Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this good parenting?

endzone_dave

Guest sith lord
http://xboxfor100.ytmnd.com/

I think a better way to handle this would be to calmly expain to the kid that the 360 will be sold immediately. I'd then explain that if he can demonsrate proper behavior for a certain period of time, he'll get one. I'm not sure that playing the trick on the kid does much to improve the kid's problem(s).

No, that wouldn't be good parenting. If he would of kicked my $2000 stereo over, not only would he not be getting an Xbox 360, he would get his little arse beaten.

Also, why would your kid have to demonstrate proper behavior for a "certain period of time"?

The kid is addicted to video games and will apparently do anything he thinks will get more of what he's addicted to. The question here is, why does the kid feel so appathetic about his life that he has to hide in a vitural one?

This 'move', by the parents, will backfire because they are treating the symptom and not the problem.

No, its not good parenting....its called having no idea how to discipline your child. For the child to have the nerve to kick over the stereo in the first place tells me there is a parenting problem....for the child to even have the thought (making this desperate trick possible) that he is still getting the x-box is absurd.

Guest sith lord

You guys are raising a legion of spoiled brats. If you don't hand down corporal punishment to your kids, they grow up not fearing you and that will become a problem as time goes by.

The kid is addicted to video games and will apparently do anything he thinks will get more of what he's addicted to. The question here is, why does the kid feel so appathetic about his life that he has to hide in a vitural one?

This 'move', by the parents, will backfire because they are treating the symptom and not the problem.

I don't know I think you might be going a little too deep....from what I have read I think he is a spoiled, undisciplined child that for once is not getting his way. :2cents:

In my opinion the issue with this kid disrespecting his parents started long ago. If you discipline them when they are young, you will have less problems when the get older. Be consistent. Explain to them what they have done wrong, how disappointed you are and then :whippin:

No, that wouldn't be good parenting. If he would of kicked my $2000 stereo over, not only would he not be getting an Xbox 360, he would get his little arse beaten.

Also, why would your kid have to demonstrate proper behavior for a "certain period of time"?

Hopefully my kids don't grow up to be like this kid. :)

If I were in that parent's shoes, I'd go back to the basics. Bad behavior results in bad consequences (360 is taken away), good behavior is rewarded (360 is given to him). The "certain period of time" would be quite a long time.

I don't know I think you might be going a little too deep....from what I have read I think he is a spoiled, undisciplined child that for once is not getting his way. :2cents:

Kicking over a stereo system, that is his dad's is way beyond undisciplined.

Not much is being said in the way of video game addiction because it's affects are not life threatening, except when the police find the 1st person shooter games in most (all) of the homes of the kids committing the school shootings.

Here's a diffinition of addiction: A pathological relationship to a mood altering substance or event, that has life damaging consequenses

Kicking over a stereo system, that is his dad's is way beyond undisciplined.

Not much is being said in the way of video game addiction because it's affects are not life threatening, except when the police find the 1st person shooter games in most (all) of the homes of the kids committing the school shootings.

Here's a diffinition of addiction: A pathological relationship to a mood altering substance or event, that has life damaging consequenses

Why is it that someone can watch TV for 4 hours a day and no one cries about TV addiction? If they play VGs just as much then they have mental problems..... That doesn't make any sense to me.

Either way FPS games are commonly found in the homes of gamers, period. If shooters are gamers, odds are they'd have an FPS title or 4. I have many and I'm pretty much the most non-violent person you are likely to meet.... unless you consider paintball to be violence, in which case I am a destroyer of worlds.

Guest sith lord
Yeah but ... uh ... at least they grow up. :)

To be what, though. I'm not saying giving your kids beatings left and right is the answer to everything. I even know people who got beatings when they were little to grow up to be criminals. All I'm saying is if you "Spare the rod, you spoil the child". And that's the god honest truth.

You guys are raising a legion of spoiled brats. If you don't hand down capital punishment to your kids, they grow up not fearing you and that will become a problem as time goes by.

You meant corporal punishment. That is spanking. Capital Punishment would be more like........executing. :)

Failure to gain control at a very young age will bite you in the butt. Kids are like politicians. Once they get a taste of power, they are loathe to give it up.

To be what, though. I'm not saying giving your kids beatings left and right is the answer to everything. I even know people who got beatings when they were little to grow up to be criminals. All I'm saying is if you "Spare the rod, you spoil the child". And that's the god honest truth.

And I know plenty of people that weren't spanked and grew up to be normal people. Blanket statements like that aren't the answer either guy. I have three kids and I can tell you they all respond differently to various forms of punishment. "Spank your kids" is too easy. Knowing your kids, and as a matter of course knowing how to properly discipline each one is far more important than mindlessly beating on them when they act up.

You meant corporal punishment. That is spanking. Capital Punishment would be more like........executing. :)

No, Capital Punishment. To qoute Bill Cosby, "I brought you into this world, I can take you out."

:laugh:

Seriously though, Dads have to be the big dog. You hope that the bark will be enough to get kids to see the error in their ways, but sometimes it requires a little bite. This would be one of the times where the kid would go to bed with a sore ass.

Guest sith lord
And I know plenty of people that weren't spanked and grew up to be normal people. Blanket statements like that aren't the answer either guy. I have three kids and I can tell you they all respond differently to various forms of punishment. "Spank your kids" is too easy. Knowing your kids, and as a matter of course knowing how to properly discipline each one is far more important than mindlessly beating on them when they act up.

Your way of discipline might work on some kids, but I know kids that would take that as a sign of weakness. I think it's time to face the facts, that "time out" experiment didn't work.

Archived