Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Vindication for Skins Who Didn't Make the Pro Bowl/Snubs (Merged)

skins4eva

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2005/edholm122205.htm

So the best part is over. The Pro Bowl voting easily stirs the soul more than the actual game itself, right? I mean, it’s rare for someone – make that most NFL fans – to get fired up over something that few sane people will watch. But we do it. We argue over

who should make the team because it’s the honor of being recognized as being the best at your job.

To me it’s a little like lead-up to the NCAA tournament minus the games themselves. We spend the week leading up to the event talking about “bubble teams” and then the first few furious hours after the field is announced lamenting the middle-rung teams

that don’t get in – none of which would ever win anything more than a game or two had they made it.

But we watch the games in college hoops, so let’s get the complaining out of the way with the NFL’s picks for 2005 since the game will be an afterthought. To me, the picks this season were pretty solid, but the NFL’s biggest mistake was not telling Colts OT Tarik Glenn he made the team and then calling back to say, "Sorry, we meant didn’t make the team" (though that, clearly, was bad). The biggest faux pas to me was leaving Glenn off the squad.

So without further ado, let’s see how the other positions were represented and who the missing persons were:

Offense

Quarterback

Who they picked: AFC – Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer; NFC – Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck and Michael Vick.

Who they forgot: Mark Brunell – Throw out his three-pick game against the Cardinals, and Brunell has an incredible interception rate this season. And he’s

one third of an offensive trio that has risen the Redskins to the doorstep of the playoffs.

Running back

Who they picked: AFC – Edgerrin James, Larry Johnson and LaDainian Tomlinson; NFC – Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber and Warrick Dunn.

Who they forgot: You can’t argue with this sextet.

Expanded roster picks: Rudi Johnson and Clinton Portis – Johnson has been one of the most underrated forces in the league this season, consistent and strong. On the few occasions when Palmer has fallen short, Johnson has picked up the Bengals. Portis, meanwhile, can’t match the Pro Bowl picks’ TD totals, but he has become a better running back – yes, you read that right – than what he was in Denver: more well-rounded and durable, able to carry a team on his back.

Edited to comply with new forum policy; see rule 10 ~ ihs

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2005/edholm122205.htm

This is not from a Redskins related site. This is not some "SE homer" writing and look how many Skins he mentioned that were left out by Pro Bowl selection.

A look at who really should have made the Pro Bowl

By Eric Edholm (eedholm@pfwmedia.com)

Dec. 22, 2005

So the best part is over. The Pro Bowl voting easily stirs the soul more than the actual game itself, right? I mean, it’s rare for someone – make that most NFL fans – to get fired up over something that few sane people will watch. But we do it. We argue over

who should make the team because it’s the honor of being recognized as being the best at your job.

To me it’s a little like lead-up to the NCAA tournament minus the games themselves. We spend the week leading up to the event talking about “bubble teams” and then the first few furious hours after the field is announced lamenting the middle-rung teams

that don’t get in – none of which would ever win anything more than a game or two had they made it.

But we watch the games in college hoops, so let’s get the complaining out of the way with the NFL’s picks for 2005 since the game will be an afterthought. To me, the picks this season were pretty solid, but the NFL’s biggest mistake was not telling Colts OT Tarik Glenn he made the team and then calling back to say, "Sorry, we meant didn’t make the team" (though that, clearly, was bad). The biggest faux pas to me was leaving Glenn off the squad.

Please see rule 10 in the Rules and Guidelines ~ ihs

Who they forgot: Sean Taylor – Boy, I must seem like a Redskins fan. But the kid has been far more of an impact player than Williams, who’s guilty of being subpar in coverage and known better for his horse-collar (or, shirt-collar) tackles. Taylor is so

key to Gregg Williams’ man-free defenses, able to cover the slot receivers, blanket tight ends or sit back in coverage as a center fielder.

whoa...he must be a skins fan..lol

Well, it is good to see this kind of attention in the media no matter who does or doesn't go to the ProBowl. The upside to all of this is the fact that none of these guys seems to be upset at missing it and show that kind of team spirt we have lacked for too long. The ProBowls and slavering attention from the mediots will come once this team reestablishes itself as a force to be reckoned with. Are we there yet? No, I honestly don't think we are but BOY am I looking forward to next season already!

Archived