Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After further review: 30 things that I KNOW about the 2005 Washington Redskins

Beaudry

After further review:

1. This Saturday we soundly beat a very good football team. Two straight weeks of that is pretty impressive. Take nothing away from the Giants, they have a quality team up there.

2. Nobody can complain about the refs in the Giants game. It looked like every questionable call went our way. Still, we would have beat them either way.

3. Our offensive line did a very good job again. Most impressive is that they are rarely getting beaten man for man. We are also picking up stunts and blitzes better than before. That probably has a lot to do with just having more playing time.

furthermore on the offensive line...

4. Casey Rabach is not a "great" player. He can be beaten or pushed around. Physically, he just isn't a dominator. Still, he is a HUGE upgrade over last year's center position, which was getting blown backwards on a routine basis.

5. Dockery looks like a beast, but he's just slow footed. It's a struggle for him to pull, get momentum, and hit somebody. He has improved in pass protection this year, though.

6. Samuels is an A+ tackle. He is just so nimble for a lineman. He does a terrific job pulling outside and sealing an edge. Just a very good football player. That KC game was an aberration, probably due to crowd noise.

7. Jansen did an admirable job against Strahan, but he got a lot of help. Still, he is a "rock" at RT. He's a great drive blocker and decent in pass protection.

8. Randy Thomas was having a good year. He's a good pulling guard and solid all around. Ray Brown did a very good job filling in. Brown is obviously a much better guard than tackle. I don’t know why we bother making the old man pull, though. It's obviously not his forte. He and Jansen make a pure power right side.

9. The two big differences this season: better block and receivers who catch the ball.

10. How is Chris Cooley getting so many yards on screens? The guy has decent speed, runs the routes, and has superb hands for TE/FB. Still, he's not the most "nifty" guy that I've ever seen. It's like the anti-Santana on the screens.

11. It is nice to have a TE/FB/HB who is $$$.

12. Santana Moss is just damn good. Only a few drops all season long and he makes the big play. Have we seen him drop a deep pass yet?

13. Mark Brunell just needs protection and he will get the job done. Ramsey is probably the same, but he might need even more protection because he is a statue back there.

14. James Thrash can block and make the easy catch. He's a below average #2 receiver, but just his blocking will give us more than Patten or Jacobs have shown.

15. Mike Sellers is an excellent lead blocker. He's faster than you would expect for a such a big powerful player. Cooley does a good job of getting position, but Sellers can make a hole.

16. Our punter will not be in the NFL next season. Horrible inconsistency.

17. Our special teams coverage units do a great job. Antonio Brown at least gives us a little hope for a big return.

18. Wynn, Griffin, Joe the Samoan, and Daniels.... you just cannot run on that front four.

19. Chris Clemons is a better pass rusher than Arrington or Washington.

20. Against the Giants, it looked like Lavar's only job was to immediately attack the fullback. Jim Finn must have been a hurting until come Christmas morning. By having Lavar do this so often he single-handedly disrupted at least 5 plays.

21. Marcus Washington is pretty good at everything.

22. Ryan Clark takes some pretty bad angles in run support. He's a tough guy, but he could be upgraded.

23. Our safety's aren't good natural blitzers. Matt Bowen seemed to have this skill, but our current squad seems to run into each other.

24. Our coaching staff has done one hell of a great job. This is a tough team that really believes in their leadership. This season I have not seen one game where our guys didn't show effort. Ask the Norv Turner lead Oakland Raiders if they can say the same.

25. The offensive play calling against the Giants was really top notch. We ran just about every type of run blocking scheme imaginable. We ran the Broncos "stretch" runs (not effective, the OL didn't look really comfortable with that), we pull offside on the counter tre, we pull both guards on a sweep, we ran traps, we ran a draw, we pull the off guard, we straight up busted forward, we ran inside, outside, crossways, every witch way. The Giants occasionally blitzed or stunted to the right side, but overall it was a good game.

26. I don't see what Ladanian Tomlinson does all that different than Clinton Portis. I think if they switched teams, everybody in the league would say "Portis is obviously the best running back in the league!"

