Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Planned billboard angers Arab-Americans

SkinsNut73

Who will win the Giants VS. Chiefs game?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Giants VS. Chiefs game?

• Giants WIN another close one
    • Giants WIN big
    • Chiefs WIN a tight game
    • Chiefs embarrass the Giants at home

I'm Jewish. Jesus Christ isn't my God. Sorry. I'll use his name as I damn well please.

And honestly, comparing my saying 'Jesus Christ' to this disgustingly awful ad is just plain stupid.

Well, technically, Jesus Christ isn't "God", he's the "son of God". At least that's what I've been told. ;)

The irony. I'll keep that in mind the next time you want people to be more sensitive toward Muslims and/or their beliefs.

It's not the ad itself or your comments themselves. Nowhere in the ad does it say anything about Arabs in-general or Islam in-general. Are Arab or Muslim groups so inecure that they thing that image portrays themselves? CAIR, maybe, because that wouldn't be too far from the truth. Mainstream everyday people trying to earn a living? They would be smart enough to know the difference.

If you want others to be sensitive to avoid offending others, though, start with yourself. Not everyone appreciates hearing the name of their God taken in vain.

Please, gimme a break. I see what you're trying to do, and it's stupid. There is no parallel. Using someone else's lord's name in vain and portraying Arabs to look like terrorists are totally different. I'm not a government, and I'm not a billboard. I'm a dude on a message board using a phrase that has been commonly accepted as a type of exclaimation. You know damn well that I didn't mean anything by it, and well, you should know damn well that this billboard does mean to portray Arabs as terrorists.

Quit it with the false parallels. For some reason you conservatives have been having a field day with 'em lately, and they just don't make sense. Things vary on scale, they vary on intention. Not everything is a matter of black and white, no matter how good for your viewpoint looking at things with perspective is.

Please, gimme a break. I see what you're trying to do, and it's stupid. There is no parallel.

I'm making a comparison. Who said anything about parallels? I never said they were equal, on the same, exact plane or whatever. I could care less. I'm talking about hypocrisy. Not everyone accepts saying "Jesus Christ" as merely a harmless exclamation, as you so casually say.

I personally could care less and it doesn't offend me. You can't just brush off the irony of saying the billboard is offensive to Arabs or Muslims, then say something that someone else might take offense at, though. It doesn't go both ways.

Or one way, in this case.

For some reason you conservatives have been having a field day with 'em lately, and they just don't make sense.

I may have some conservative ideals, but that is the first time anyone has ever accused me of strictly being a conservative. I can't think of anything I've said in this thread as being a strictly conservative POV. Is it strictly conservative to not want to offend people who believe in the 10 Commandments for some reason?

I'm making a comparison. Who said anything about parallels? I never said they were equal, on the same, exact plane or whatever. I could care less. I'm talking about hypocrisy. Not everyone accepts saying "Jesus Christ" as merely a harmless exclamation, as you so casually say.

I personally could care less and it doesn't offend me. You can't just brush off the irony of saying the billboard is offensive to Arabs or Muslims, then say something that someone else might take offense at, though. It doesn't go both ways.

I may have some conservative ideals, but that is the first time anyone has ever accused me of strictly being a conservative. I can't think of anything I've said in this thread as being a strictly conservative POV. Is it strictly conservative to not want to offend people who believe in the 10 Commandments for some reason?

No, it's not. And while you may not be a conservative, everything in this thread points to it. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Nevertheless, you are trying to draw a false parallel. You're trying to make me look hypocritical for saying Jesus Christ. Saying Jesus Christ isn't anywhere near as intentionally offensive, and even to the people it is offensive to, it's nowhere near on the scale of this. So sure, maybe some hypersensitive Christians could be offended, but I'm not assaulting the image of an entire religion and culture by saying it. You know it's different, and your argument has little validity.

C'mon it's a stupid ad. And why all the Arab bashing? Yeah 14 Arabs hit us on 9/11 but there are billions of Arabs - don't judge them all. Living in NOVA I have many Arab friends, two of them were born in the middle east. They are cool people and just as American as you and I.

How would NC know if they are giving a license to a terrorist anyway? Have you ever seen anyone show up to the DMV holding a grenade or a rocket launcher? What is the real point of the billboard? Is there a place where a state can bring up a list of terrorists and then decide not to give them a license?

Why does everyone assume the person in the billboard is an arab or muslim?

Shows alot about youre own biases and prejudices.

The guy looks like a terrorist to me. I dont see a way to determine what race or religion the terrorist is by those pics.

"The billboard image is striking: a photo of a man shrouded in a traditional Arab head scarf clutching a grenade and a North Carolina driver’s license."

It's in the headline.

Okay, Dave admited he used it as an exclamation, but what i don't get is - who decides if it is used in vain? If he hadn't admited to using it as an exclamation, he could have defended himself by saying that he was seriously asking Jesus a question.

Was my use of Jesus above in vain? Seems like you call a person faith into question when you say they are taking his name in vain. Maybe its just me.

Diesel,

Are you really that racist? You do know we have arab CITIZENS right? Are their rights less than yours because they are Arab? seriously? Please explain your post as I would hope nobody really feels this way. If you do, those protesting the stupid billboard are absolutley right that this is just inciting blatant racism.

Sad.

So telling ungrateful sniveling immigrants to go home if they dont like free speech is racist.

Archived