Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Skins fans can stop worrying about the Eagles game

GSF

Hello Skins fans. Like many of you I'm sure, I've spent the last 2 days a little preoccupied with the possibility of the Redskins making the playoffs. OK, truth be told I can't stop thinking about it. I've also been a little worried about losing to the Eagles. Maybe it's a touch of Norvitis, but let's face it the Redskins of the last decade would lose this game 9 out of 10 times. 3 weeks ago I jokingly said to my buddy, "watch the Skins beat Dallas and NY, only to go on to lay an egg and lose to the Eagles and not get in". Well those words have been ringing in my ears the last 2 days, but after taking a good look at it this morning, I'm now comfortable with saying that it's just not going to happen. Here's why:

1. Joe Gibbs. This is not Norv Turner we're talking about here. As has been said here many times this week, Joe has a tremendous record in late season games. One thing that will not happen with absolute certainty is the players coming in over-confident or overlooking the Eagles. Gibss just won't let it happen, and Williams will help him with that. Remember when everybody was talking about how the Skins were going to kill the 49ers. Coach went beserk on the press questioning if some members of the press actually wanted the Skins to lose. I can guarantee you that the Coach went 10 times as beserk on the players if he felt they were overlooking the 49ers. The coaching staff will keep the players' egos in check this week. No worries there.

2. Eagles QB Mike McMahon. Mike will get the start, but Detmer may actually be the better QB. Reid knows what he has in Detmer(not much), and is using these final games as an audition for McMahon to get the #2 spot behind McNabb next season. Problem is, McMahon has been awful these last few games. His rating for the season is 50.0, his completion percentage is just over 44%, and he has 7 ints to 3 tds. He's had 4 ints in the last 2 weeks against Zona and Stl. He hasn't had much help from his raw WRs, who have been running bad patterns and dropping balls, but the real cause for his performance has been teams have been able to rattle him with the blitz thanks to Philly's banged up oline. This against defenses like Zona, Stl, Sea, and NY. Enter Greg Williams and the Redskins defense. Need I say more?

3. Max protect. The biggest thing that I think Skins fans have been worried about with this game is Jimmy Johnson and that Eagles defense going against Pat Ramsey, or maybe a hobbled Brunell. We all know that the Eagles defense will come to play, and that Johnson will blitz like crazy trying to go after the QB, no matter which guy plays. The good news is that that style of defensive play is is exactly what Gibbs is hoping for. Gibbs will go to almost strictly max protect, the protection will be there, and with so many defenders blitzing people like Moss and Cooley will see a lot more single coverage. The check downs to Cooley, Portis, Royal, and Sellars will be the key to the game, and with the Eagles blitzing, yards will be made on those plays. The Redskins have had some of their better days on offense this year against teams that blitzed heavily. Denver blitzed Brunell over and over again, but they just couldn't get there. The defenses that have really given us more trouble have mostly stuck to rushing 4 and sitting back in coverage. A style of play that is very unlikely from Johnson and his defense.

4. Injuries. I've caught a little bit of some Eagles games in recent weeks, and I can tell you that those guys are banged up. Watching the game, you're going to be thinking, "who are these guys", b/c a lot of guys that are playing now you've never heard of. Add Kearse to the list after he sprained his knee against Zona. Even if the freak is ok to play, I doubt he will. Why risk him in a meaningless game at the end of the season.

The Eagles are a good team. They'll get their players back next year, and they'll be right back in the thick of things. Right now though, they suck, and they probably want nothing more than for this dreadful season to be over. There will be a few guys for the Eagles, like Trotter and BDawk, who will play hard for pride's sake, but it won't be enough. This game just means so much more to the Skins than it does to the Eagles. No way the Skins lose this game.

Redskins 20 Eagles 9

Enjoy Skins fans, and welcome back to the playoffs! :cheers:

To tell you the truth, on the surface I'm not concerned about the game. The Skins are the better team right now and have something to play for.

The thing that bothers me is deeper down. It just a small troubling feeling. It stems from the nature of the Cowboys victory over the Panthers. There's a certain "karma"/"fate" vibe to it and it makes me very uncomfortable.

I'm just nervous about "sinister" forces at work. :paranoid: :)

:eaglesuck

To tell you the truth, on the surface I'm not concerned about the game. The Skins are the better team right now and have something to play for.

The thing that bothers me is deeper down. It just a small troubling feeling. It stems from the nature of the Cowboys victory over the Panthers. There's a certain "karma"/"fate" vibe to it and it makes me very uncomfortable.

I'm just nervous about "sinister" forces at work. :paranoid: :)

:eaglesuck

Those sinister forces wear stripes and throw yellow flags!

You guys worry too much. Damn! The Redskins will win on Sunday. That you can take to the bank. The players knows what is at stake and wouldn't let this one slip away. With that said, if you guys want to continue to worry, go ahead be my guest but you guys are worrying for nothing. Personally I don't think the iggles will try to win the game especially if they go down early in the game. A loss will position them for a favourable draft pick next year. Think about it guys.

GSF.......as an Eagles fan second and an Football fan first, you pretty much hit it right on the nail! Though I think the Eagles will at least score 14 points (Moats run, Perry KO Return) the game will be hard fought and come down to who wants it more.....and at this point, its the Skins!

28-14.......Skins

You guys worry too much. Damn! The Redskins will win on Sunday. That you can take to the bank. The players knows what is at stake and wouldn't let this one slip away. With that said, if you guys want to continue to worry, go ahead be my guest but you guys are worrying for nothing. Personally I don't think the iggles will try to win the game especially if they go down early in the game. A loss will position them for a favourable draft pick next year. Think about it guys.

