Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is 4th quarter playcalling more aggressive or is execution just better?

Folks have been feeling lately that we have become more aggressive in the 4th quarter as far as playcalling - developing more of a "killer instinct".

However, I am wondering if maybe we are mistaking better execution of a conservative gameplan for more aggressive playcalling? Honestly, I don't know the answer and would appreciate some input from better students of the game than I.

Thanks.

i can't say i'm a better student than the smartest man in america (and frankly i don't have stats to back this up), but my guess is it's execution.

go back to portis's run (6 yards + ?) that went for a first and sealed the 'zona game. we ran in a similar situation against the bucs but were stopped short ... with the cards' receivers, if cp doesn't get that first, we're in serious danger of losing that game in heartbreaking fashion a la tampa.

I am thinking more aggressive as well, thus resulting in better execution. Remember what Portis said recently? The coaches are letting the players play. Gibbs sort of laughed that off but I think there is something to it.

I believe the coaches are letting the players be more aggressive (which comes naturally to them) and as their warrior instinct kicks in, they perform at a higher level.

In this case, "after this, therefore because of this" may apply.

Who's to say I am the smarter than the smartest man in America? :doh:

But to your question, it is about better execution. Gibbs has alluded to 98% attendance in mini-camp and the team had a closed door meeting to find out their identity, which is running the ball.

Gibbs has always been somewhat conservative. When he has the lead, he expects to pound the ball and be more physical and in better shape than the other team. I think the players are finally buying into that mentality.

The playcalling leads to the better execution. Earlier in the season, ESPECIALLY in the Oakland game, Gibbs was running on EVERY 1st and 2nd down. We didnt execute, i.e. gain yardage, because everyone in the stadium knew what was coming.

Now that the play calling is more aggressive in the 4th, it opens everything up. Just like in the 1st 2nd and 3rd quarters.

I would assume better execution.

However, another thing that you need to keep in mind is that we've been nursing larger leads too. I think in some ways, it's easier for a coach to throw the ball on first down when they're up 15 rather than when they're up 3.

Even a catastrophic mistake keeps you up a score. Just an observation...

Guest GibbSkins11

joe gibbs is a hall of fame coach , i wouldnt worry bout his playcalling , id put his playcalling up against any coach in nfl past or present:applause: :applause: :applause:

The playcalling leads to the better execution. Earlier in the season, ESPECIALLY in the Oakland game, Gibbs was running on EVERY 1st and 2nd down. We didnt execute, i.e. gain yardage, because everyone in the stadium knew what was coming.

Now that the play calling is more aggressive in the 4th, it opens everything up. Just like in the 1st 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Gibbs was not running much in the second half of that game considering we ran the ball 6 times, the whole half

Both. IT goes back to the Vet talk after the Raiders game....the onus is on the players to execute, and in exchange the coaches will try to build up bigger leads earlier....

The players know they would rather be protecting a lead in the 2nd half, than trying to play catch-up....

I think its both, but mainly execution.

Because the team has been executing well, this allows the coach to do more aggressive things EARLIER in the game. We didn't score 35 points in our two last games by playing ultra-conservative early in the game. Once we have that big cushion, they are able to play with confidence in the 4th quarter, running the ball to kill the clock.

As others have stated, earlier this season when we'd try to run the ball in the 4th to nurse our lead, we'd get stuffed. Now, we're wearing other teams down and getting 5+ yards a carry when it counts.

It's both, but I think the playcalling is maybe not really more agressive but simply LESS predictable. We have broken from the habit of run, run, pass now. Now it might be run, pass, run. Or even pass, run, run, LOL!

Seriously though it is better playcalling which puts our players in a better position to execute the play, which they have been doing. I think the playcalling has been the bigger factor.

Great question by the way.

Archived