Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Exactly is Sun Tzu's Philosophy?

Reaganaut

Guest Goatroper

Sun Tzu wrote The Art of War.

Read it if you want to know about his philosophy, as there is not a one-liner that would cover it.

P.S. Thanks for the link!

Yeah, there's not really a statement that can sum up his philosophy. His philosophies are basically situational, and phychological warfare minded at times. You've probably heard several of his famous quotes and might not even realize they're his. For example, "Better to have your enemies speak ill of you than not at all." and "Live to fight another day if the engagement is wrong."

SOS always quotes those guys he loves. Any of his QBs will tell you he's constantly saying something like, "Don't get satisfied with that four-hundred-yard game you three last week. You know what Ben Franklin said, 'You show me a satisfied man, and I'll show you a failure.' You hear?"

Originally posted by Goatroper

Sun Tzu wrote The Art of War.

Read it if you want to know about his philosophy, as there is not a one-liner that would cover it.

You are correct of course, but paradoxicly I diasagree with your correctness just the same.

My one liner: Every battle is won or lost before it is fought.

Everything else he writes is an attempt to show you how to bring about this condition-- the certainty of victory.

"The Art of War" is one of the 7 great mystical texts of antiquity. It is the most misunderstood of the seven.

You can't generalize the principles in the book, but you can generally describe the book. It's a compilation of observations about military tactics and strategy that deal with tactical and strategic decision making by leadership. It's broken into subjects that deal with various aspects of combat or military units. For example, there is a chapter if I recall that deals with special weapons and tactics, and organization of units that specialize in them.

What people have found over the millennia (I think this book is like three or four thousand years old!) is that these general military principles, however they were applied in Sun Tzu's time, are still applicable today. People have also found, however, that these principals are no less applicable to those who are administering organizations in a competitive environment, such as business.

Hope that helps.

If you want the core explanation for Spurrier's MO, look no further than these six paragraphs:

18. All warfare is based on deception.

19. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable;

when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we

are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away;

when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

20. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder,

and crush him.

21. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him.

If he is in superior strength, evade him.

22. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to

irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

23. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest.

If his forces are united, separate them.

24. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where

you are not expected.

25. These military devices, leading to victory,

must not be divulged beforehand.

"Aw, shucks boys, I'm just a 'ole ball coach. We're going to see if we can't pitch it around a little bit." That takes on a whole new meaning now, doesn't it? ;)

Makes you wonder if we really are struggling. Really:

-There hasn't been a big attempt to run the ball. Sure we don't need to because it may wear SD down, but...

-The Offense has been nothing but Vanilla, of course that is expected in the preseason, but SS himself said Pittsburg and Carolina "showed some plays" in order to score. We haven't done that. We have scored from a Pass Only offense so far and everyone knows that SS likes to get balance.

-The best receivers other than RG were not in the game with DW. It seemed to me weird that in critical situations during DW's three possesions that Doering was not in the game and he is DW's security blanket. Besides, DW only attemped 5 passes, that's not showing much.

Basically, It looks like our first team sucks because we haven't done much yet.

but: 1. Sage, the qb with the least experience started the first game. 2. DW wasn only in the game for 3 possesions. 3. No reall attempt to run the ball has been made. (wouldn't you think that a group of second and third stringers would be able to stop our group of second and third stringers knowing that we are passing 80% of the time?)

Just my opinion.

Archived