Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Most Israelis against strike against Iran

Prosperity

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1216-05.htm

Most Israelis Oppose Strike Against Iran: Poll

Most Israelis oppose a military strike against Iran's nuclear program for now, despite fears in the Jewish state that Iran is getting closer to building an atom bomb, a poll showed on Friday.

Israel and the United States accuse Iran of trying to produce nuclear weapons, but Tehran denies this. Recent comments by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that Israel should be removed from the Middle East have added to regional tension.

A survey in the newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth said 58 percent of the 510 Israelis polled believed the dispute over Iran's atomic program should be handled diplomatically, while 36 percent said its reactor should be destroyed in a military strike.

Israel says Tehran will by March have the know-how to make a nuclear bomb and may be able to produce one within three years. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has said global pressure to halt Iran's nuclear program should continue.

Israel denied a report in Britain's Sunday Times last week that it was planning a strike against Iran's nuclear reactor in March, saying it preferred to let foreign diplomatic pressure on Tehran run its course.

But a senior Israeli official said future military action against Iran's nuclear program was not being ruled out. Israel, which is thought to possess the Middle East's only atomic arsenal, bombed a nuclear reactor in Iraq in 1981.

Asked how Iran would respond to an Israeli military attack, Iranian Defense Minister Mohammad Najjar said: "Iran's response will be swift, strong and devastating," the official IRNA news agency reported on Friday.

Copyright © 2005 Reuters Limited

Look where you're getting this article from... :doh:

Reuters?

most polls said kerry would be president... I think we can flush that poll down the toliet along with this one.

Most polls had the election as a close one, if polls are properly conducted the results are usually trustworthy.

Another meaningless poll. Israel will do what needs to be done, regardless of what a stupid poll says.

We'll see I think this will turn out to be less confrontational than people think. There is too much to lose for both sides to get into a conflict right now.

It's not a question of whether the poll is accurate or not. The Israeli government does not base their national security on a freakin' poll. That's why I said it was meaningless. There is little doubt in my mind that Israel will bomb those facilities in the near future.

It's not a question of whether the poll is accurate or not. The Israeli government does not base their national security on a freakin' poll. That's why I said it was meaningless. There is little doubt in my mind that Israel will bomb those facilities in the near future.

Well it is a Republic, when the Iraqi war became unpopular here was when we started hearing about the planned withdrawals etc... Now I didn't claim that BECAUSE of this poll or however a portion of Israelis feel will have a direct effect on the Israeli government, but we would like to think that "the only democracy in the middle east" reflects what its people want to some degree. Even if that doesn't matter I thought it was still interesting from the aspect of looking at how Israelis think.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Israel goes ahead and destroys the Iranian facilities. If we find out after the fact that the Iranians were not anywhere as close to completing nuclear facilities as we previously thought,

would the Israelis have been justified in the attack?

I'd be interested in reading the diverse opinions that I know are brewing out there...

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Israel goes ahead and destroys the Iranian facilities. If we find out after the fact that the Iranians were not anywhere as close to completing nuclear facilities as we previously thought,

I'd be interested in reading the diverse opinions that I know are brewing out there...

No

The main question is whether Israel,s leaders think it is justified,

IF they do,nothing anyone says will matter ,even the US.

IF it becomes a issue of survival in thier minds,justification is irrelevant:2cents:

2 Basic Facts:

1.) Iran's nuclear program is all about getting nukes. There is absolutely no economic rational for a country waist deep in oil reserves to pursue a nuclear energy program for civilian purposes.

2.) Diplomatic pressure, if it can even be called that, is absolutely meaningless and impotent. Iran is already an international pariah. When their president is calling the holocaust a myth, you can be quite sure they don't give a damn about world opinion. Iran will continue to pursue a nuclear weapons program regardless of what the world's diplomats say, or whatever useless sanctions are imposed.

The bottom line comes down to how dangerous will an nuclear Iran be versus how effective would an airstrike be at stopping or at least significantly delaying the development of Iranian nukes.

"as close" would mean that they were building nuclear weapons. So they would be perfectly justified. How close they were is not relevent. There is no chart that says "ok once they manage to put together sprocket x then we can bomb them, but if they are only at sping loaded thingy z we can only speak forcefully"

Now if it turned out that there was NO threat and there was NO weapons program.....you'd have a bigger issie on your hands. Going against the will of the people in a democracy is always a gamble. If you turn out to be wrong often there is hell to pay. If you turn out to be right, then you're a hero and they'll build statues in your honor.

2 Basic Facts:

1.) Iran's nuclear program is all about getting nukes. There is absolutely no economic rational for a country waist deep in oil reserves to pursue a nuclear energy program for civilian purposes.

That is a false premise and you ought to know that Riggo. You know that oil used domesticaly costs just as much as oil sold to others. With rising oil prices why shouldn't Iran take advantage of the situation and sell more oil while using cheaper more efficient form of fuel in Nuclear power?

That is a false premise and you ought to know that Riggo. You know that oil used domesticaly costs just as much as oil sold to others. With rising oil prices why shouldn't Iran take advantage of the situation and sell more oil while using cheaper more efficient form of fuel in Nuclear power?

Liberty don't be crazy. Those lunatics want nukes so that they don't live under the constant threat of expulsion by a foriegn power. They need this because they know they are a threat to western security and the only thing that stops the west from action is threat of nuclear war.

