Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys Underestimated Redskins Today

bulldog

The more I think about this game and the week leading up, the more I am convinced the Cowboys players believed the press clippings that the Redksins were a wounded team that had barely beaten the Cardinals and would be in no shape to turn around and play a game with such a long injury list.

I have no doubt that Parcells and his staff tried to fight off this somewhat natural tendency of the players to read the press and underestimate the Skins but in the end they were unsuccessful.

You could see from hits in the first quarter that the Redskins came to play while Dallas showed up to post an easy 'W'. By the time the haze wore off the Redskins had buzzed Dallas for 21 points and every time Dallas started to get back into the flow of action with a completion or first down conversion, one of their offensive linemen was inevitably called for motion or holding.

The fourth quarter was merely an exercise in running out the clock and seeing if Dallas could salvage pride in preventing the shutout.

The problem with the cowboys is they usually get so many gift games from the refs they really don't know how good they are..

On our side we claw and fight and are learning how to dominate in such a way to take the refs out..

Maybe some day I can thank the officials for all the B.S over the last 7 years..

just not yet!

If Dallas underestimated the Redskins today, then shame on them!! If they were convinced that we couldn't move the ball, throw, run, block, catch, then they were wrong. We took it to them. We outhustled them and outplayed them.

I think it started when Portis first ran on them since he wasn't able to do it before. When Portis got like 35-40 yards in his first five carries, the Cowboy defense started to break. But the end of the first half, the Cowboy defense was broken in two.

We played a pretty good defensive game. I think intimidation factored in against their offense. Once we got both their offense and their defense respect, we took their heart and didn't look back.

The more I think about this game and the week leading up, the more I am convinced the Cowboys players believed the press clippings that the Redksins were a wounded team that had barely beaten the Cardinals and would be in no shape to turn around and play a game with such a long injury list.

I have no doubt that Parcells and his staff tried to fight off this somewhat natural tendency of the players to read the press and underestimate the Skins but in the end they were unsuccessful.

You could see from hits in the first quarter that the Redskins came to play while Dallas showed up to post an easy 'W'. By the time the haze wore off the Redskins had buzzed Dallas for 21 points and every time Dallas started to get back into the flow of action with a completion or first down conversion, one of their offensive linemen was inevitably called for motion or holding.

The fourth quarter was merely an exercise in running out the clock and seeing if Dallas could salvage pride in preventing the shutout.

I agree. They have gotten so used to whipping up on us that they seemed to assume that we would fold. Boy were thy wrong. I'm not looking forward to our next game with them next year. They are going to be looking for some payback.

I'm not looking forward to our next game with them next year. They are going to be looking for some payback.

They should have been looking for payback tonight!

"Bill Parcells is 77-0 when leading in the 4th. Oh wait scratch that, the Redskins still have 4 minutes on the field. Better make it 77-1."

That was an emberassment in their own house! It's truly amazing they didn't come here to play tonight and rightly got smacked around

Any of you old guys think this game felt a lot like the 82 NFC Championship game? I know, it wasn't a playoff game and we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. But what I mean is, this is the game that we announced to all that we are no longer yesterday's Redskins. That a new era has truly begun. That we will come to play in games that matter.

Again, I don't mean to equate this to a playoff game. But for this team, a team that hasn't seen the upside of 7 wins in years, THIS was the game that announced our presence with Authority. We may not be the most talented team in the league, we may not be Superbowl bound, but when you draw the Redskins you'll get yourselves a game. I think we are almost there now. Two more division games will tell us for sure.

I agree. They have gotten so used to whipping up on us that they seemed to assume that we would fold. Boy were thy wrong. I'm not looking forward to our next game with them next year. They are going to be looking for some payback.
Its funny, I had exactly the opposite reaction. I want to play them again next week.

Not because I expect a repeat performance, the Pokes are too good to lay down another smelly one like today. But the streak, the mystique, is broken. The Cowboys might be mad, but they will not again approach a Redskin game with the unshakeable confidence that they'll win no matter what. From here on they win only if they're the better team.

You guys are right about them expecting another gimmee. However I'd like to think that there's something more to blame. I'd like to think that it's a matchup thing between Santana Moss and their secondary. Williams doesn't cover particularly well and their FS is no Ronnie Lo....Sean Taylor:)

If this is in fact the case we could be in for a nice run of "luck" against them. That my friends would be a beautiful thing.

Maybe Dallas believed that they were a better team then the Redskins and Week 2 was a fluke. I think it was a combination of Joe Gibbs having the troop ready and Dallas being a bit over confident.

The bottom line is we wanted it more.

I hate the Cowboys, I hate em, I hate em, I hate em!!!!! :cuss:

Any of you old guys think this game felt a lot like the 82 NFC Championship game? I know, it wasn't a playoff game and we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. But what I mean is, this is the game that we announced to all that we are no longer yesterday's Redskins. That a new era has truly begun. That we will come to play in games that matter.

Again, I don't mean to equate this to a playoff game. But for this team, a team that hasn't seen the upside of 7 wins in years, THIS was the game that announced our presence with Authority. We may not be the most talented team in the league, we may not be Superbowl bound, but when you draw the Redskins you'll get yourselves a game. I think we are almost there now. Two more division games will tell us for sure.

Yeah, it did have that kind of feel to it. This could be the springboard game were everthing comes together from here on out. You look over at the Tuna and you can tell he knows, it will only get harder to win in this division.

Maybe Dallas believed that they were a better team then the Redskins and Week 2 was a fluke. I think it was a combination of Joe Gibbs having the troop ready and Dallas being a bit over confident.

The bottom line is we wanted it more.

I hate the Cowboys, I hate em, I hate em, I hate em!!!!! :cuss:

They were believing the media hype from the first game. Dallas players/fans, and media tards said it was a miracle, they believed it and found out the truth 3 months later. :2cents:

Absolutely Henry. This is a game where for the first time in a long time we took a worthy opponent, one that most folks thought was a solid step above us, and flat out dominated them beyond any excuses. And we did it with still having obvious and definite room for improvement in our own team.

This performance, like the one in '82, took place against an established and recognized backdrop of credibility that would be awarded to whoever most wanted to win the day. Like then, this win under these circumstances sent an unquestionably valid notice that this team can play at a top-of-the-league level that you don't achieve just by good fortune.

With all our imperfection, we totally contolled this cowboy team like no one has for a long time. And we did it in a manner that was clearly linked to our already demonstrated strengths, further verifying it was no fluke.

The Team That Almost Can, DID take command of an important high-pressure game against a play-off calibre team in clear and decisive fashion and displayed a will-to-win as potent as anybody's.

This was a statement piece for the coaches, the players, and the fans.

We need to finish off accordingly, treating the Giants and the Eagles with the same level of intensity, discipline, and ability that we delivered against the cowboys today. The challenge hasn't lessened, and neither must our resolve.

That resolve was there in '82/3 when Dexter swatted that Hogeboom pass into Grant's big paws, and it was in FedEx today when Daniels batted Bledsoe's toss into Griffin outstretched arms, and twice wrestled Drew down to the ground with a single arm while using the other to tie up his blocker. It's a corny song, but it damn well fits--back in 82 and again today we had the Eye of the Tiger.

I want to know where all of the Dallas trolls that promised to be back here after the game ran off to? Probably still trying to convince themsleves its all a bad dream.

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Archived