Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking to the future...DE

Higgs44

This guy looks the part... hes got the size/frame to really improve. Is only a Junior...and has declared for the draft. Might be the perfect guy for our 2nd rounder!!!!

Everyone...Meet Ray Edwards!!!! 6'6" 270

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showprospect.php?key=Ray%20Edwards*

Pros: Good size, particularly height. Shows good moves at point of attack to get by blockers. Able to blow up plays in the backfield. Great at getting his arms up at the release of the ball. Can be downright unblockable at times. Has the frame to continue to add weight. Is only a junior, but has a good amount of experience.

Cons: Not always as dominant as he's shown he can be. Doesn't rack up many tackles, and usually isn't involved in run plays unless he's able to get to the play in the backfield. Overpursues run plays often and can get too involved in his blocker or what the QB is doing. Overall, needs to continue to polish his game, particularly in run support.

I don't believe that this guy fits the mold of a Gibbs/Williams/Blache Defensive End.

Phillip Daniels/Renaldo Wynn = 6-3, 285+ pounds, built like tanks, ultra-disciplined, excellent run-stoppers and passable pass rushers

This guy, from the sounds of it = 6-6, 270lb, leaner and more athletic, undisciplined, spotty at stopping the run, more of a pure pass rusher

I don't believe that this guy fits the mold of a Gibbs/Williams/Blache Defensive End.

Phillip Daniels/Renaldo Wynn = 6-3, 285+ pounds, built like tanks, ultra-disciplined, excellent run-stoppers and passable pass rushers

This guy, from the sounds of it = 6-6, 270lb, leaner and more athletic, undisciplined, spotty at stopping the run, more of a pure pass rusher

A pure pass rusher is the one thing this defense doesn't have.

A pure pass rusher is the one thing this defense doesn't have.

Not really true as that's what Clemons is.

Also, by design, Williams wants his defensive line to stop the run. We have the league's best run defending defensive ends. I don't want to surrender any of that for a handful more sacks from a starting end. I'll live with seven sacks from one end and a couple from the other if they continue to play the run so well.

Now, I do want to see us select a defensive lineman in this draft early, often and frequently, but, more to build depth and groom guys in the system than to replace anyone next year.

Also, by design, Williams wants his defensive line to stop the run. We have the league's best run defending defensive ends. I don't want to surrender any of that for a handful more sacks from a starting end. I'll live with seven sacks from one end and a couple from the other if they continue to play the run so well.

Now, I do want to see us select a defensive lineman in this draft early, often and frequently, but, more to build depth and groom guys in the system than to replace anyone next year.

Ok true about Clemons, but he isn't exactly tearing up the league with sacks. I'm a big fan of Daniels, who I believe has been playing very well for several weeks now, but 4 of those 7 sacks came against a scab DE with a QB holding the ball. I agree with your views of the scheme, and what kind of DEs Williams uses in his scheme. I'm not looking to replace Wynn or Daniels next year, but a good speed rusher to add to the rotation would be helpful IMO.

There are only two DE's that would probably entice GW into talking to Gibbs about drafting. Those two would be Mario Williams and the kid from BC, I won't butcher his name, as most of us know who I'm refering too. Everyone else is a smallish pass rusher with big question marks about stopping the run in the NFL. Those type of ends have little value in a GW system and are only used on third downs. Not too mention some of those guys will be gone in the first round/early second, as a result of the premium placed on pass rushing DE's. So if we indeed draft a DE in the late second he will probably need a few years to get adjusted to the speed of the NFL. Thus look for the DE spot to be adressed in the FA market rather then the draft.

:eaglesuck :dallasuck :gaintsuck

Art I don't think any of us are talking about drafting a starting DE. Rather, I think we're looking for a situational pass rusher that we can count on to reliably get to the QB on 3rd and long. This need has been particularly glaring this season when we choose not blitz and only rush the four DL.

For that role a guy like Edwards sounds ideal. Moreover, as their careers go on guys like this tend to bulk up a bit. If we're lucky a guy like this could hopefully mature into a starting DE with the right coaching and scheme.

The Redskins and Williams bid heavily for Jevon Kearse before he signed with the Eagles. Not to mention Courtney Brown.

I think the coaching staff has made it clear that they need more QB pressure than what they are currently getting out of their front 4.

Didn't Gregg Williams have Jevon Kearse with the titans?? Not sure but doesnt he fit the leaner more athletic pure pass rusher mold? And werent we kinda interested in Kearse when he was a free agent? I think we knew there was no chance we could afford him.

Art I don't think any of us are talking about drafting a starting DE. Rather, I think we're looking for a situational pass rusher that we can count on to reliably get to the QB on 3rd and long. This need has been particularly glaring this season when we choose not blitz and only rush the four DL.

For that role a guy like Edwards sounds ideal. Moreover, as their careers go on guys like this tend to bulk up a bit. If we're lucky a guy like this could hopefully mature into a starting DE with the right coaching and scheme.

:applause: I hear ya. Especially with Daniels & Wynn turning 33 & 32 next year. I don't want to wait for those guys to bottom out. Get a youngster in there & let him get worked in a year or two before taking over. Hell, we need the depth too (depth, eventual replacements, AND more pass rush)

true, most teams run right at DEs that just attack upfield to the QB

There are only two DE's that would probably entice GW into talking to Gibbs about drafting. Those two would be Mario Williams and the kid from BC, I won't butcher his name, as most of us know who I'm refering too. Everyone else is a smallish pass rusher with big question marks about stopping the run in the NFL. Those type of ends have little value in a GW system and are only used on third downs. Not too mention some of those guys will be gone in the first round/early second, as a result of the premium placed on pass rushing DE's. So if we indeed draft a DE in the late second he will probably need a few years to get adjusted to the speed of the NFL. Thus look for the DE spot to be adressed in the FA market rather then the draft.

:eaglesuck :dallasuck :gaintsuck

I think the DE you are referring to is Mathias Kiwanuka and he is a beast, but will be gone in the early part of the 1st round.

The Redskins and Williams bid heavily for Jevon Kearse before he signed with the Eagles. Not to mention Courtney Brown.

I think the coaching staff has made it clear that they need more QB pressure than what they are currently getting out of their front 4.

Uh, no we didn't. We never met with Kearse. They called us to see if we wanted to bid and we said no thanks. Courtney Brown is precisely the type of player this team would seek. He's in the mold. That's why we went after him for a mild contract.

The amount of pressure Clemons gets for a very limited number of snaps is amazing. He is the situational pass rusher and he's done a great job. We need the next generation of defensive linemen more than we need a situational pass rusher.

The amount of pressure Clemons gets for a very limited number of snaps is amazing. He is the situational pass rusher and he's done a great job. We need the next generation of defensive linemen more than we need a situational pass rusher.

Very true although I would argue that the next gen DE needs to be more of a Charles Mann type, capable of stopping the run like Wynn or Daniels while still getting near Manley type pressure on the QB. I firmly believe that if this defense could have gotten pressure on Sims, Collins or Brees during that 3 game slide in the 4th Q without having to blitz we would be in the drivers seat for the Division title if not the drivers seat for the second seed, a bye and hosting a second round playoff game at home.

Archived