has Samkon Gado at #8 tells you all you need to know about this article - it's for entertainment value only.

I'm willing to acknowledge that Washington is not as good as Pierce at making plays, and he may not even be as good as Pierce was at being an on-field general. He's certainly been adequate or better for us though. It's not like our defense is hurting.

What's equally clear is that Harris' cover skills (and even his tackling skills to a lesser degree) have declined and so Rogers emergence as a good and even excellent CB at times has been very important for us.

The fact that he has Samkon Gado at #8 tells you all you need to know about this article - it's for entertainment value only.

I'm willing to acknowledge that Washington is not as good as Pierce at making plays, and he may not even be as good as Pierce was at being an on-field general. He's certainly been adequate or better for us though. It's not like our defense is hurting.

What's equally clear is that Harris' cover skills (and even his tackling skills to a lesser degree) have declined and so Rogers emergence as a good and even excellent CB at times has been very important for us.

:applause:

While I wouldn't mind having Thurman, what makes anybody think he is better than Marshall. Marshall had some growing pains early in the year but he has been tremendous down the stretch.

On the surface Thurman and Marshall's numbers look almost identical but Marshall has considerably more solo tackles than Thurman. Thurman may end up being a better player down the road but he might not. Considering this is Marshall first year at the position he has done very well.

It's pretty clear that Banks hasn't seen the Skins play much this year. Before his injury Rogers looked like the 1st round pick that he was supposed to be.

Lemar understands this defense now. He has made some big plays this last month and his comfort level has increased with each passing week. If you watch closely he is always around the ball. I'm very happy with Lemar.

I quote myself because I don't think that Lemar has received the credit he deserves. Yet another big play by Lemar. IMHO he is right there with Antonio Peirce.

I quote myself because I don't think that Lemar has received the credit he deserves. Yet another big play by Lemar. IMHO he is right there with Antonio Peirce.

I agree. I especially love him in pass coverage, which is an odd thing to say about a MLB. He's got great hands and very good ball reaction skills.

Marshall has MORE than replaced Pierce's performance. He's been great. We can't measure the intangibles like getting guys in the right position, but, the tangible, stat measure, and Marshall stacks up well with most players at that spot.

Archived