I agree with this to some extent. Reid won't intentionally lose just for the draft pick, but like you said, he won't try especially hard to win either. This is not a team that will be overly-concerned with ending the season on a high note for something to build on. The Eagles know they're a good team, and that they'll be back in the mix next year with McNabb, Westbrook, and others returning, and almost as importantly with TO not returning. I'd bet that Reid is much more concerned with getting a good look at some younger players, and with making sure no starters get hurt. For this reason, any of the starters that are dinged up, like Kearse, won't play.

The Skins OTOH are going to be extremely focused. They are not going to let this chance slip by. Even if we do have some bad calls, or untimely turnovers, the Skins will overcome them. After all, if this was the Skins team that everyone is worried about, we would have lost to the Giants last week after Brunell's pic for the td, but that didn't happen. What did happen was the Skins calmly stuck to the gameplan and came back to win the game.

I have been worried for the past 4 weeks, so this week is no different. I will continue to proclaim as I did before the arizona game. We can win and it doesnt have to be close. We showed dallas and new york that we can win by convincing margins and philly will experience the same thing. The LINK will be empty by the 4th quarter...

Go Skins

GSF.......as an Eagles fan second and an Football fan first, you pretty much hit it right on the nail! Though I think the Eagles will at least score 14 points (Moats run, Perry KO Return) the game will be hard fought and come down to who wants it more.....and at this point, its the Skins!

28-14.......Skins

We definitely need to keep an eye on Perry. And as much as our special tams has improved, we keep getting close to people busting Td's on returns. I also think we need to be extra gaurded against turnoevrs. You're right about the "hard-fought" part, too IMO. I don't care who it is wearing green, they'll be letting it all hang out and that's a troublesome opponent anywhere, let alone in Philly's house where ther'll be no warm n fuzzy for any Redksins. But I'll echo your score, because Gibbs & the team leaders will keep the focus.

Next year is going to be something. I see a four-team demolition derby.

I totally agree. I'm concerned about that little guy named Moates. He reminds me of Ricky Ervins a little bit. The remainder of their offense doesn't concern me. I actually thought Mike McMahon was a good QB but if what you say is true about his stats, then he will be in for a long day against Greg Williams's bruising blitzes.

On offense, we can move the ball against the Eagles. Brian Dawkins is a factor regardless of what the Eagles record is. Clinton Portis and Rock Cartright should be able to find some running room. Cooley, Moss, and Jacobs should be able to play well against their secondary.The Philadelphia Eagles are ranked 26th in the NFL in total defense with one game remaining. When I looked at the Monday Night game against the SeaHawks, I sort of knew then that the Eagles weren't going to win many more games. Even Patrick Ramsey should be able to carve that defense apart if he plays.

We definitely need to keep an eye on Perry. And as much as our special tams has improved, we keep getting close to people busting Td's on returns. I also think we need to be extra gaurded against turnoevrs. You're right about the "hard-fought" part, too IMO. I don't care who it is wearing green, they'll be letting it all hang out and that's a troublesome opponent anywhere, let alone in Philly's house where ther'll be no warm n fuzzy for any Redksins. But I'll echo your score, because Gibbs & the team leaders will keep the focus.

Next year is going to be something. I see a four-team demolition derby.

:doh:

I'm not worried at all, because the Redskins right now are a MUCH BETTER team than the Eagles. The Eagles have nobody left! The Eagles can't beat the Redskins; the Redskins can only lose this game themselves by stupid penalties and turnovers. I have faith Gibbs won't let that happen.

The eagles will try to win this game, this is the NFC East and this division is nothing but pride, no matter what the record. All of us have that thought in the back of our mind, the what if we dont win thing. We just beat the sh*t out of the Dallas Cowboys and NY Giants, the 2 real threats that was in our way.

No way the Redskins lose this game, this is a Playoff game and the eagles are the first team in our way to that prize, there wounded team is not going to over power our offense or defense. This is the perfect game for Joe Gibbs and GW to fine tune the Beast and get ready to knock out the remaining teams in our way!!!!

:point2sky

I agree with this to some extent. Reid won't intentionally lose just for the draft pick, but like you said, he won't try especially hard to win either. This is not a team that will be overly-concerned with ending the season on a high note for something to build on. The Eagles know they're a good team, and that they'll be back in the mix next year with McNabb, Westbrook, and others returning, and almost as importantly with TO not returning. I'd bet that Reid is much more concerned with getting a good look at some younger players, and with making sure no starters get hurt. For this reason, any of the starters that are dinged up, like Kearse, won't play.

The Skins OTOH are going to be extremely focused. They are not going to let this chance slip by. Even if we do have some bad calls, or untimely turnovers, the Skins will overcome them. After all, if this was the Skins team that everyone is worried about, we would have lost to the Giants last week after Brunell's pic for the td, but that didn't happen. What did happen was the Skins calmly stuck to the gameplan and came back to win the game.

You have a valid point GSF, however this is a road game and the iggles fanz will want blood. They will scream their bloody heads of in hopes of disrupting our O.

What suprises me is no mention of what our D could possably do to the Philly O in terms of turnovers and creating a short field for our O to score. That scenerio to me is very plausible. I feel this will be a low scoring game (unless our offense goes bonkers). Philly will not score a lot on our D, I just hope we can score a lot on them.

If Philly gets lucky, their O will score 10 on us. If their STeams scores, that's another seven. If we play mistaken free offense, we will put up 21 on ANY team in the NFL @ this point.

Point being, if we don't turn over the ball, the game is in the bag for our 'Skins.

Archived