Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tip sheet: Even Fatty can't deny that Taylor was screwed and Roy W is OVERRATED

Dirk Diggler

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2269738

Like the rest of us, league general managers and personnel directors like to opine (although more privately) about what they perceive as Pro Bowl snubs or oversights. And in speaking with several personnel chiefs after the all-star squads were announced Wednesday afternoon, the strongest remarks revolved around the safety selections for the NFC squad. While the consensus was that Darren Sharper of Minnesota certainly was deserving, questions were raised about the worthiness of Chicago's Mike Brown, and even more so, about Roy Williams of Dallas. Some general managers, in fact, view Williams as one of the NFL's most overrated players. There was strong support for safeties Sean Taylor of Washington and Adrian Wilson of Arizona over Williams and Brown on the NFC team.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2269738

Like the rest of us, league general managers and personnel directors like to opine (although more privately) about what they perceive as Pro Bowl snubs or oversights. And in speaking with several personnel chiefs after the all-star squads were announced Wednesday afternoon, the strongest remarks revolved around the safety selections for the NFC squad. While the consensus was that Darren Sharper of Minnesota certainly was deserving, questions were raised about the worthiness of Chicago's Mike Brown, and even more so, about Roy Williams of Dallas. Some general managers, in fact, view Williams as one of the NFL's most overrated players. There was strong support for safeties Sean Taylor of Washington and Adrian Wilson of Arizona over Williams and Brown on the NFC team.

They wouldn't want Wilson and Taylor in the Pro Bowl cuz they would kill people. That would be a sick duo. Wilson really impressed me in that AZ game. Did you see how diesel that dude is? He is the same size as ST, too.

Player Team G Ints Yds LG TDs FF RecTD Pdef Scks SFTY CmbTck Solo Ast

Roy Williams 14_2 __46 __46__1_3__1__0___9___2.5 ___0___78 __67__61__11

Sean Taylor 13_2 __34 __32__0_2__0__0 ___9___1_____0___53 __46__44__7

How in the world is Sean Taylor better than Roy Williams this year, honestly?

I'm not taking anything away from ST, because the guy is a beast but to say he's better than Roy Williams is insane.

You do know that they play different positions, right? Stat comparison won't really work in this case and you are missing the column that is "burned for a touchdown" You actually need to watch football not just regirgitate stats to make a legit comparison

Player Team G Ints Yds LG TDs FF RecTD Pdef Scks SFTY CmbTck Solo Ast

Roy Williams 14_2 __46 __46__1_3__1__0___9___2.5 ___0___78 __67__61__11

Sean Taylor 13_2 __34 __32__0_2__0__0 ___9___1_____0___53 __46__44__7

How in the world is Sean Taylor better than Roy Williams this year, honestly?

I'm not taking anything away from ST, because the guy is a beast but to say he's better than Roy Williams is insane.

You do know that they play different positions, right? Stat comparison won't really work in this case and you are missing the column that is "burned for a touchdown" You actually need to watch football not just regirgitate stats to make a legit comparison

Typical answer.

If ST was better in all categories then stat sheets would be popping up left and right to prove who was better.

Why should Taylor be on the team? I don't think he's at that level yet.

Taylor's been shaky in run support this year, generally inconsistent, and he doesn't have the stats to really stand out against other safeties. Yes he's an intimidator, but so are Minter, Williams, Brown, Dawkins, Wilson, and a handful of other safeties.

With his athletic ability, he can be better than all of them. I just can't agree that he deserves to be in the Pro Bowl this season.

I can somewhat understand the support for Wilson this year--particularly over Williams--but I don't really understand why Brown gets roughed up a bit in the GM survey.

Roy Williams is basically a linebacker. He can't cover, and he plays up on the line. In coverage he is mediocre at best. Williams will usually have more tackles, because where he plays, he is in better position to get more tackles. Taylor, being that he is a better playmaker and has better cover skills, plays in the secondary.

Sometimes its not all about stats. A player that is feared on the field may not get as many tackles or interceptions as others because the opposing team just stays away from that side of the field. That's the type of player ST is. No one goes across the middle against him.

Exactly. He changes the way teams play against us. Roy has NOTHING on ST's intimidation factor. And teams don't plan around Roy nearly the way they do to ST. ST shuts down the portion of the field he is in. He is a devistating playmaker. In this case, I believe it's more about quality over quantity.

Typical answer.

If ST was better in all categories then stat sheets would be popping up left and right to prove who was better.

a) A safety's tackles are often a function of the front 7 in front of him. The worse a front 7 is at stopping the run (and Dallas has been worse at this) the more tackles the safety is going to have.

B) Taylor is a FS and RW is a SS so RW will be playing closer to the line and hence have more opportunities for tackles/sacks.

c) Picks may or may not be a good indicator of a DB's overall impact on the game. Delta Oneal leads the league in picks. Does that mean he's even among the top 10 CBs in the league? Top 20?

d) As mentioned, you don't see a stat for how often a safety gets throw at or how often a player doesnt get throw at because they are in great coverage? Or how many players short arm balls because they are about to get clocked?

Taylor can actually cover... therefore WRs catch less balls around him and he gets fewer tackles. Also therefore QBs throw less near him so he gets fewer INTS. Kapeesh?

To be honest I dont care if you agree or not. But I wouldnt trade Sean for Roy and it wouldnt even be close.

If any of you watched the NFL Network Game of the Week they had between the Skins and Chargers(I could understand if you didn't)you'd find out just how much of a factor Taylor is. Everytime they went to the Charger sideline they kept talking about how "We gotta contain #21" and "#21 is killing us."

Eff Williams -- but I love this quote:

Some general managers, in fact, view Williams as one of the NFL's most overrated players.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Taylor is better than Williams now, and has only reached probably 70-80% of his potential. Williams has peaked, and will get no better. He only gets worse from here as he gets older. But go ahead, Dallas fans, keep telling yourselves Williams is better. :laugh: One more time for my Redskin homies:

Some general managers, in fact, view Williams as one of the NFL's most overrated players.

:laugh: :laugh: :rotflmao: :laugh:

Roy Williams is a Joke, but how the hell does the 28th Rated QB in the NFL go to the Pro Bowl?

Because he has 500 yards rushing and 5 rushing Touchdowns to go with his 10 fumbles, and 50% completion rate and lower than Kyle Boller rating?

It's nuts that 30-40 yards rushing a game makes up for having some of the worst passing stats in the league.

You really dont know how good taylor is untill youve seen the highlight film for his first two years. Roy williams does not chase down randy moss on a go route and out jump him for the ball. They might be close to equal when it comes to hitting and tackling I have not seen roy's highlights. I know that I see taylor crush somebody for a huge play like every game.

Archived