Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good non Call?

Boots

I was just reading the thread about the holding call, and I have to agree there's no way that wasn't holding.

The other call (or non call) that was a question in my mind was a 4th down play for the Giants. Eli threw over the middle and a Redskin defender stepped up cutting the route off of the Giant receiver, and almost intercepted the ball. The Refs never made a call, but it looked like it could have been interferance, although the defender has just as much right to the ball as the recever. So what do you guys think?

Sorry I can't provide more detail, but it's early and I havn't had my coffe yet!

The holding call wasn't objectionable in my opinion. Wynn spun, O'Hara tugged on his jersey so hard that the umpire could see a good bit of Wynn's pads, and O'Hara and Wynn fell as if to look that O'Hara pulled Wynn down. I liken it's effect to Rabach's hold against the Chargers - it wasn't necessary for the offensive lineman to do that and didn't really affect the outcome of the play, but it was the correct call.

The non-call on the Springs' breakup of the pass intended for Burress was a good non-call. Springs was clearly going for the ball when contact was made. It was clearly not pass interference according to these guidelines of NFL Rules.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/passinterference

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(B) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball. Here Springs and Burress arrived at the the spot of the pass at the same time. They collided side to side.

© Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball. Although Springs could be argued to have cut off the path of Burress, Springs was clearly playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(B) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

© Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Since Springs and Burress arrived simultaneously at the spot of the pass, and since Springs was playing the ball, there is no interference on the defense.

Actually the biggest BS call(s) I thought occured in the game were the roughing the passer calls. One for and one against us, so it was even. In both cases the defender pulled up after the pass and only hit the qb with a chest bump. Both times the defender kind of grabbed the qb to hold them up.

Actually the biggest BS call(s) I thought occured in the game were the roughing the passer calls. One for and one against us, so it was even. In both cases the defender pulled up after the pass and only hit the qb with a chest bump. Both times the defender kind of grabbed the qb to hold them up.

The one on Ramsey was legit, the defender hit him in the head, gentle or not, that is a penalty.

Wow, thanks for posting the PI rules. I've been calling for PI penalties for years that weren't PI at all. According to these rules the PI call on Springs when he had his hand on Burress' hip should't have been PI at all. He wasn't impeding Burress nor was he trying to gain position. Pretty weak call if you ask me. One of those calls that put the Gmen in position to score, just like the call on Clark. So I think if you add up all the BS calls it was pretty even. So quit whinning Giant fans!

'(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball. '

what the heck is this? you cant put your arm on front of a WR to block the pass? wow.

i'm assuming they mean grabbing or contact across the body, otherwise you could never deflect a pass.

'(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving. '

well, guess that means springs PI call that did get called wasnt legit. he just had his hand there- never caused the WR's body to turn. oh well.

'(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving. '

well, guess that means springs PI call that did get called wasnt legit. he just had his hand there- never caused the WR's body to turn. oh well.

Definitely. Contrast this with the PI call on the guy defending Moss early in the game. He had his hand wrapped around him and caused Moss to spin away from the ball. That was definitely PI.

The one on Ramsey was legit, the defender hit him in the head, gentle or not, that is a penalty.

Penalty or not, it's a stupid rule. You know as well as I do that the official should not have called that garbage. Quarterbacks wear pads and helmets. They are not out there in tutus completely defenseless.

Then again, I'm a defensive guy...Hail to the Redskins!

Joe Gibbs sending in bad calls is helping us I think. We're getting more of those close calls going our way now. Where it used to be guaranteed to go against us. Just goes to show what a true Genius JG is as a Head Coach. He doesn't leave anything to chance.

I honestly thought that Burris was thinking the ball was going to be outside. He looked surprised when it came inside. Springs was clearly making a run for the pick and it was incidental. Both times Shockey pushed off. On the INT and on the penalty. He does that all the time and it drives me crazy!!! Runs out...pushes defender away and turns. I'm sure Gibbs or GW were in the Refs ear about that in pre-game.

The holding calls looked bad but I wouldn't have called it a hold. Course the ref that made the call was behind and probably couldn't see if Wynn was being pulled down or not. Just like Rabach's hold in SD, at that point in the game you can't leave anything up to the refs. You have to make damn sure it all looks legit. Good throw and catch though. Coulda changed the game.

Couple of calls for us too though. First, either Arrington made a great play or the Giants snapped the ball late and should have had a delay of game penalty. Zero on the clock = delay of game. Regardless of what that lunkhead Moose thinks. The other bad call should have ended up in a Defensive TD for us. The ball came out soon as Washington hit Manning. That was either a fumble or backward pass. And Sean T was there to scoop it up. Dunno how they missed that?!?!

I'm sure you would have been screaming your head off if the Ref had called that against Griffin in the Cowboys game. Griffin clearly hit Bledsoe with his hand on the top of Bledsoe's helmet wiwhile trying to get to him. By the letter of the law that was a blow to the head of the QB and should have been penalized.

Springs didn't have an interference penalty at all. Also, the rules are only partially accurate. NFL case books put together each year are the ultimate rules within the rules. It's a complicated text. I have one sent to me from Ed Hoculi and many of the rules we think we understand we really don't :).

I'm sure you would have been screaming your head off if the Ref had called that against Griffin in the Cowboys game. Griffin clearly hit Bledsoe with his hand on the top of Bledsoe's helmet wiwhile trying to get to him. By the letter of the law that was a blow to the head of the QB and should have been penalized.

Are you a Redskin fan?

Archived