Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL should fine Roy Williams

scruffylookin

The NFL really needs to do something about Roy "I can't make a legal tackle to save my life" Williams. The only way this guy tackles is by grabbing a player from the jersey neckline and drag him down.

Watch a replay of the Santana screen pass, and watch Roy Williams. After Moss is slowed up by the linebacker, Williams is coming up from behind and is reaching for his neck and was going to try and drag him down. Luckily Santana was hit and tackled before Williams got a hold of him, otherwise I'm afraid of the injury Santana might have suffered. Of course everyone remembers the drag down on Portis earlier in the game also.

I don't care if the "horse collar" rule states grabbing the pad constitutes a foul, just grabbing a player from behind by the neckline and using your own body weight to drag him down is dangerous and that tackle should be outlawed.

Hey Roy, if you're too small or too slow to get into proper position to tackle guys straight up, get the hell out of the sport you punk. :mad:

roy is an idiot. i wonder where my troll friend who called ST "mini-roy" is today. in the name of all that is holy i wish he was here.

Very quiet on the Cowboy front today....I think it will take them a while to suck it up and realize that the Redskins are a better team.

The NFL really needs to do something about Roy "I can't make a legal tackle to save my life" Williams. The only way this guy tackles is by grabbing a player from the jersey neckline and drag him down.

Watch a replay of the Santana screen pass, and watch Roy Williams. After Moss is slowed up by the linebacker, Williams is coming up from behind and is reaching for his neck and was going to try and drag him down. Luckily Santana was hit and tackled before Williams got a hold of him, otherwise I'm afraid of the injury Santana might have suffered. Of course everyone remembers the drag down on Portis earlier in the game also.

I don't care if the "horse collar" rule states grabbing the pad constitutes a foul, just grabbing a player from behind by the neckline and using your own body weight to drag him down is dangerous and that tackle should be outlawed.

Hey Roy, if you're too small or too slow to get into proper position to tackle guys straight up, get the hell out of the sport you punk. :mad:

I agree totally.

The thing that really pisses me off is that despite the rule, this punk still looks to make these "horse collar" tackles. He goes for them anyway. It's just blind luck that he grabs a jersey instead of the pads.

He will not stop doing it until the NFL fines or suspends him.

But what do they care.....they're too busy worrying whether or not Clinton Portis' socks are the proper height. :rolleyes:

It was mentioned on NFL network about a week or so ago that they may try to extend the horse collar rule to include grabbing inside the jersey collar

What can I say? It is a legal tackle. If they change the rule then fine, but what exactly is there to complain about as far as Roy is concerned? Clearly, he uses it quite effectively and players have been doing it for years.

And saying that Roy can't tackle is just dumb. He is one of the best tacklers in the whole league. Horse collar or not.

I came f@#&ing unglued when I saw Portis might have been hurt. I totally agree that RW is a massive hitter, but I think that the only reason why is because he is an illegal hitter.

The NFL tried to rule against this form of tackling because it is prone to injuring players. How can we include technical jargon with the horse collar if dragging a player down from the collar period ends in the same resault?

What can I say? It is a legal tackle. If they change the rule then fine, but what exactly is there to complain about as far as Roy is concerned? Clearly, he uses it quite effectively and players have been doing it for years.

And saying that Roy can't tackle is just dumb. He is one of the best tacklers in the whole league. Horse collar or not.

while Williams had the Jersey on Portis,

Williams in general is not that good of a tackler... if he was, he wouldn't have to grab the jersey so often from behind, and he wants to spear, instead of lowering his butt and wrap up with his arms.

big hits & cheap shots do NOT equal good tackling

I came f@#&ing unglued when I saw Portis might have been hurt. I totally agree that RW is a massive hitter, but I think that the only reason why is because he is an illegal hitter.

The NFL tried to rule against this form of tackling because it is prone to injuring players. How can we include technical jargon with the horse collar if dragging a player down from the collar period ends in the same resault?

It hasn't really proven to yield the same result though. The main concern with the move was that it would basically destroy person's leg/ankle. I thought Portis came down funny on his neck?

I'm not usually one to get involved in an issue like this, but I really hate Roy Williams.

He is honestly one of the only players I've ever seen who I can say with 100% certainty is playing to hurt someone and is playing dirty.

He needs to be fined. It's not just his horsecollars, but he also goes helmet-to-helmet on many occasions and leads with his helmet on many more.

roy is an idiot. i wonder where my troll friend who called ST "mini-roy" is today. in the name of all that is holy i wish he was here.

Amen to that. Me and mini-roy had some words, and all I asked was for the clown to show up the day after - win, lose, or draw.

Before the game, it's Mini-clown wall-to-wall.

The day after, where did he go?

If he's so good, why does he have to go for the horse collar first?

That's what got me steamed. He was coming up behind Santana and could have tried to hit him or dive to tackle him around his legs. No, instead of this his first instinct is to go for the horse collar and to pull him down using his body weight. I'm just thankful Moss got hit and knocked down a fraction of a second before the punk actually grabbed him.

Williams in general is not that good of a tackler... if he was, he wouldn't have to grab the jersey so often from behind, and he wants to spear, instead of lowering his butt and wrap up with his arms.

big hits & cheap shots do NOT equal good tackling

You just haven't watched Roy enough if you think he is just about the big hits. Maybe he use to be. But the fact is that right now he is one of the surest tacklers in the league. He knows how to put a person down.The big hits thing is just a bonus (he is a real fumble machine).

And even if they changed the rule so that you couldn't even grab jersey Roy STILL wouldn't have been called for the Horsecollar on that play. You can drag a guy down while moving forward, you just can't pull him into you. With his tackles on Portis and Tiki he actually purposely avoided dragging them into him even though he only had jersey. So I really don't see this "dirty player" mentality.

I know I haven't seen it called. On the other hand, I really don't understand the rule entirely.

You are not the only one. I don't believe the refs have a clue either. I don't believe that they have called that at all this, if I am wrong, please someone inform me. My concern is that since it has not been called, players are getting more brazen on tackling like that. I believe that the only time a ref is going to throw a flag now is when he sees a bone sticking out of someones leg after he gets tackled like that. Yeah, just in time ref...career ending injury to a professional athlete thanks to your non-calls all season long. This is not just a Redskin issue that they blew that call, but an NFL one. Sorta like the Packers/Detroit game and the safety that was reversed. Just bad officiating across the NFL.

You just haven't watched Roy enough if you think he is just about the big hits. Maybe he use to be. But the fact is that right now he is one of the surest tacklers in the league. He knows how to put a person down.The big hits thing is just a bonus (he is a real fumble machine).

And even if they changed the rule so that you couldn't even grab jersey Roy STILL wouldn't have been called for the Horsecollar on that play. You can drag a guy down while moving forward, you just can't pull him into you. With his tackles on Portis and Tiki he actually purposely avoided dragging them into him even though he only had jersey. So I really don't see this "dirty player" mentality.

The reason that you have such an elaborate explanation is because you know that what we are saying is true. Don't be salty, everyone knows that he is not necessarily a dirty player, but he is a poor tackler. There is no doubt about that, he is Santana's $itch! :laugh:

Archived