This isn't about selling more oil. This is about gaining a seat at the exclusive nuclear table. They can not be allowed to do so.

And your reasoning is...

I'm interested in opinions, to include the thought processes behind them, not just a collection of yes's and no's.

Would Iran be justified in destroying every nuclear facility in the US? To justify an attack like that one would need to prove the intent and the ability of the "enemy" to do harm to against one's self.

If Israel was certain that Iran wants to attack her (and I doubt they are) but Iran lacks the ability to do so then an attack is not justified.

If Israel was certain that Iran would not attack her, but Iran had the ability then the attack would still not be justfied.

If Israel was certain that Iran had the ability and intent to destroy Israel (nuclear war) then they would be justified in attacking.

Liberty don't be crazy. Those lunatics want nukes so that they don't live under the constant threat of expulsion by a foriegn power. They need this because they know they are a threat to western security and the only thing that stops the west from action is threat of nuclear war.

This isn't about selling more oil. This is about gaining a seat at the exclusive nuclear table. They can not be allowed to do so.

Well we can assume that, and it is probably true, but that is still a false premise.

Would Iran be justified in destroying every nuclear facility in the US? To justify an attack like that one would need to prove the intent and the ability of the "enemy" to do harm to against one's self.

If Israel was certain that Iran wants to attack her (and I doubt they are) but Iran lacks the ability to do so then an attack is not justified.

If Israel was certain that Iran would not attack her, but Iran had the ability then the attack would still not be justfied.

If Israel was certain that Iran had the ability and intent to destroy Israel (nuclear war) then they would be justified in attacking.

Iran has obtained missles to reach Israel and the plans for a nuclear device,both are established fact.

Although a missle system is not nescesarilly the only means to deliver a warhead.

When the president of Iran states Israel should be removed from the ME along with Iran's support of groups dedicated to Israel's destruction,INTENT of harm is fairly clear.

Of course if Iran simply recognized Israel has a right to EXIST might calm things down.

I know if someone publicly wished I was not around and pointed a weapon at me :rolleyes: there might be a problem. ;)

Iran has obtained missles to reach Israel and the plans for a nuclear device,both are established fact.

Although a missle system is not nescesarilly the only means to deliver a warhead.

When the president of Iran states Israel should be removed from the ME along with Iran's support of groups dedicated to Israel's destruction,INTENT of harm is fairly clear.

Of course if Iran simply recognized Israel has a right to EXIST might calm things down.

I know if someone publicly wished I was not around and pointed a weapon at me :rolleyes: there might be a problem. ;)

Iranian politicians have used Israel as a scapegoat for all of their woes for many years. The worse the situation in Iran the more they call for Israel's destructions. They are all liars, they know Israel is the best thing that happened for them since the Iran-Iraq war. Words don't mean anything coming from politicians, ESPECIALLY Iranian politicians.

Iranian politicians have used Israel as a scapegoat for all of their woes for many years. The worse the situation in Iran the more they call for Israel's destructions. They are all liars, they know Israel is the best thing that happened for them since the Iran-Iraq war. Words don't mean anything coming from politicians, ESPECIALLY Iranian politicians.

Sorry, when the same lunatics that say you need to die are also putting together the nukes to do it...

It becomes THEIR problem. Not the country that is NOW defending itself.

Sorry, when the same lunatics that say you need to die are also putting together the nukes to do it...

It becomes THEIR problem. Not the country that is NOW defending itself.

Well if this was like everyday life and we expected people to tell truth then you would have a point, but the Israelis probably know its bs too.

The leadership in Iran are a collective bunch of religious loonies who can't be trusted with a BB gun, much less nukes. They are known dealers/proliferators/financiers to all kinds of scumbags in the middle east, including hezbollah. How long would it be before a suicide bomber, with a little uranium smuggled from Iran, hit Israel?

Not long I think

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/mrl-iran.htm

Here's a rundown of their current known missles. You'll also note that a lot of their ability comes from China, via the clinton administration

I ran across a speech from General Yaalon recently retired after 37 years in the Israeli Defense Forces. For the last 5 years he was the IDF's Chief of Staff and Head of IDF Intelligence, and was primarily responsible for fighting the Intifada II.

Interesting comments on Iran:

http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2005/12/general-moshe-yaalon.html

7) On Iran - the current Iranian leadership "is doing Israel a favor." Ahmadenijad is simply "telling the truth." Whereas Arafat and other opponents of Israeli existence would seek to dissemble on their core objectives - for instance Arafat would say completely different things is Arabic versus English - the President of Iran is taking a public position which forces the UN, Europe and even Russia to condemn him and isolate Iran. Israel and the US could never do that on their own. In effect, by publicly embracing the concept of the elimination of Israel, Iran helps to give Israel the moral high ground which the UN, elements in Europe and certainly Russia would otherwise deny. As before 1967, it again puts Israel in the public "right."

8) Iran is within months of attaining a nuclear weapon. It could be two months, it could be 12 or 18 months -- this depends on their own competence rather than receipt of new implements. They have produced material for 4 bombs and are seeking material for 4 more. They are not years away.

9) Israel is prepared to take military action, and can reach every single target they know about. They would prefer negotiations, led by Europe, to succeed. He referred to a local expression -- sometimes you don't just talk, you "explain." Explain is code for the use of "the stick."

Archived