27. Our defense tackles hard and tackles well. They also have great pursuit to the ball and are good at gang tackling.

28. Last week somebody said "if we run a slant we will easily get a 1st down". We ran one early and threw a pick. Still, this general idea is true. That play is open for us to exploit and Santana Moss could make the hall of fame running it.

29. Betts is an above average backup, but he won't make anybody forget about Portis. Very good catching, blocking, and for the Portis breather.

30. No matter what happens on Sunday, this is a team that has made me proud to be a fan. This season has been a success if only because we have competed against every team that we have played.

I agree with #13, although I know everyone has this big hatred towards Ramsey. I know the guy threw 33 Td's and lik 26 Int's with Spurrier. But with Joe Gibbs back you don't have to have an extremely great quaterback behind center. Joe Gibbs offense is a system built for any Qb to succeed, and I (unlike many others) believe that if Patrick starts this week against Philly, he will do fine.

I agree with #13, although I know everyone has this big hatred towards Ramsey. I know the guy threw 33 Td's and lik 26 Int's with Spurrier. But with Joe Gibbs back you don't have to have an extremely great quaterback behind center. Joe Gibbs offense is a system built for any Qb to succeed, and I (unlike many others) believe that if Patrick starts this week against Philly, he will do fine.

I agree. I'm starting to think it's not a given that he's gone after this year. I think we hold onto him for at least another year as Brunell's backup. I think this extended time behind a smart veteran and listening to a good coaching staff will help turn his career around. He probably needed time to really learn the NFL and recover from the shellshock of the Spurrier years. Afterall, this is only his second real season in the NFL. Spurrier did not use an NFL scheme, approach or anything. It was basically a college outfit playing NFL teams.

:logo:

#12. Moss is SUCH an upgrade from L. Coles of last year... Coles may have been hampered by the bad toe but still Moss is a burner that makes things happen... With a adequate no. 2 WR next year, he should continue to make big plays...

Also, what is the turnover ratio in these last 4 games? That has been huge also...

:logo:

Excellent Beaudry.

I would add #31 Sean Taylor gives opposing offensive coordiantors fits, and I think Gregg Williams loves to move him around so offenses dont know what part of the field they can attack.

and #32 with all the injuries to the CB's, no one has really been exploited all season, especially in the last 3 or 4 games when Springs Harris AND Carlos were all at less than 100%.

I'm not so sure how "great" Taylor has been this year. He flies in like a missle in run support, but that means that sometimes he will miss. I don't know if it's the coordinator who is concerned with him or the receivers. He's been intimidating receivers all season long.

I agree. I'm starting to think it's not a given that he's gone after this year. I think we hold onto him for at least another year as Brunell's backup. I think this extended time behind a smart veteran and listening to a good coaching staff will help turn his career around. He probably needed time to really learn the NFL and recover from the shellshock of the Spurrier years. Afterall, this is only his second real season in the NFL. Spurrier did not use an NFL scheme, approach or anything. It was basically a college outfit playing NFL teams.

I dont think he is gone unless some team over trades for him. "Reports" indicate that Jason is not looking as up to speed as the coaches had hoped.

Great post. I agree on all. I also agree that Patrick isn't necessarily gone.... I'd like to see him given a chance.

I love Mike Sellers. I loved him the first time he was here. I still love him.

And Cooley.. what can you say? He's the perfect "Redskins" in Gibbs' eyes.

And as for Santana "Claus" Moss.. what can you say .. I read somewhere I think that he has as many touchdowns as the entire Jets' team totally (granted an injury-riddled Jets team).

can't believe u didn't a thing about the grim reaper :doh:. otherwise really good post

Was going to say the same thing.. no love for Mr Taylor, other teams have to game plan around him... see Nov. 13 @ Buccaneers 4:15pm ET FOX / 707 L 35 - 36 Taylor was not in the game and the buck threw all over us..

Receivers dropping plays just because he is near...

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

2005 Washington Redskins 14 61 52.0 9 1 2 34 17.0 32 0 8

:2cents:

Archived