Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On Progress and how to keep the wheels turning

Captain Chaos47

Hi all. I'm a new member and introduced myself on a thread earlier today. I wanted to start a discussion about the idea of the Redskins progressing. It is clear that we are a better team this year than last year. But how, in this era of free agency and salary cap, do you keep progressing and not take a step backwards instead of forward? I can't help but think about our 2000 season. We were coming off a playoff berth and winning the division. We added some real "superstar power" to the mix and it yielded less than desireable results.

I think the most important element is continuity. I think that is becoming a bit of a cliche in these parts but I really think there is some truth to it. To have these guys around each other for more than 1-2 years is of upmost importance. To have the same head coach in place for longer than a few years is key. Of course Norv was here for 7 years and didn't do much. You need to have a GOOD coach in place, which I think most of us will agree that we do.

On top of that I think that locking up the younger players early is key. Guys like Cooley and Taylor who have clearly demonstrated on the field that they are keepers need to be extended. I think that if there is a group of guys that can look around and realize that they will be together for a long time that they will benefit from it. They will want to come together, learn each others tendencies and make the most of the time they have together. Of course you have to be selective of who you extend. You need to have guys who get it done on the field and who will be leaders in the lockerroom in the long term.

In any case I'm not trying to take attention away from the season still at hand. Just thinking ahead to how how turn this from just one good season ala 1999 into something that can last for a long time. Any thoughts you guys have on the subject are appreciated.

Okay, we got our QB of the future, now we need to manage the draft better. We give way too many picks away. In this salary cap era, the elite teams have been built thru the draft. Just look at New England and Philly for instance, they sign few free agents, but seek extra draft picks. Draft picks are their highest priority. Instead of paying big bucks for free agents, they sign the their draft picks for five years and keep developing their crops.

There's no way to become a dynasty in the salary cap era without good draft management. This is the way to go. Spending $ 100,000,000.00 per year on free agents never got us anywhere. We were only spinning our wheels, not realizing they would soon pop.

Indeed. In this era it's all about having a good scheme, some star power to build around and then keeping the cabinets stocked with lots of cheap talent. The draft is the best way of developing that talent it seems.

I think draft picks are built through the mid round picks. Those players can come in, play on special teams and develop over time. We haven't gotten as much as we could out of these picks. I agree, we don't value them as much and we risk losing depth.

On offense I feel we are just a #2 WR away, and of course the magic word depth.

Portis, Moss, Cooley, and a very good OL that is starting to gell(I don't think Thomas's injury hurts the overall OL chemistry at all).

On defense we just need a consistent pass rushing DE and some depth over all.

Overall we are very good for the future, save for at QB where Campbell is still a ? at this point.

If not this year, I think Gibbs will win a fourth Superbowl with a fourth different Quarterback by the time he is done head-coaching for us. HTTR and Go Gibbs. :logo:

Hey, if we win the SB this year he will have a chance for 5 with 5 qb's.

I agree, we need to do a better job in the draft. I don't think we have done horribly, but certainly not better than average and a superior organization needs to be superior in evaluating draft talent. I'm glad Gibbs has a say but I still think we need a good GM.

Archived