Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Song played in 4th qtr question (Merged x2)

Huly

I did not see this posted (sorry if it was but my head is still fuzzy from the game).

A few co-workers who watched the game on TV told me that when the stadium music personnel started play "Don't let your daughters grow up to be Cowboys" in the end of the 4th qtr that Joe Gibbs called up there or made a motion for them to stop it. Does anyone know anything about this?

I don't see the big deal either.

It's a song about Cowboys. We were playing the Cowboys. It's the same as the "We Want Dallas!" chants we started...

Its one thing for the organization to do it, its another thing for the fans to do it.

I say next season we all memorize that song, and as a crowd sing it at the girls game here. maybe hand out lyric sheets :D

I don't get it. I understand the class aspect, but this is football and a big rivalry at that.

Nobody had a problem with them holding thier

'ring of fame' tripletts celebration at half time on MNF, which they paid dearly for, so what's wrong with a humorous song on the pa, all sports arenas do it.

I'd have played the 'mamas don't let you cowboys grow up to be babies'

instead.

Its one thing for the organization to do it, its another thing for the fans to do it.

I say next season we all memorize that song, and as a crowd sing it at the girls game here. maybe hand out lyric sheets :D

The late, great Waylon Jennings:

Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys

Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold.

They'd rather give you a song than diamonds or gold.

Lonestar belt buckles and old faded levis,

And each night begins a new day.

If you don't understand him, an' he don't die young,

He'll prob'ly just ride away.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.

Don't let 'em pick guitars or drive them old trucks.

Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such.

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.

'Cos they'll never stay home and they're always alone.

Even with someone they love.

Cowboys like smokey old pool rooms and clear mountain mornings,

Little warm puppies and children and girls of the night.

Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do,

Sometimes won't know how to take him.

He ain't wrong, he's just different but his pride won't let him,

Do things to make you think he's right.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.

Don't let 'em pick guitars or drive them old trucks.

Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such.

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.

'Cos they'll never stay home and they're always alone.

Even with someone they love.

There's definitely a big distinction between the crowd doing something and the organization doing it. But this rivalry needs some sparking in my opinion. This year's sweep helps A LOT, but every little jab helps too!

Why would Coach Gibbs want the music cut?

"Don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys" is hardly an offensive or even inflammatory song. I think it's just good natured ribbing.

I think Gibbs asked them to cut it out because it was being played WHILE the game was still going on. Though the result was not in doubt, the teams were still playing, and it's not kosher to play music during gameplay (except during time outs, I guess). I think if it were played after the game ended it would have been no big deal.

Thats exactly right and if they had continued playing Dallas could have used that against us in a huge win later on playing something when we are down. so it was a good move by Gibbs

Why would Coach Gibbs want the music cut?

"Don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys" is hardly an offensive or even inflammatory song. I think it's just good natured ribbing.

the same reason he threw only 1 pass play in the second half... he just doesn't want to embarrass or "rub it in". He is total class... and Parcells is a friend of his.

I did not see this posted (sorry if it was but my head is still fuzzy from the game).

A few co-workers who watched the game on TV told me that when the stadium music personnel started play "Don't let your daughters grow up to be Cowboys" in the end of the 4th qtr that Joe Gibbs called up there or made a motion for them to stop it. Does anyone know anything about this?

On the radio on the way home they said that Gibbs told them to stop playing the song lol (it was in very bad taste)

Huly, it was nice seeing you again. Thank you very much for taking the pics for me before the game. They came out Great !! HTTR :cheers:

Archived