Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tice rips fans for selling tickets to Steelers faithful

SkinsNut73

Probably would have meant more coming from a coach who didn't scalp his own Super Bowl tickets :D

Mike Tice's message to Vikings fans: Do as I say, not as I do.

Tice told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis, Minn., that he was upset with the number of Steelers fans that occupied seats at the Metrodome on Sunday, estimating their numbers at 15,000 to 20,000. The newspaper reported that if Tice's estimation was correct, at least 10,000 of the Vikings' season-ticket holders sold their tickets.

"It confuses me, I guess," Tice told the newspaper. "Maybe they're not really diehard season-ticket holders or maybe they needed the money for Christmas presents. I don't know. One of the two."

On Sunday, the Vikings lost 18-3 to the Steelers -- a damaging blow to the team's playoff hopes. Tice said the number of Steelers fans at Sunday's game affected the Vikings' home-field advantage.

"Look, when you go to some stadiums, it's so deafening that you can't hear. When you have 15 to 20 thousand of the opponent's fans in there, it's not deafening," Tice told the newspaper. "There is a difference. The fans that were there were great. But it wasn't like a big game when it's just your guys in there.

"Maybe, in their defense, they sold the tickets when ... we were 2-5. Maybe they said, 'The heck with it, I'm not going to that.' Maybe that's the case. Or maybe Pittsburgh fans are just a little more diehard than our fans are."

The entire article is here

There is a huge difference between selling SB tickets which your team is not playing, and is in another city, to selling your own season tickets when your team is in playoff contention.

Kneejerk journalism at its best and a few of you fell for it.

There is also the comparison of a multimillionaire selling insider Superbowl tickets to fatten his bankroll, and fans trying to recoup their poor investment in a team that certainly has never repaid them with a Superbowl win.

There is a huge difference between selling SB tickets which your team is not playing, and is in another city, to selling your own season tickets when your team is in playoff contention.

Kneejerk journalism at its best and a few of you fell for it.

I see your point (assuming they actually sold the tickets when their team was in playoff contention and not when they were 2-5...and folks were figuring I better dump these tix now while they still have some value to someone).

...but don't you think Tice should have kept his mouth shut on the issue? He had to know the media and fans would immediately link the Viking fans scalping to his scalping, eh? Pretty dumb of him to open his mouth IMO...

Archived