Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Is Your Favorite Redskins Quarterback Of All Time?

melonhead1959

Doug Williams! After all the mess he experienced from racist Tampa fans and the way he carried himself after he lost the starting job with the Redskins, he stayed cool for the good of the team, re-gained the position after a fine relief effort and orchestrated the greatest quarter in Super Bowl -- and arguably all of football -- history.

Doug Williams! After all the mess he experienced from racist Tampa fans and the way he carried himself after he lost the starting job with the Redskins, he stayed cool for the good of the team, re-gained the position after a fine relief effort and orchestrated the greatest quarter in Super Bowl -- and arguably all of football -- history.

Yup...Doug "Touch of Class" Williams...first black QB to win a Super Bowl...and oh, yes...I remember "The Quarter"...I remember it well! HTTR!!! :cheers:

Yup...Doug "Touch of Class" Williams...first black QB to win a Super Bowl...and oh, yes...I remember "The Quarter"...I remember it well! HTTR!!! :cheers:

I was in my dorm room during that game and just about screamed myself to exhaustion in that second quarter! I'll NEVER forget it! My greatest Redskins experience.

Theismann.

1) QB I watched the most in childhood & onward. (thus over the obviously more talented Baugh & Jurgensen)

2) QB here the longest (in my football watching life).

3) QB that lead us to the most Championship games (in my football watching life).

4) I enjoy what he did on the field, I am not concerned by his "style points". (I am neither taken in by his style or rubbed the wrong way for his style). I know that bugged some people.

*I would love a new QB to emerge and take over as my new all-time favorite Redskin QB. Still waiting though...

There are so many to name. Sonny Jurgensen. Billy Kilmer. Joe Theismann. Doug Williams. Mark Rypien. After Rypien left the QB position wasn't solid until Brad Johnson arrived.

But my favorite all time is Doug Williams. Williams was the ultimate field general. He didn't throw many INTs. He rarely overthrew his receivers. He was benched during the 87' season and quarterbacked us to a victory against Minnesota when we would have lost because of Jay Schroeder's poor performance. And most importantly, he lead us to a SB victory in SB XXII.

Joe Theismann, as in Heisman and Doug Williams are tied for me.

I started watching the Skins when Kilmer was throwing up drunk ducks. Theismann was next and that's when it all started for me. I had always liked Doug in Tampa and thought to myself "I'd love to see him play for us". When he did and had "The Quarter" it was a dream come true.

On a side note, I hated Jay Schroeder and didn't care for Rypien too much. I don't know why, but I do remember '91 being a contract year for Ryp and I saw him playing for the money. I am glad that we won that year though.

What about the QB's we let get away? Stan Humpries, Trent Green, Gus Ferr...

Never mind.

Doug Williams.

Remember him? He beat "Superman" in SB XXII.

I remember his quote after the game to this day...

"It will never be remembered as a good day for Doug Williams, but a bad day for John Elway."

Doug Williams = Superman's kriptonite!!

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Justin

aka UltimateSkinsFan

(proud son of a WWII ETO Vet)

Theismann, for ALL of the exact reasons indicated by "Dr. Tough Love."

and i too, really long for a new one, who will be here for 10-15 years, and lead us to many playoff games.

i have this deep hunch of a feeling that Jason Campbell will be that guy.

That's what I'm talking about. I want a QB here is going to be here a long time with a lot of good years. Campbell & Ramsey both have the potential and I would love to see Gibbs have a youngster for a long time (that was really his only disadvantage against the 49ers Superbowl runs). Can you imagine what Gibbs would have done if he had had Joe Theismann or Doug Williams through their prime & their entire careers?

I want to like Patrick, I really do. I hope either he or Jason can be the future here, like you said. Everyone wants to rush and have Jason start or whatever but remember this. Carson Palmer sat for a year, got groomed, and now look. I see Patrick the same way I look at Kyle Boller. He was thrust in and looked bad at times, but if the last 2 weeks are any indication he's not that bad of a QB.

If it means anything, I use Patrick in Madden '06 instead of Mark.

Archived