Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Bend but don't break"

skinsaddict

I forget which mediot said it last weekend, but I feel this is the best description for our defense. Thinking about Gregg Williams and last weeks roster moves, it makes total sense.

Someone on here said GW builds his defense from the secondary to the LB to the DL, in that order. That is a good thing because it puts your best athletes in a "prevent" type D that keeps most plays from producing huge touchdowns. We gave up a few, but I can't remeber any teams dropping bombs on us in the passing game.

People are asking why did we sign another DB to the teams. He is 6'0, fast as hell and big. Sounds like someone who can easily blutz and produce some big hits. I am 100% any moves by GW.

I sm going to miss GW next year!

Thoughts?

I completely disagree with your assessment. We blitz often, and with lots of people. We tend to give up big plays deep because of this. A true "bend but don't break" defense would be a squad that doesn't blitz much, but always keeps people deep to prevent the big play.

Also, Williams works with what he has. With Tennessee his defensive line was top notch with Javon Kearse. Then with Buffalo their big player was Takeo Spikes.

I completely disagree with your assessment. We blitz often, and with lots of people. We tend to give up big plays deep because of this. A true "bend but don't break" defense would be a squad that doesn't blitz much, but always keeps people deep to prevent the big play.

Also, Williams works with what he has. With Tennessee his defensive line was top notch with Javon Kearse. Then with Buffalo their big player was Takeo Spikes.

the number of big plays given up has been minimal, which is a HUGE reason ever game has been close. every week it seems the system is working more and more.

we do have a pass rush now (finally!) and that is taking a lot of pressure off the secondary.

Archived