Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Season of 1942. Some parallels between then and our last SuperBowl year

docsandy

Not sure if anyone may be interested.. but back when we won SBXXVI, my brother gave me a scrapbook of articles from various papers from the 1942 team. In reading them, it was interesting to note some parallels. So I wrote an article and put it on the web. If you're interested, it can be found at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/doc.sandy/red1942.htm

The page itself isn't that fancy.. that was my beginning days of web publishing and since then I've done more for other people, but haven't updated my own.

It's not anything fancy, but some of you may find it fun or interesting reading. The "older fans" because it will jog some memories, and the "younger fans" to give you a bit of history surrounding the Redskins of the past.

(I hope I posted this is the right spot).

And now.. to the really important...

WE WANT THE GIANTS... WE WANT THE PLAYOFFS...

MAKE SOME NOISE 12TH MAN!

:wave:

Thanks for the link. I love Redskins history. I think every diehard Skins fan should buy one of the 2-3 Skins history books out there and read it. Wasn't this Andy Farkas' last year with us before he went to Detroit?

BTW, would you believe I have this program?

champ.gif

This lady on ebay had it with a group of three other programs she was trying to sell together. I told her if she would close the auction and reopen without the championship program I'd pay her $50 for the program and she accepted. I think I got a bargain.

Yeah, as far as Marshall. I know people gripe about Snyder but he has nothing on Marshall's managing of a franchise. The man was a meddler and a cheapskate.

BTW, would you believe I have this program?

champ.gif

This lady on ebay had it with a group of three other programs she was trying to sell together.

Neat.. I have it too. My brother has purchased several old programs for me (on ebay and other places).. he's trying to get them all for me from the year I was born (1953).

Yeah, as far as Marshall. I know people gripe about Snyder but he has nothing on Marshall's managing of a franchise. The man was a meddler and a cheapskate.

So true. So sad. But one positive thing...

He DID give us the Redskins :)

That's true. We have the Skins thanks to him. We were the old Duluth Eskimos weren't we. Duluth folded in 1927(?) and Marshall bought the defunct franchise and revived it.

Reading players salaries. My hometown here in Illinois there was a guy who played for the Lions and Dodgers in the 1930s. He lives out of town but came back about 5-6 years ago and he was at the local HS game. I got to chat with him about the NFL from back then and was very interesting. He said that they made about $100 per game and some of the elites made about $150 a game. They all had offseason jobs too.

Former Redskins All-Pro Paul Lipscomb was also from my hometwon and actually lived two doors down from my dad when they were kids. My dad said he was a bully. LOL He was about 10 years older than my dad.

paullipscomb.jpg

Archived