Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs and Moss should be candidates for Coach of the year and MVP

GSF

There has been a lot of talk about Manning and Alexander, and even Tiki as MVP candidates, but Moss should really be a part of that conversation. I know record is a big part of that honor, and that the Seahawks and Colts both have much better records than the Skins, but Moss has been the difference between what was maybe the worst offense in the league last year versus a top ten offense of this year. Moss not only affected the offense with his big plays, but his mere presence changed the way defenses played against the Skins. Also, winning the first Dallas game with the big catches was really the turning point of the season and Gibbs' second tenure as coach, and gave the team something to build on.

As for coach of the year, nobody thought the Skins would do anything this year. Well nobody except for a few of us hard core Gibbs believers, and even most of us had our doubts. At the end of last season, the mediots were saying that Gibbs would quit and that the game had passed him by. Through tremendous adversity with injuries, bad calls, and just bad luck early in the season, Gibbs kept his cool and kept the players united and focused. This team never gave up, even when things looked lost after a 3 game losing streak with the team sitting at 5 - 6.

I think both Moss and Gibbs have been overlooked. I'm not saying that they should be the winners of these awards neccesarily, but they should be at least be a part of the conversation.

There has been a lot of talk about Manning and Alexander, and even Tiki as MVP candidates, but Moss should really be a part of that conversation. I know record is a big part of that honor, and that the Seahawks and Colts both have much better records than the Skins, but Moss has been the difference between what was maybe the worst offense in the league last year versus a top ten offense of this year. Moss not only affected the offense with his big plays, but his mere presence changed the way defenses played against the Skins. Also, winning the first Dallas game with the big catches was really the turning point of the season and Gibbs' second tenure as coach, and gave the team something to build on.

As for coach of the year, nobody thought the Skins would do anything this year. Well nobody except for a few of us hard core Gibbs believers, and even most of us had our doubts. At the end of last season, the mediots were saying that Gibbs would quit and that the game had passed him by. Through tremendous adversity with injuries, bad calls, and just bad luck early in the season, Gibbs kept his cool and kept the players united and focused. This team never gave up, even when things looked lost after a 3 game losing streak with the team sitting at 5 - 6.

I think both Moss and Gibbs have been overlooked. I'm not saying that they should be the winners of these awards neccesarily, but they should be at least be a part of the conversation.

I agree!

I take a fairly literal definition of Most Valuable Player. I think that it gets watered down since it went to an accronym.

anyway, Think this way...Imagine our team without them and someone average in their stead?

Exactly how I look at it, which is why I say Moss should be a candidate. Take him away and the Skins season could have been very different.

It's true that Moss and Brunell will prolly not get the awards you've nominated them for, but what about Brunell gettin Most improved or Comeback player. He's totally turned his season around.

Good point. I forgot about comeback player.

I don't think either deserve awards but in the case of Gibbs he is definately being hampered by his legacy. Hypothetically lets say coach X takes over the terrible 5-11 '03 redskins, leads them to a 6-10 '04 record then a 9-6 playoff-bound (fingers crossed touch wood) '05 record dont you think he gets more credit than "hall of fame Joe Gibbs gets for the same achievement?

My dad was telling me today that Gibbs should be COTY, but I told him that the fact that he is in the Hall may kill his chances. Lovie Smith, and Marvin Lewis are probably more deserving for this season. Gibbs has done a hell of a job this year, but with his credentials, I think it's more expected than suprising.

All I can say is: Agreed. There has been blathering on about Mike Tice (the odd team out now) being HCOTY. Come on? Seriously? The answer to that is simple: NO. If HE is being considered, then without a doubt, Gibbs should be a front runner (he beat Lovie in H2H, so there). As for Moss, that shouldn't even be a question. 1400+ yards and 9 scores for a "2/3 receiver at best", please. He win

Without Moss we are 6-10 again.

Without Alexander the Hakws are probably .500.

But without Steve Smith, the Panthers blow donkey nuts as we saw yesterday.

So Steve Smith should be MVP.

As far as COTY goes, I love Gibbs but I think Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith are more deserving.

Without Moss we are 6-10 again.

Without Alexander the Hakws are probably .500.

But without Steve Smith, the Panthers blow donkey nuts as we saw yesterday.

So Steve Smith should be MVP.

As far as COTY goes, I love Gibbs but I think Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith are more deserving.

I'd give COTY to Lovie over Marv. Lewis has a lot of talent to work with in Cinci. Nobody expected much from the Bears, like with the Skins.

Well, I would be saying Gibbs should be coach of the year because I'm a Redskins fan. However, you can look at so many other deserving coaches. I think it's a toss up between Mike Tice and Tony Dungy. The Vikings were 2-5 and won six straight when their season appeared to be very much lost. Dungy had coached the hardcore Colts to a 13-0 record and both are more impressive than what the Redskins have done.

As far as MVP, Shaun Alexander, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and a few other could be League MVP. Besides, when was the last time a wide receiver was named league MVP?

Archived