Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the best Redskin team ever?

SUNSTONE

I personally think that if the team upgrades and gets a 2nd solid WR

Our team next year can be one of dominance.

It took a season and a half for all the players to buy in to Gibbs' philosophies now we look unstoppable. If we get in the playoffs, I do not think any team will want to play us.

The greatest Joe Gibbs team ever??.... probably not. There may be individuals and units better than some of those of the past, but taken as a whole..... the 2005 team is not quite there...... yet.

The '91 Superbowl team 14-2 was dominant at home and excellent on the road.

They were 7-1 at home 7-1 on the road. The two losses?....one to Dallas at home by three, dropping the Skins to 11-1... :D

The other loss?.... at Philly by two... following a 3 game streak and home field in-hand.

Everyone was thrilled when this 2005 team went 3-0 including a squeaker in Dallas... the '91 team started at 3-0 too..... had it's squeaker in Dallas .... the other games were won by a combined score of 79-0 against a 12-4 Lions and division rival Cards....

This team was #1 on offense points scored, #2 on defense points allowed

Away games against .500 and above teams... 3-1

Combined records of 40-24, the wins were by average less than one TD, Philly beat us by the two.

Away games against sub .500 teams 4-0

Combined records of 17-47 we won on average by two TD's or better.

The seven wins at home?.... the score averaged 35-9 including three shutouts.

The '83 Superbowl team 14-2 AND defending Superbowl champion

Yep.... the slugger most folks remember, but this team still managed to score more points than any of the Warner-Faulk-Bruce-Hakim-Holt teams in their heyday....

#1 on offense scoring, #11 defense points allowed

Theismann #2 in the league

Mosely 161 points

Riggo and the Hogs grinding out 24 TD's

Although the scoring differential against opponents wasn't as glamorous as those of the '91 team, this team just "felt" more dominant..... if we were ahead in the fourth quarter.... it was a lock.... ball control, the "Riggo drill", short yardage conversions, keep the opponents offense off the field.......yep...that damned ole conservative play calling.....consistent and demoralizing to the opponent..... who "knew" it was coming.

If the opponent managed to get ahead late..... we'd work it down the field, get ahead...and control. Mosely was very consistent and was all we needed much of the time.

I believe this team was also the one with an obscene giveaway-takeaway ratio of +40 or so.

Defensive linemen across the league had to get bigger because of THIS team

Too bad they lost the Superbowl...... one of those "bad" games similar to the first Giant game of this years team.

Those Gibbs teams also did their work within the then dominant NFC and within the NFC East a highly competitive, if not the most competitive division in football.

The missing element for any of these Gibbs teams, however, is the franchise quarterback...... Theismann was close, similar to Brunell in his prime..... the other guys had great years and good games...... but Gibbs has never had a long term, dominant game-breaker to work with... like a Marino, Elway, Aikman or Montana.

Campbell????...... if this guy pans out, then we may have a qb with the attributes of both Theismann and Rypien........ perhaps we may yet see a team like none we've seen here before.

I see this 2005 team (late in the season), being closer to the '83 team in talent, mentality, heart and determination...... but it needs to be much more consistent to be considered amongst the Gibbs "greats" ..... but hey it's only Joe's second year here....... he started with quite a mess..... give it time....

Just enjoy Joe Gibbs football and see what he can brew up this time around and don't try to compare what cannot be compared.... :)

:eaglesuck

It's up there if it isn't.

Moss is the best WR I have seen since.... Moss.. Randy Moss when he was healthy on the Vikings.

I don't want to say that Moss is the best redskin WR just yet after only 15 games. But there is no question he is more talented than all of our previous WRs.

I like Mark and Ramsey more than any other QB for the skins since Sonny played.

Is Clinton better than John Riggins? In some ways, yes. Clinton has some killer hands, and he is such a complete back making blocks, and incredible catches.

He runs like a beast! He was doing all he could to break tackles yesturday.....and every game.

With a back that can and does do all of that, I'll take Clinton.

The Hoggs better? I don't know, we sure did go through a lot of QB's under Gibbs, while other teams had their Phil Simms. But then again, we won all of those Super Bowls with strange QB's. So the line has to get a lot of credit for that.

I'll say the Hoggs were better.

Shawn Taylor is the best saftey we have ever had...period!!

This D is the best looking D I have ever seen from any of the previous years with the skins.

This team is a tackling, hard hitting machine!

At a quick glance, the numbers don't show it. But look at our schedule, it was an extremely tough schedule we played this year.

I think there is no question, this is the most talented Redskin team ever.

But talent does not equal best. Only time will tell if this is the best redskin team ever.

Ahhh, the glory of youth!

Have to disagree with your thoughts on who's better, however.

As much as I like Portis, Riggins literally won the Super Bowl vs Miami with the unforgettable fourth down run for the TD, then ran out the clock in the fourth quarter and the Dolphins could do nothing to stop him.

Mark Rypien was flawless in 1991 for the Skins. Second only to Sonny in throwing deep.QB on the '91 team that just mashed people en route to 14-2.

The original Hogs of 1982 are the best offensive line the Skins ever had.

