Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happens when/if Lavar gets cut?..salary cap wise..anyone know the details?

dmauro1

A trade is easily possible given he has no signing bonus so teams could rework his salary into one and accomplish it without worry. We save money against his projected cap hit if we cut him or trade him -- about $1 million. There is some amount we can pro-rate within his projected $12 million hit as well to bring that down whether he wishes to help or not should we keep him.

A trade is easily possible given he has no signing bonus so teams could rework his salary into one and accomplish it without worry. We save money against his projected cap hit if we cut him or trade him -- about $1 million. There is some amount we can pro-rate within his projected $12 million hit as well to bring that down whether he wishes to help or not should we keep him.

What would "reworking" Lavar's contract due as far as incentive to Lavar. I dont think teams would even touch what his current deal calls for, so the pay cut would amount to playing football for peanuts...so now I understand the retirement quote I just read..and 1 million isnt a big savings..ouch

Not sure what you're asking.

The "incentive" due to LaVar can be converted by the team into a signing bonus whether LaVar wants it to be or not so that will lower the cap hit substantially should we wish to keep him. Additionally given this is a contractual trigger, any team wanting LaVar would essentially be able to get him for a $6.5 million signing bonus and relatively stable contract otherwise.

The question on our part is draft day whether we can get something in the top half of the first round or not as that will likely be when a decision is made on him.

Archived