Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sportsline: Parcells wanted Merriman on draft day, but got overruled by Jerrah

goldenster95

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/sportsline/main9104505.shtml

5. Cincinnati's Odell Thurman probably wins the league's defensive rookie of the year award. But I just changed my vote to San Diego's Shawne Merriman. He creates havoc when he rushes the passer, as Manning discovered Sunday. It was Merriman who sacked Manning twice and tackled the star quarterback for a loss on a fourth-and-goal at the San Diego 1. Merriman's two sacks put him at nine for the season, and don't mention it to Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. He wanted to draft Merriman this year, but owner Jerry Jones tilted toward DeMarcus Ware. There was a furious debate the morning of the draft, and guess who won? Yep, San Diego.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/sportsline/main9104505.shtml

5. Cincinnati's Odell Thurman probably wins the league's defensive rookie of the year award. But I just changed my vote to San Diego's Shawne Merriman. He creates havoc when he rushes the passer, as Manning discovered Sunday. It was Merriman who sacked Manning twice and tackled the star quarterback for a loss on a fourth-and-goal at the San Diego 1. Merriman's two sacks put him at nine for the season, and don't mention it to Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. He wanted to draft Merriman this year, but owner Jerry Jones tilted toward DeMarcus Ware. There was a furious debate the morning of the draft, and guess who won? Yep, San Diego.

You gotta post this on the girls and Chargers board Goldy :laugh:

I find this ridiculously hard to fathom. When Parcells got overruled about Terry Glenn in New England in 1996, he rode him harder than any player he's ever had - remember the famous "she" comment his rookie year?

Parcells has gone out of his way to call Ware the next LT in so many words. I seriously doubt he would do that for a player he didn't want.

I find this ridiculously hard to fathom. When Parcells got overruled about Terry Glenn in New England in 1996, he rode him harder than any player he's ever had - remember the famous "she" comment his rookie year?

Parcells has gone out of his way to call Ware the next LT in so many words. I seriously doubt he would do that for a player he didn't want.

the difference is Ware is actually good

Glenn is a punk b*%*#

You gotta post this on the girls and Chargers board Goldy :laugh:

:laugh: I'll see what I can do.

BTW, at least one Dallas sportscaster is panning this story. He's claiming that Ware was Parcells pick all along, hence the early statements by Parcells comparing Ware to LT. To be sure, Ware showed flashes of why he was picked so high, but he's since taken quite a dip from the adulation Parcells lavished on him early on. Indeed, in scrutinizing eyes of those in some circles, Ware not only has fallen short of what Merriman has done, he's just not that good. Given this fall from grace in Parcells eyes, the sportscaster continues, Parcells is now trying to duck the blame for picking Ware and planting a story that it was Jones' decision in the first place. He's done so by currying favor with his boys in the Northeast to run with a story throwing Jerrah under the bus.

:laugh: I'll see what I can do.

BTW, at least one Dallas sportscaster is panning this story. He's claiming that Ware was Parcells pick all along, hence the early statements by Parcells comparing Ware to LT. To be sure, Ware showed flashes of why he was picked so high, but he's since taken quite a dip from the adulation Parcells lavished on him early on. Indeed, in scrutinizing eyes of those in some circles, Ware not only has fallen short of what Merriman has done, he's just not that good. Given this fall from grace in Parcells eyes, the sportscaster continues, Parcells is now trying to duck the blame for picking Ware and planting a story that it was Jones' decision in the first place. He's done so by currying favor with his boys in the Northeast to run with a story throwing Jerrah under the bus.

And Parcells was the second gunman on the grassy knoll too, right? Too funny.

That is the point Dirk. Parcells missed on the draft pick and is now backpeddling and trying to blame Jerry Jones for this rather than accepting responsibility for the f'd up pick. He did call ware the second coming of LT and now looks the fool.

Parcells stated in the beginning he is the one who chooses players in Dallas, and when they are good, he takes all the credit, when they don't pan out, its someone else's fault. Piss on Parcells.

Sorry, but I don't think Dallas made a mistake in drafting Ware. Shawne Merriman has looked outstanding this last couple of games, but he hasn't contributed like that for the whole season. So I don't know if anyone could say for certain at this point that Dallas was foolish for not drafting him.

Personally, I think a rookie defender that significantly contributes for the entire season should be picked as the defensive rookie of the year.

*cough**LofaTatupu**cough*

I am SO glad the Cowgirls don't have Stephen Jackson and Shawne Merriman!!! :)

:dallasuck

Yeah...thank god....

3 sacks and 3 fumbles and 194 yards rushing.

For the record, JJ is less than 100 yards behind Jackson's rushing total for the year.

Ware is pretty nasty I think he is also one of the leaders in tackles for loss. You really can't go wrong with either one of them, Merrimen or Ware.

I agree, they are both going to be great players for a long time.

Right now, Merriman is a nasty SOB who punishes people.

Ware is the better player off the edge.

There careers, as well as Stephen Jackson/Kevin Jones/ Julius Jones, will be compared to each other for years.

Archived