Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins Run The Reciever Screen Better Than Any Team In Football

melonhead1959

This is undeniable and I'm waiting for this play to get picked off. Even when it seems like the corner gets a jump Moss always seems to pull away. I'm surprised more teams haven't successfuly doubled Moss and made you're other receivers beat them.

Acually they have doubled moss alot more, but they cant do it on every play.

Im sure on some of the screeens this year they have had him doubled, but a S or FS 8 yards deep cant get there in time and the blocks off the screen eliminate that. Thats one way to beat the double teams, unless they use a OLB, or DE that is fast and can get out in the flat quickly.

It helps that Moss is fast but its plain more about execution and ability. I remember the Skins running WR's screens and quick hitches back in the day all the time. They were like running plays. Sometimes the Skins went to the house and sometimes they picked up like 5 or 6 yards. Gary Clark, Art Monk, Clint Didier and Ricky Sanders used to always have success with it. Monk and Clark in particular weren't fast but still got Yards after the catch (yacs). The only facet that the Skins don't do today is make teams pay for biting on it. It was beautiful though when they faked the hitch and went deep. The Skins could run those type plays with all their receivers back in the day but Moss seems to be the only one today that can make teams pay when he gets the ball. Cooley has a lil success running it also. :2cents:

This is undeniable and I'm waiting for this play to get picked off. Even when it seems like the corner gets a jump Moss always seems to pull away. I'm surprised more teams haven't successfuly doubled Moss and made you're other receivers beat them.

About the only way the ball gets picked off is if it bounces off of Moss's hands and into the hands of a defender. That play is only being run if the corner is 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage which is what makes it pretty much impossible to defend. But it's such a hard play to run anyway because you need a WR to always make someone miss and mobile lineman to be able to execute blocks in the open field since unlike college, linemen aren't allowed down field until the ball is thrown.

There is a strong chance of that happening, but I believe most of the time teams will not take their chances and go for the pick, because (as happened in the Dalas game, when a corner tried to pick it off) if they miss, which happens most of the time, Santana gets a huge opening. That was the play he gained 30 or so yards, and got down to the 4 yardline of Dallas.

It helps that Moss is fast but its plain more about execution and ability. I remember the Skins running WR's screens and quick hitches back in the day all the time. They were like running plays. Sometimes the Skins went to the house and sometimes they picked up like 5 or 6 yards. Gary Clark, Art Monk, Clint Didier and Ricky Sanders used to always have success with it. Monk and Clark in particular weren't fast but still got Yards after the catch (yacs). The only facet that the Skins don't do today is make teams pay for biting on it. It was beautiful though when they faked the hitch and went deep. The Skins could run those type plays with all their receivers back in the day but Moss seems to be the only one today that can make teams pay when he gets the ball. Cooley has a lil success running it also. :2cents:

I think they are setting up for that. If not at Philly than in the playoffs.

It is because we have quick receivers and relatively fast offensive O linemen. As soon as Moss gets the ball there is an OL on his way to crush a small perimeter D player.

Another thing we run the ball so well that other teams might bring there players closer in to stop Portis but by doing so they only make it easier for Moss to get passed the second level.

not just Moss, Cooley ran it pretty well too and he is by know means a burner the skins just block it well

Cooley's generally better on that little fake dump we run where Brunell pumps left and then goes back to the right, where Cooley's waiting with 3 linemen. He's tough to bring down any way you slice it though.

We run the WR screen so well because of the blocking ... it has actually gotten better as the season has gone on as our timing has gotten better. One thing we have over other teams is the H-back coming in motion to the screen side - when you see Sellers pancake a guy while Moss cuts inside, the play really opens up. The H-back can get there much quicker than any lineman can, and that extra blocker is the key that really makes the play work.

Archived