Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The unfullfilled expectations of Lavar Arrington

Lavarleap56

I have been a HUGE Lavar fan up untill this morning when i read the WT article and as off that time my affection for him as a Redskin and a player died. Lavar came to the Redskins with great potential and high expectations which he helped create. I can remember standing at FED-EX field for draft day when he was addressing the fans on the club level and talking smack about what he was gonna bring to this team and what he was gonna do to the Cowboys and he even went so far as to say that he was going to strive to be better than Lawrence Taylor and even take the same number so he could be compared to him.

The love affair with Lavar began instantly with Lavar and the fans. I remember Lavars first highlight play as a pro when he broke in the backfield against clevland and layed a kill shot on a RB as soon as he took the handoff, it felt like the begining of something special.Lavar had ups and downs his rookie campaign but man when he took Aikman out we thought we had the second coming of L.T. a LB who will strike fear in opponents and lead our team like Ray Lewis does in Baltimore, Boy were we wrong.

Instead of Lavar blossoming into a strong positive team leader over his tenure in Washington i believe he is the last remaining piece that doesnt fit the mold of a winning organization. Lets look at the Ravens, Every player on that team feels accountable to Ray lewis and he is the unquestioned leader of that team and u cant help but see that. Lavar we hoped would be that for us and he was nothing close. After 5 seasons and millions of dollars later Lavar now lets us know why he hasnt become that demanding leader in the locker room, Football is just a game to him and he isnt concerned with making a game saving fumble or interception for the other 51 players on the roster. I agree that football is a game and should be played like one but what about the love and respect of the game? where is the drive to be great?? Where the hell is the competitive drive? What do you think you are getting paid millions of dollars to do?

If Lavar doesnt take this game seriously and expect Nfl owners to have the same feeling , he is sadly mistaken. This is not a game to them they dont pay you millions of millions of dollars to go out and act as if youre just playing around for your amusement. When you are the highest paid player on your team you have a responsibility to set the the standard for your team, you have a responsibility to the players , coaches, owner, and the fans to live up to that contract. Lavar you want to compare yourself to Brett Favre and Ray Lewis and there iconic status amongst there cities, But why ? You have demonstrated through your words and your actions that you are not close to being in there league and if i were them i would be offended. Brett Favre displays everything that is great about this game and the fire it takes to play it. Ray Lewis is one of the most determined defensive players in this league and will carry his team on his shoulders if it is neccassarryto do so for a victory.

Lavar the Redskins are 3 days away from playing in the biggest game of the season and you choose to come out now and say the things you did? WHY??? Why is it that when this team starts to pick up momentum and take positive steps forward you must do something to bring it back a few?? Why continually put yourself above the team and stir up controversey at the worst possible times?

Lavar i hope i never here the words " i love the Redskins" " I bleed Burgandy and Gold" come out of you mouth again because it is not true. Lavar i hope for your last few weeks in Washington you look around your locker room and take note of what a real Redskin is cause you have not been one for awhile. If this took a personal angle towards Lavar at the end i did not intend to do so just got in a flow of emotions and let it flow. I am dissapointed that i put so much faith in a player only to have him continually yank my heart out again and again. Heres to Real Redskins and may they lead us to the promise land.

regardless of what Arrington said and when, I have no doubt the Washington Times after battling Snyder for years would love to see this distract the Skins this weekend against the Eagles.

the last thing these critics want to see is Snyder succeed in bringing back Gibbs and going on to win games a la Jerry Jones in Dallas in the 1990's.

that would just about kill these people :D

Anyone that doesn't realize that LAVAR is a mean mean tackling machine must be blind.

He takes hard players down with ONE hand!!!!

He is FAST,HARD HITTING<In last weeks game he was in so fast the officials called him off sides,HE WASN'T OFF SIDES hes just FAST!

The ball was hiked he was there!! THAT WAS A bad CALL.

I LOVE LAVAR HES A GREAT TEAM PLAYER,HE PUTS FEAR INTO ANY OPPOSING QUARTERBACK.

OUR DEFENCE IS FANTASTIC!

Thats good enough for me:logo: :eaglesuck

lol please.

I actually found it great he said what he did, about knowing it was only a game.

its time people realized there are more important things than football. Arrington will play football for maybe 10-15 years out of mabye a 70 year life. He realizes there are more important things, and as long as he does what he does on the field, and is a good teamate, kudos to him.

Stop bashing him for being a man.

** the last remaining piece that doesnt fit the mold of a winning organization. **

That's the bottom line.

When the Skins were 6-10 every year, Lavar was a "superstar."

Now that they're a playoff caliber team, Lavar provides part-time assistance on running downs. They didn't need him at all to stomp the Cowboys 35-7.

Lavar is an overpaid underachiever who can't shut up. This is not an ideal combination...

** the last remaining piece that doesnt fit the mold of a winning organization. **

That's the bottom line.

Now that they're a playoff caliber team, Lavar provides part-time assistance on running downs. They didn't need him at all to stomp the Cowboys 35-7.

Lavar is an overpaid underachiever who can't shut up. This is not an ideal combination...

The timing of this article is very suspect, and probably not under LA's control. That said, who benefits the most from sowing dissension amongst the Redskins faithful? Dallas. This is a classic psyops-like move on the part of the WT. So while my respect for LA has diminshed greatly, I don't lay this ALL at his doorstep. Your enemy will seek to exploit any weakness they can.

