Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some things that I'm seeing defensively that may bode well.

feeshta

Just a few observations that I'd like to share.

I have seen a few things in recent days that I think bode well for this defense. We are starting to get a few guys back healthy, and a few guys have stepped up their play as well.

#1. Joe Salevea is back. The man is a warrior in the true Samoan tradition. Half expect to see him out there doing a war dance to psych up for the game. He brings a presence to the interior line that none of the second tier guys had.

#2. Griff is starting to look like himself again. His first couple weeks back he looked off, like maybe he was still not 100%. Last week he started to look more like himself out there. I think this trend continues, and with Big Joe at his side things suddenly get a lot easier.

#3. Phillip Daniels is starting to come on a bit. The last two weeks he has stepped up and made some excellent, if not particularly spectacular plays. He's starting to look more like the guy we thought we got in free agency. Solid against the run, but able to get some preasure. I find myself wondering if maybe he was still bothered by last year's injuries in the early going, if even only on a mental level. Once again it gets much easier for him with Big Joe in there.

#4. We should have at least a decent compliment of corners ready to play. Springs and Rogers both being full go would be ideal, but at least we will have enough depth to spell some guys if they are hurting. Jimoh is actually playing some pretty good ball out there, and I would not be afraid of him as long as he is lined up on Meshawn. Keep him away from Glenn and he should be cool. Him on Meshawn with Taylor over the top we would be golden, he is excellent near the line of scrimage, just not so much down the field.

#5. Last but not least, Sean Taylor. The man is starting to really play like the guy we all envisioned when we drafted him. You know he will be ready to stake his claim this week. He brings an intensity to the game that can't be taught, and I just have a feeling he may be the key figure in a play that wins the game for us. Al Michaels seems to agree with me. He picked the skins to win this week "Because of Sean Taylor. I'm not sure where or when or how, but I have a feeling this kid will make a play that wins the game" were his words on Redskin report tonight.

I have no real idea how this game will play out, but I do know this. The players know what is at stake, and they will come prepared for war. That's all we can ask for as fans, that they give it their all and leave everything on the field. I am optimistic about our chances though. I think the Boys defense may give us a bit too much underneath after their thrashing at the hands of Moss last time. I also think Sellers being back is a huge boost to the offense, and would love to see us pound the ball out of the I-form with the occasional play action thrown in for good measure. A shot down the field early to either Moss or Brown would be an ideal setup in my mind. Get them thinking about that deep ball early, maybe even get some point out of the deal if we can catch them overcommitting to Moss and get Brown single coverage. Then pound the crap out of them till they start coming back in. And just when they think they see another stretch play right coming and decide that we are not going to get 6 yards every time off that all night, Boom! There's Santana Moss in stride in the seam. Call me crazy, but that is what I would do.

Any thoughts?

Salavea is a great player. As a cowboys fan, I really respect his consistancy, as well as Springs and Taylor. They are all good players, as much as I hat to admit it.

Our OT's have been barely adequate for us, so you may be able to pressure us, but at the same time, you haven't gotten pressure all year, so Im not sure it will just come.

A banged up secondary doesnt bode well for you at all. I dont see how you would consider all your second teamers a great stable of players to give the banged up starters a rest. You guys could have some real trouble stopping the Dallas O this weekend

Salavea is a great player. As a cowboys fan, I really respect his consistancy, as well as Springs and Taylor. They are all good players, as much as I hat to admit it.

Our OT's have been barely adequate for us, so you may be able to pressure us, but at the same time, you haven't gotten pressure all year, so Im not sure it will just come.

A banged up secondary doesnt bode well for you at all. I dont see how you would consider all your second teamers a great stable of players to give the banged up starters a rest. You guys could have some real trouble stopping the Dallas O this weekend

The D-line has gotten spotty preassure the past few weeks, nothing spectacular, but we did manage to cause a few turnovers. Overall I think this defense is designed for the guys on the D-line to eat up blockers and allow a blitzer to come totally free to the QB. In recent times our guys have not all been healthy and it has shown. With the D-line showing the starting rotation fo the first time since like week two, I think we might be able to do a little more with the blitz packages.

As far as the conerback situation, that was more of a relative thing. Earlier this week it looked like Springs and Rogers would both be out, and Harris was questionable at best as well. Now it looks like they are all going to play which is great, but they may not be 100%. At the same time though we got to see a little of our backups last week and they performed well, so the situation is looking better than we had thought. This is the only area that worries me a little on defense though, more in run support than pass coverage. I'm just not sure our guys will be able to come up and support on the run as well as we are used to seeing, and you know how the Tuna loves his screen plays.

Let's face it the ARZ game was an ugly win.

I would love for this weekend to be a 'convincing' one.

That being said 'GO SKINS'!

Damn, all the way from Regina eh? Used to live in Minot ND, so I actually know where that is unlike most people in the civilized world.

I would also like to see a convincing win. But my heart tells me this will be a battle.

The jump in energy on defense and the d-line in particular can be directly atributed to the return of Griffin. He just makes everyone around him better. He's a sparkplug! :applause:

On the other hand, .........

Walt Harris is back and he's gonna play. Perhaps alot! :(

:doh:

:helmet:

Damn, all the way from Regina eh? Used to live in Minot ND, so I actually know where that is unlike most people in the civilized world.

I would also like to see a convincing win. But my heart tells me this will be a battle.

It's nice to know that some in North Dakota know about Saskatchewan. Believe me not all do!

And yes I agree.....every game from now on will be a battle.

Well I feel vindicated in my analysis now. That was an amazing game for the D-line. Man, Daniels stepped up huge didn't he? This is the guy we all hoped for when he was signed last year.

Regina man, you got your wish. Talk about convincing? Wow!

Griffin and Salavea being back makes a world of difference. They get a great push in the middle which makes it easier for Daniels and Wynne.

Damn right it does. I've been saying for a while now that the trouble with the defense this year was the injuries at DT. Having the great play at DT frees up a lot of the perimeter, becasue offenses have to focus so much attention and resources to stopping Griff and Big Joe from just destroying the middle of their line every time. Losing Noble was a big loss, as he was always solid and provided great rotational depth. Then we lose Griffin and everyone knows how huge that is. Soon as Grif Gets back Joe goes down. Man, it was rough for a while there. Hopefully they can stay healthy from here on out. They certainly played like they were healthy today. Daniels just bull rushed his way to 4 sacks, and even Wynn had a nifty spin move for a sack, anyone else catch that? That was sweet to see big old Renaldo do a little spin move and get right at the QB. He almost looked surprised that it was so easy. I can just see him thinking "man I should do that more often".

Archived