Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could we be the NFC "team to beat" of the future?

#1SkinsFan

I think we will be the NFC team to beat next year. We got some great franchise players in Moss,Cooley,Portis, Taylor, to just name a few. Brunell is good for a couple more years, then we need to find a good young quarterback to take the helm (Campbell?). I think we can dominate next year given that nothing horrible goes wrong in the offseason and we keep playing the way we are right now next year. We can be great!

Jason Campbell had a pretty good run with a run-heavy team at Auburn. If he could get it done with Cadillac and Ronnie there is hope that he can do it here as well with some seasoning. My hope is that Brunell can stick it out one more year and then turn over the reins to Jason. In the meantime a couple of playoff berths would sure go a long way. Once you are a playoff caliber team you can justify spending big bucks to bring in a couple more guys to push you over the top. You just have to be careful not to go overboard and mess with chemistry like what we saw in 2000. But I think that we are in much better hands Gibbs than Norv.

For the long term I think we are in nice shape. Almost all of our key guys are on the right side of 30 except for Lemar Marshall. But you see linebackers who can contribute well into their 30s. In my opinion the biggest question marks are going to be 1) Gregg Williams and 2) Lavar's contract situation. Beyond that I think that these are the times that you want to start looking into extending guys like Cooley and Taylor for the long haul before they become very expensive.

Just wondering. Looking at the PRESENT NFC, I feel that we can beat ANYBODY......right now. I look at the current NFC playoff race. The two 'highest rated' NFC teams both have lost to us. We have beat everyone in our division at least once.

With Joe Gibbs getting a better handle on the current NFL and with our stellar defensive coaching staff (which I hope stays intact), are we actually primed for a 3, 4 or 5 year run at the playoffs (similar to what the Eagles have done lately).....or are we just having a good year THIS year, and are resigned to make our beds in the muck & mire of mediocrity??? I mean, we have all the tools, and have a future QB for the team in Jason Campbell. Most of our players are young, and have been able to handle business as of late and get us back into the playoff race. With a few picks in the draft to sure up our D-Line and Wr's, could we be the team of the future, that everybody will be scared to play? ( not to mention that we have one of the hardest stadiums to play in, in all of the NFL)!

thoughts????????????

Good Thread. I try and never look ahead and I surely did not spend any time thinking about the playoffs this year. I only needed 8 games and was looking at the playoffs as a possibility for next year. Then, I kept seeing the playoff bracket and the teams there are there after we beat the Giants and realized that 1.) we cannot look past this game with the Eagles but 2) if the season ended right now, we could beat any of those teams in the NFC bracket. Wouldn't that be something?

Good Thread. I try and never look ahead and I surely did not spend any time thinking about the playoffs this year. I only needed 8 games and was looking at the playoffs as a possibility for next year. Then, I kept seeing the playoff bracket and the teams there are there after we beat the Giants and realized that 1.) we cannot look past this game with the Eagles but 2) if the season ended right now, we could beat any of those teams in the NFC bracket. Wouldn't that be something?

thanks and i to think we could beat any team in the nfc if we keep playing the way we have been playing.This team got on a hot streak at the perfect time in the season, and hopefully it'll continue this weekend, and into the playoffs!

:eaglesuck

Someone posted this fact in another thread, but the only "valuable" player we have as a FA is Ryan Clark. The core players will be here next year (with the exception of Arrington and his $12 million cap hit). Add to the fact that we will have no first round player to sign, and the 20 million over the cap becomes manageable. I say sign Clark and release Noble and Bowen (for $4 million savings).

If you guys beat the Eagles, which I hope you do, you'll likely get a second shot at Tampa (I know many of you would love to see some kharmic retribution!) And if you do, I hope you win it. Your next stop would then be Seattle, and I think that would be the end of your ride this season. You beat us in Fedex, but I think we take you in Qwest. You're definitely an up-and-coming team, barring any unforeseen circumstances, but I don't think this is your year to go to the Superbowl. (It's our year, and we've been waiting almost 30 years for our year, dammit! :D )

If you guys beat the Eagles, which I hope you do, you'll likely get a second shot at Tampa (I know many of you would love to see some kharmic retribution!) And if you do, I hope you win it. Your next stop would then be Seattle, and I think that would be the end of your ride this season. You beat us in Fedex, but I think we take you in Qwest. You're definitely an up-and-coming team, barring any unforeseen circumstances, but I don't think this is your year to go to the Superbowl. (It's our year, and we've been waiting almost 30 years for our year, dammit! :D )

We'll see about that! :cool:

Bears at chicago.......gotta be kidding me. i would not want to play bears at chicago. if you look at those two wins.....we played seattle who is horrible on the east coast. something like 5 - 20. bears had a rookie QB and had jsut started the year.. you dont witn that many games in a row and not be good. i still think we could beat them but not as some of you calim how easy it would be.

A lot of it has to do with Ramsey stepping up. Rumor has it JC is not progressing as quickly as we would like. I guess we'll know by next year whether or not Ramsey will be ready to take over the reins.

Ramsey might not be here next year, meaning that'd Brunell would most likely start, and then be replaced by Campbell later on in the season. We'll see though.

Archived