Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"It's been a good year for the American people."

tex

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051222/pl_afp/usbushiraqterrorism_051222201244

"This has been a year of strong progress toward a freer, more peaceful world and a prosperous America," he said. "It's been a good year for the American people."

Guess no one noticed:

• We are at war
  • Hurricanes wreaked the gulf
  • National dept is increasing $3 billion per day
  • Total American debt is roughly $40 trillion whereas the size of the economy is around $11 trillion giving a debt to GDP ratio of over 350%
  • The trade deficit is running at an annual rate of $718 billion
  • Federal Reserve will discontinue reporting M3 March 2006

Spoken like a true Leader.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13484828,00.html

Queen's Speech In Full

Updated: 15:07, Sunday December 25, 2005

The Queen has focused on a year of natural disasters and acts of terrorism in her Christmas Day speech.

Here is her message in full:

"The day after my last Christmas message was broadcast, the world experienced one of the worst natural disasters ever recorded.

"The devastating tsunami struck countries around the Indian Ocean, causing death and destruction on an unprecedented scale.

"This was followed by a number of vicious hurricanes across the Caribbean and the inundation of the city of News Orleans.

"Then in the autumn came the massive earthquake in Pakistan and India.

"This series of dreadful events has brought loss and suffering to so many people and their families and friends, not only in the countries directly affected but here in Britain and throughout the Commonwealth.

"As if these disasters were not bad enough, I have sometimes thought that humanity seemed to have turned in on itself with wars, civil disturbances and acts of brutal terrorism.

"In this country, many people's lives were totally changed by the London bombings in July.

"This Christmas my thoughts are especially with those everywhere who are grieving the loss of loved ones during what for so many has been such a terrible year.

"These natural and human tragedies provided the headline news. They also provoked a quite remarkable humanitarian response.

"People of compassion all over the world responded with immediate practical and financial help.

"There may be an instinct in all of us to help those in distress but in many cases I believe this has been inspired by religious faith.

"Christianity is not the only religion to teach its followers to help others and to treat your neighbour as you would want to be treated yourself.

"It has been clear that in the course of this year relief workers and financial support have come from members of every faith and every corner of the world.

"There is no doubt that the process of rebuilding these communities is far from over and there will be fresh calls on our commitment to help in the future.

"Certainly the need for selflessness and generosity in the face of hardship is nothing new.

"The veterans of the second world war whom we honoured last summer can tell us how so often in moments of greatest trial those around them seemed to be able to draw on inner strength to find courage and compassion.

"We see this today in the way that young men and women are calmly serving our country around the world, often in great danger.

"This last year has reminded us that this world is not always an easy or a safe place to live in, but it is the only place we have.

"I believe also that it has shown us all how our faith, whatever our religion, can inspire us to work together in friendship and peace for the sake of our own and future generations.

"For Christians this festival of Christmas is the time to remember the birth of the one we call the Prince of Peace and our source of light and life in both good times and bad.

"It is not always easy to accept his teaching but I have no doubt that the New Year will be all the better if we do but try.

"I hope you will all have a very happy Christmas this year and that you go into the New Year with renewed hope and confidence.

• The Iraqi people voted in two historic elections, shutting up the left wing libs in this country that want us to fail in Iraq
  • Another year goes by without a terrorist attack on American soil
  • Despite the Katrina disaster, the economy keeps humming along, with low inflation and low unemployment
  • Home purchases are at an all time high and there is no end in sight
  • The left wing liberal left (Dean, Pelosi, Kerry, Kennedy) continues to make stupid anti-American statements sealing the Commiecrats fate in 2008

Thanks to President Bush, for not wavering in his beliefs and for not giving in to the left wing liberal traitors that want this country to fail on the war on terror.

My America is friggin great. But be honest people, if you were looking into a history book 20 years from now I don't think that any of us would read about the year 2005 and say "that was a good year." Suffering the largest recorded natural disaster while being at war does not a "good year" make. I appreciate the President wanting to stay positive but I disagree. It's been a year full of challenges but we did come out of it wonderfully, which is a credit to this great nation.

My America is friggin great. But be honest people, if you were looking into a history book 20 years from now I don't think that of us would read about the year 2005 and say "that was a good year." Suffering the largest recorded natural disaster while being at war does not a "good year" make. I appreciate the President wanting to stay positive but I disagree. It's been a year full of challenges but we did come out of it wonderfully, which is a credit to this great nation.

Great post :applause:

Thats the thing I like about you Des, you are not afraid to be intellectually honest in these debates

I am proud to be an American. Name a country you would rather live than right nere right now?

Anyone up for Syria, Russia, Iran, Ethiopia..........??

That's what my Czech friend always says when I start whining. "Hey, you could live in Somalia!" :laugh:

Pretty much always shuts me up.

I really dont think we can judge our year on a natural disaster. I mean, if youre gonna tell me I had a bad year because a hurricane killed alot of people, you are wrong. Thatd be like telling me every year I had a bad year because so many people were murdered in some cities.

Don't know if it was a great year... but this year actually was one of great hope. The world's reaction to the tsunami was inspiring... same with the will to help us after Katrina. The US people showed the nature of their heart and soul in giving to others this year and guys like Chometrics who shared his home and countless others who volunteered and donated all showed a part of why we're a great nation. The two elections in Iraq were extremely hopeful. If it works, Iraq will be a great, great thing for the entire world and especially Iraq. Still, not sure if we should have gone there in the first place, but amongst the tragedies, there are hints of great promise. There's more hope today in Iraq than there has been in twenty years. This hasn't been a great year in many ways, but really considering what we had to overcome we didn't do so badly.

Don't know if it was a great year... but this year actually was one of great hope. The world's reaction to the tsunami was inspiring... same with the will to help us after Katrina. The US people showed the nature of their heart and soul in giving to others this year and guys like Chometrics who shared his home and countless others who volunteered and donated all showed a part of why we're a great nation. The two elections in Iraq were extremely hopeful. If it works, Iraq will be a great, great thing for the entire world and especially Iraq. Still, not sure if we should have gone there in the first place, but amongst the tragedies, there are hints of great promise. There's more hope today in Iraq than there has been in twenty years. This hasn't been a great year in many ways, but really considering what we had to overcome we didn't do so badly.

well put

I am proud to be an American. Name a country you would rather live than right nere right now?

Anyone up for Syria, Russia, Iran, Ethiopia..........??

You can live like a King in Ethiopia....don't knock it till you try it.....Media portrayals of other countries is pathetic....and very influential...

Archived