Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GAME OF THE WEEK: Barber, Portis carry the load into NFC East showdown

TheDiplomat

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5190934

LANDOVER, Md. (AP) - Tiki Barber is an MVP candidate at the peak of his career, with a streak of five straight 100-yard games and a franchise-record 220 last week.

Clinton Portis is in a groove for the first time since moving his No. 26 jersey to the East Coast from Denver, with three straight 100-yard efforts that have helped rescue the Washington Redskins season.

The Giants (10-4) and Redskins (8-6) meet for the 148th time Saturday in a cold-weather, late-December, playoff-heavy game between teams with three-game winning streaks built on the running game and defense. Zip up the winter coat and watch the pads pop as the Giants go for the NFC East title and the Redskins could clinch a first postseason berth since 1999.

"I hope we run it 50 times. I hope they run it 50 times," Washington safety Sean Taylor said. "And I'm going to place my bet on 26. That's the way we're going to like it."

Once again, see Rule #10.

"No question in our mind that we know what we are getting into in Washington this weekend," Coughlin said. "It's going to be an NFC East showdown game, played in the latter part of the season with an awful lot on the line."

Captain Obvious has spoken.

Blondie

10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site. Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

You must have missed the thread about posting complete articles. No can do anymore..........................

Yeah, the Giants are SCARED

Unlikely.

I'm curious as to how the Giants' O-line will respond to the crowd noise. Every team that has come into our house has had multiple false starts that were due solely to the noise (not including the ones that were just bonehead moves by O-lineman). Is our crowd THAT loud, or is this common? I've never seen so many false starts in a game except for those played at Fed Ex.

Unlikely.

I'm curious as to how the Giants' O-line will respond to the crowd noise. Every team that has come into our house has had multiple false starts that were due solely to the noise (not including the ones that were just bonehead moves by O-lineman). Is our crowd THAT loud, or is this common? I've never seen so many false starts in a game except for those played at Fed Ex.

I have season tickets, i had them last year, and i've been to about 2 - 3 games a year. Trust me, it's THAT loud, it's louder then i've ever heard it, and it's great. You used to go to the games and it just be monotoned. it would be loud for the first drive then die off. Now people are loud all game long, not just loud but deafining. trust me, it is THAT loud at Fedex, and it's going to be a place where QB's fear

When we win and Portis runs for more yards than Tiki he should bust out that WCW belt I would love that would be so funny

Lol yea it would be funny. Portis standing on the sidelines on top of the bench holding his WCW belt up in the air. I can see it now................................:applause:

:gaintsuck

portis is right the outcome is gonna be directly related to him and tiki...are o-line has been dominant lately so lets hope they can go out and do the same this week even without randy thomas

after the game...clinton will be holding his belt high like the champ

Unlikely.

I've seen alot of false-starts from Pettigout this season. I'd like to see him get "jumpy" this saturday.

I have season tickets, i had them last year, and i've been to about 2 - 3 games a year. Trust me, it's THAT loud, it's louder then i've ever heard it, and it's great. You used to go to the games and it just be monotoned. it would be loud for the first drive then die off. Now people are loud all game long, not just loud but deafining. trust me, it is THAT loud at Fedex, and it's going to be a place where QB's fear

I hear you. I go to games every year, so I know the stark contrast between the crowd's noice this year and in previous years. However, I guess I'm trying to gauge it in comparison to other stadiums. I've never seen a game anywhere else.

the substitution of Ray Brown for Randy Thomas and the absence of Antonio Pierce and injury status of William Joseph tells me that Clinton Portis is going to be running the ball between the tackles a LOT more than in recent weeks.

Ray Brown is going to help this club in short yardage as well, another critical factor in these close December games.

Portis And Tiki Are Key, But I Believe The Deciding Factor Will Be The Running Tandum Of Portis,rock, And Betts. Tiki Only Has Tiki And If We Shut Him Down They Have To Pass. However If TheY Stifle Clinton, Then Betts Or Rock Can Carry The Load Just As Hard. So We Have To Be Ready For The Run 60%of The Time While They Have To Be Weary Of The Run About 90% Of The Time.

Remember that Clinton Portis only ran the ball about 4 times last game. I think our lack of a run game was a major reason that we didn't score any points against them, and ultimately why we lost (they dominated the time of possession by almost 2 to 1 - a definite symptom of not having a running game).

The Giants run D took a big hit with the loss of Pierce and Joseph in the Eagles game. The Eagles and Chiefs ran them ragged since then - with the Eagles getting 175 yards and the Chiefs getting 188 yards. (The Eagles and Chiefs combined for 141 yards total against us, with neither team reaching 100.)

Archived