Stay focused on beating Philly. Sort this noise out later...after the Super Bowl.

:eaglesuck

That's the bottom line.

He was a superstar (and 3 time pro bowl player) on the 4th, 10th and 5th rated defenses in football. He and his defensive teammates held up their end through most of the "6-10" seasons. Are you holding LaVar at fault for our horrid offenses over this time?

How about last year? LaVar was out, we had the 3rd rated D and still finished 6-10. Who's fault is that? Marcus Washington? By your logic, yes. Marcus Washington was a "star" player on a 6-10 team. Makes alot of sense doesn't it? :rolleyes:

For the life of me, the utter contempt some people on this board have for LaVar Arrington is stunning. Absolutely stunning.

lol please.

I actually found it great he said what he did, about knowing it was only a game.

its time people realized there are more important things than football. Arrington will play football for maybe 10-15 years out of mabye a 70 year life. He realizes there are more important things, and as long as he does what he does on the field, and is a good teamate, kudos to him.

Stop bashing him for being a man.

Good call, man. I think he's got a good view of what his life and future can be all about, and see nothing wrong with what he said. And I think you've got a good view of the whole picture, too.

I would truly love to know when Lavar made them remarks. I bet it was sometime in Sept or October when he wasn't playing at all

exactly!!!!!

who knows when.

the article doesn't make sense.."I might retire".."I won't restucture"..and "I'd like to be Charger"..come on!

you can kinda see right through the B.S.

Screw this writer..someone in D.C. kick his ars for me..LOL

regardless of what Arrington said and when, I have no doubt the Washington Times after battling Snyder for years would love to see this distract the Skins this weekend against the Eagles.

the last thing these critics want to see is Snyder succeed in bringing back Gibbs and going on to win games a la Jerry Jones in Dallas in the 1990's.

that would just about kill these people :D

:applause: That's the truth. People are too easily taken in by media.

I'm glad some people are keeping this in perspective and seeing that the media manipulates to make a story and a paper with an ax to grind can be dangerous.

The funny thing about that article was there was NO QUOTE of LaVar saying he wanted to be a Charger. The writer just attributed the comments to him.

Also, as a Redskin fan, I kinda liked most of what he said. Some point to the Redskins record while he's been here and I have to ask, who was in charge during that time? Dan Snyder!! Snyder screwed this whole situation up with LaVar with his bullying tactics and treating an All-Pro LB like he was an adminstrative assistant making 40G/yr. LaVar saying he wanted to be here, is flattering to the fans and the organization. LaVar saying he might retire instead of playing somewhere else, that's flattering to the fans and the organization. LaVar saying he might not be welcomed back next year is a reality, and probably the only negative thing said by him in the article, but he also said he understands that.

I'm looking for something that makes people dislike him b/c of what he said. Nothing he said or was quoted as saying was bad. The inferences made by the writer, looking to stir controversy, those were the bad things and they were all attributed to LaVar, not quoted to him.

As for a distraction, cummon. You don't think 3/4 of the players in that locker room have had comments taken out of context by the media. You don't think they all understand what this writer was trying to do. I would think if anything, this may bring the team together more. Knowing that people are trying to break them apart and trying to fracture the team. You have to remember, these are guys that take very little to motivate them. Something like this could be just a little bit more incentive. Remember, there aren't many people in that locker room that don't love LaVar. Not many at all.

Mr. Lavarleap56,

But Lavar & the defense has been top 10 the last 5 years except the Edwards year. Was it Lavar's & the defenses fault expectations weren't fullfilled? Or was it Jeff Georges, Tony Banks, Shane Mathews, Danny Wuerfuls & the offenses?

No coaches has put in three years straight? Could that be why expectations weren't fullfilled? Or are unfullfilled expectations really on Lavar?

Is this just emotionally based?

Mr. Lavarleap56,

But Lavar & the defense has been top 10 the last 5 years except the Edwards year. Was it Lavar's & the defenses fault expectations weren't fullfilled? Or was it Jeff Georges, Tony Banks, Shane Mathews, Danny Wuerfuls & the offenses?

No coaches has put in three years straight? Could that be why expectations weren't fullfilled? Or are unfullfilled expectations really on Lavar?

Is this just emotionally based?

Who gives a flying **** what the defense ranking was those years? Or that Lavar went to the pro bowl for making a handful of great plays to go with his several dozen miscues that go unnoticed?

Fact is, the team is winning games now and he isn't even a major factor in that record. And the best D this team has had in a decade doesn't even need him on the field to keep doing well. Now, Taylor or Griffin miss a game and the opponent can run or pass with realtive ease on the D.

Lavar is inferior to several undrafted LBers we have had around here for the past few seasons and he doesn't like it.

But he is still getting paid and he probably knows that he makes a lot of money for a non-factor and probably won't be around much longer. The dude will make as much as we could use to get several great players for next year. 3 Marcus Washingtons are cheaper than 1 overrated Lavar so why keep him around when he is in every way an inferior player?

Why ***** to the media about this anyway? It's not like they can save his ass or anything. This guy is probably one of the dumbest in sports. Just about everything he has said to the media in the past year he has had to apologize for or say that they misquoted him on or was a flat out provable lie, so why even open the mouth? Really.

How many more feet can he fit in there? And where is he getting them all from? No wonder the guy is always injured.

Archived