Last but not least, Sean Taylor is talented, but he has a long way to go to get to the talent level of Kenny Houston(1973-1977)arguably the greatest safety ever, for ANY team.

Almost forgot, the 1983 Redskins which lost to the Raiders in Tampa in the SB were aruably the best Redskins team ever. They scored 541 points(avg 33 per game)and were #3 in overall defense.

I rest my case.

There's definatley an argument to be made. If you're talking dominance over the rest of the league like there used to be, no. But, if this years team went up against the other 3 Superbowl teams, I could see them winning. Players now are way bigger, way stronger, way faster, coaches are smarter, plays and schemes change over the years.

IMO, this years team could do some serious damage in the playoffs.

I have a feeling a lot of you are going to want to change your minds after this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Asj5mC8mGEykBqRwMP2Khtg5nYcB?slug=cc-sixpoints122605&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Even if this team wins the Superbowl, it is at BEST number 5 in my mind

The 4 Gibbs Superbowl teams were all much better then this squad

I would still put the 1986 team above this team also, and honestly the 72 team that played the Dolphins in Superbowl 7

So at best, with a Superbowl win this team is the 7th best Redskins team

Without a Superbowl, not even top 10

I think we have best balanced team ever! We have great players in every department. We have 2 GREAT QB's and RB's. We are only short in the WR dept but we have a man that is two in one. Its close to being the best team but that year we almost ran the table... that was some team!:eaglesuck

I say wait until next year, oh yea!!!I can't wait to see the moves Gibbs does to keep improving this team!!!Look at last year compared to this year what an improvement!!!!Jason Campell has got to be the luckiest Q.b. ever,I'm sure he would like to play but Gibbs is setting him up to have a monster career!!!I think this team is only going to get better!!!!

There's definatley an argument to be made. If you're talking dominance over the rest of the league like there used to be, no. But, if this years team went up against the other 3 Superbowl teams, I could see them winning. Players now are way bigger, way stronger, way faster, coaches are smarter, plays and schemes change over the years.

I, myself, don't see any argument...... one cannot just displace time and space, manipulating the variables to suit one's argument.

You have to consisder the merits of these teams within the setting and circumstances in which they played.

Yeah, the players are bigger and stronger now....... how did they get that way..... "intelligent design" or something?...... would a new Riggo... developing through the current system not be bigger and stronger now?

How about the new Hogs?...... would they now be 20-40 pounds bigger than the current defensive lines?

...... how about our new modern coach....... I suppose he is now just getting "smart".. considering that the game has past him by :doh:

Wasn't the '91 team a strike team?

If so, then that just show's off Joe Gibbs talents.

He also did the same thing in the '87 strike, if I'm not mistaken.

Strike teams don't count, because that just becomes a coaches battle their. Everyone starts off even.

The more you post, the more you're showing your ignorance. The '91 team was a field goal away from going into the season finale 15-0 ( a meaningless loss to the Eagles with mostly backups playing). They dismantled the Falcons and Lions in the playoffs as well as the Bills in the Super Bowl. They allowed something like 11 QB sacks for the entire season! That team, if only for the reason that the '83 team lost the Super Bowl, is the greatest Redskins team of all time. Besides, the '83 team wasn't nearly as sound on defense as the '91 team. The '91 team (if I'm not mistaken) had 3 shutouts in the first five games of the season.

I think Moss is good, but he is no Gary Clark. Clark was competing against the likes of Jerry Rice for the best WR in the league at the time - he was just that good. (Rice had more success, thouhgh.) This is not to take away from Moss, but he needs more seasons - Clark had at least five 1,000 yard seasons, and nearly more than that with the 800+ seasons he had.

Once again, this is a pretty good team, but it isn't the same as past teams. BUT, in a certain sense - who cares? WHY should they have to measure up to the past teams? This team has its own character (and characters), and has developed its own bond with the CURRENT fans. We don't need to be making comparisions at all - be happy with the team we have and the players we love.

The 2005 'Skins are the best 2005 'Skins, ever! :-)

Thx for all the troll responses, those are definitly appreciated.

They help remind me why I left the DC/Virginia area.

It's full of assholes.

Look, if you don't like my opinion, then just say you disagree, give some reasons why, and don't be an ass about it.

I think Moss is good, but he is no Gary Clark. Clark was competing against the likes of Jerry Rice for the best WR in the league at the time - he was just that good. (Rice had more success, thouhgh.) This is not to take away from Moss, but he needs more seasons - Clark had at least five 1,000 yard seasons, and nearly more than that with the 800+ seasons he had.

Once again, this is a pretty good team, but it isn't the same as past teams. BUT, in a certain sense - who cares? WHY should they have to measure up to the past teams? This team has its own character (and characters), and has developed its own bond with the CURRENT fans. We don't need to be making comparisions at all - be happy with the team we have and the players we love.

The 2005 'Skins are the best 2005 'Skins, ever! :-)

Clark was the only reciever I thought of when it comes to Moss.

I remember Clark being small, very small and extremely fast.

But I think that Moss is a little faster, and stronger.

I don't remember Clark being this impressive.

But on the other hand, Moss is leaving nothing behind.

That could get him hurt doing all of that dancing around trying to break tackles.

WR isn't much good hurt.

Archived