Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is 4th quarter playcalling more aggressive or is execution just better?

Most of the threads that you start are in the form of a question. If you are the smartestmaninamerica you should have already known the answers.

Anyway, I selected both even though I think that better execution in the running game has allowed the slightly more aggressive play calling.

Monte,

I was under the impression that these threads were supposed to create interesting discussion and exchange of ideas, not an opportunity for me to pontificate. I already know what I think. I want to know what you think :)

T.S.M.I.A.

It's both, but I think the playcalling is maybe not really more agressive but simply LESS predictable. We have broken from the habit of run, run, pass now. Now it might be run, pass, run. Or even pass, run, run, LOL!

Seriously though it is better playcalling which puts our players in a better position to execute the play, which they have been doing. I think the playcalling has been the bigger factor.

Great question by the way.

Thank you, being T.S.M.I.A. is a big responsibility :) Seriously though, I type a bunch of really stupid questions in here, then while re-reading them before I actually post, I realize they are really idiotic and delete them - lol.

There is a fine line between T.S.M.I.A and T.D.M.I.A.

M

Unless you have a different understanding of what aggressive playcalling is, how can anyone even think our playcalling is aggressive in the 4th? By aggressive playcalling, I mean plays called to primarily to get the ball downfield.

In the last 4 games, almost 78% of our fourth quarter plays have been running plays (not including QB scrambles) which, unless the opposing defense makes a mistake, won't go for more than 15 yards! Even the few passes have been dumps to Cooley or Portis or short passes to Moss, these pass plays were NOT designed to get huge yardage but to move the chains. On several occassions, we've run when before we would have passed. In the previous games, we mostly passed in Q4, including a lot of tries downfield. We are more likely to run on 2 and short than at the beginning of the season and over the last 4, we have actually run it on 3 and long, something we did NOT do earlier in the season.

Folks have been feeling lately that we have become more aggressive in the 4th quarter as far as playcalling - developing more of a "killer instinct".

However, I am wondering if maybe we are mistaking better execution of a conservative gameplan for more aggressive playcalling? Honestly, I don't know the answer and would appreciate some input from better students of the game than I.

Thanks.

My answer to the Thread question is YES! :D

Monte,

I was under the impression that these threads were supposed to create interesting discussion and exchange of ideas, not an opportunity for me to pontificate. I already know what I think. I want to know what you think :)

T.S.M.I.A.

T.S.M.I.A,

My first paragraph was an attempt at humor. I guess I swung and missed. :(

Sharp execution will always make playcalling look great.

I don't see us doing anything radically different than earlier in the season, other than a commitment to smashmouth football, so in some ways we've gotten more conservative.

I just think the offensive line is playing with a chip on their shoulders and that's filtered through to the rest of the offense.

I definitely think it's execution. The offensive line play is much better and look at the screen passes to Moss. He's breaking those for gains whereas earlier in the season they were not working. Of course I think you have to factor in some adjustments too, especially in the blocking schemes.

After seeing the Raiders get drubbed every week I still cannot for the life of me figure out how we lost to them.

MC

Archived