Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good can Rogers be?

LiveStrongSkins

Enough of all the injury talk and the "im nervous" threads. My question is how good can Carlos Rogers be? I think he has elite written all over him. Right now even with his inexperience I would take him over Smoot. He has incredible ball hawking skills with a 42 inch vertical leap. He wasnt the flashy pick at #9, but its turning into one hell of a pick.Whats even more impressive is that he has handled his business despite teams efforts to pick on him. Every corner gives up big completions, but he consistently has made plays. (See Owens vs. Bailey) He has made several tackles in the open field and not just sissy tackles, he has gone right after big guys like Larenzo Neal, Marcel Ship to stop them for losses. Whats even scarier is thinking how good he could be once we address some positions on the D-line. If a quarterback is rushed into making a throw near Rogers, he will take it the other way. He is going to grow into a shutdown corner while also being a game saving tackler in the process. Heres to many great years seeing #22 terrorize offenses. :cheers:

i consider all first round picks flashy.

i like roger's game. i'm sick of the comparisons to smoot, bailey, and green. i'm sure carlos aspires to be as well liked as though guys, but he really seems to have his own set of skills. i consider him a VERY GOOD tackler. he lays the wood on wideouts but is smart enough to take on RB/FB/TEs down low. i don't think we've seen the extent of his coverage skills yet b/c i think williams is protecting him, but he seems to have very good ball skills and hands. he can easily be a probowler in year 2+.

i see having a good secondary as way to take up the slack for an inadequate pass rush like a good pass rush can do vice versa for inadequate coverage.

It'd be nice if he could stay completely healthy for more than a couple weeks. Otherwise he's coming along nicely.

Yeah injuries suck and it blows because his injuries are freak injuries. The ankle injury is pretty common and he recoverd well, but a bicepts injury? That sucks and hopefully he can play through it.

The 'Skins draft such fine corners. Why won't they pay to keep them? Any thoughts?

I mean, Champ Bailey is OUTSTANDING. Smoot's no slouch.

We absolutely cant let Rogers go. I dont think we would make that same mistake 3 times, do you? God I hope not. Rogers is going to be special and it would suck to see him play somewhere else in his prime.

The 'Skins draft such fine corners. Why won't they pay to keep them? Any thoughts?

I was thinking about this last night while watching Darrel on NFL's Greatest Games. It really wouldn't have been smart to pay Champ so much, but I loved having him as a homegrown successor to Darrel.

I was thinking about this last night while watching Darrel on NFL's Greatest Games. It really wouldn't have been smart to pay Champ so much, but I loved having him as a homegrown successor to Darrel.

If Champ wanted to stay, he would have stayed. He wasn't going to stay, period. Don't be confused by the smokescreen.

I'll say this much about him, he has gotten alot better as the season has gone on. He still can't hold Champs jock (can anyone?), and in no way is he better than Smoot right now, but he is improving. That's all you can ask of a rookie. Still way to early to know if he will be great.

As an aside, there are so many great young corners in the league, 1st and 2nd year guys, it's going to be interesting to see who emerges as the cream of the crop.

Because there are other needs. I believe Gibbs before he leaves will straighten the salery cap out to where we have 10-15 million every year to spend and can resign players that we need. To have kept champ we would not have gotten portis and champ signed for more than portis did. plus champ gets burned evcery othe rpas play in denver. Smoot gets burned a lot also i think they are mainly product of teh system players maybe a bit above average side smoot was burned for like 3 touchdowns one game this season or 2 td's and a long gain. plus rogers is cheaper right now

Champ wanted a $20 million bonus and Smoot wanted $11 million.

Meanwhile we have Springs for $10 million and Rogers on a rookie deal.

Given the salary cap and the need at the time to find other players at RB, WR, LB and OL in 2004, should we have merely made Bailey the highest paid defensive player in the NFL outside of Ray Lewis? :)

Would the team be better off record-wise if it had? I doubt it.

Great first draft pick, and I'm glad that the coaching staff doesn't give a rats ass what the fans think, cause I was originally pissed that we didn't take Mike Williams and I know I wasn't the only one, how I was wrong.

This guy will be a certified shotdown cornerback in two years and will make the pro-bowl that is my prediction

Archived