Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walking wounded: Springs, Rogers, LA, Harris, Thrash, Samuels, Bowen...ouch!

tr1

Time to suck it up, fellas!

Read the whole WP story here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/16/AR2005121601824_pf.html

Washington Redskins starting cornerbacks Carlos Rogers and Shawn Springs were the focus of yesterday's last injury report before tomorrow's showdown with the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field, and for Coach Joe Gibbs, the news was something of a split decision.

Rogers, the former first-round draft pick who started at left corner the past two games but is nursing a bruised left biceps muscle, was downgraded from probable to questionable. He began the week wearing a sling and did not practice this week.

Springs, who saw his back tighten in Arizona and injured his left groin, was listed as probable for the entire week, even though he only practiced yesterday, meaning playing is a virtual certainty. Springs did not practice Wednesday and Thursday, but said he would be on the field tomorrow.

Walt Harris, who started nine games before being replaced by Rogers in the first half of the San Diego game, is slowed by a calf injury that forced him to miss the Arizona game. Harris did not travel with the team last week and, like Springs, only practiced once this week.

In addition to Rogers, starting weak-side linebacker LaVar Arrington was downgraded to questionable, meaning he has a 50-50 chance of playing. Arrington has been hobbled by a right quadriceps injury suffered against Oakland but re-aggravated in St. Louis. The thigh injury is both curious and frustrating for Arrington, because it appears to be a variation of the injury that sidelined him for much of last season, and because after the injury recurred in the first half of the 24-9 victory over St. Louis, Arrington returned to action.

But he did not play Sunday against Arizona and, having suffered a setback, did not finish practice Wednesday and didn't practice at all Thursday and yesterday.

Where Springs was in positive spirits, Arrington has not talked about his condition since Monday, an apparent sign that he is not comfortable with his level of recovery. It was a contrast as well from the mood of defensive tackle Joe Salave'a, who has missed the last two games because of plantar fasciitis in his left foot but said he will play.

Gibbs also said that backup safety Matt Bowen had been downgraded to questionable. Bowen is suffering with a ruptured bursa sac on the knee, and seemed to have a setback in practice Thursday. Bowen did not practice yesterday.

Offensively, left tackle Chris Samuels did not practice except for walkthroughs yesterday and Gibbs said he did fine. Samuels injured his right ankle and knee in Arizona and did not practice during the week.

Gibbs said James Thrash had done more work and could be ready. The return of Thrash would be felt on special teams, but especially offensively, where the Redskins have been depleted at wide receiver.

Still, Gibbs did not appear to be overly optimistic. "With James, we're going to have to see," Gibbs said.

I'm extremely excited for this game!! Sounds like Arrington and Bowen probably won't play, but you never know. Rogers has a bruised bicep? That will hurt his tackling I suppose, I hope it feels better by Sunday!

All this talk about our players fighting through injury to play in a meaningful late season game against Dallas is priceless. I don't think it's happened in my lifetime!

Archived