Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Planned billboard angers Arab-Americans

SkinsNut73

Who will win the Giants VS. Chiefs game?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Giants VS. Chiefs game?

• Giants WIN another close one
    • Giants WIN big
    • Chiefs WIN a tight game
    • Chiefs embarrass the Giants at home

051216_billboard_nc_hlrg.hlarge.jpg

RALEIGH, N.C. - The billboard image is striking: a photo of a man shrouded in a traditional Arab head scarf clutching a grenade and a North Carolina driver’s license.

The message: “Don’t license terrorists, North Carolina.”

A New York-based group that plans to place the ad near North Carolina’s Capitol this month says it is meant as a critique of the state’s driver’s license laws but Arab-American groups complain it is inflaming an anti-Arab sentiment.

“The message of the ad says that Arabs are dangerous and violent people and that therefore they should not get driver’s licenses and I think it’s bigoted. It’s racist,” said Christine Saah Nazer of the Washington D.C.-based Arab American Institute.

Amanda Bowman, president of the Coalition for a Secure Driver’s License, which is launching the billboard campaign in North Carolina, Wisconsin and New Mexico, said the ad targets only terrorists.

“We’re not going after Arab-Americans,” Bowman said. “We’re going after terrorists.”

Rest of article here

Just curious, should a guy and his son with a sniper rifle be given a licence?

How do you know it's a terrorist getting the license? Is it the Arab clothing or the grenade? Which did you fear more in the DC area last year, a grenade or a sniper rifle?

Please, this is rediculous. Getting a license should be hard so that we give less to illegal immigrants, but inciting fears of terrorism is one of those things that's a bit beyond the pale. The real issue is illegal immigrants. Call a spade a spade. They want it to be harder for illegal immigrants to get by. That's not in and of itself a bad goal. Stop using racist fears for that goal. Talk about the real issue. Using racist fears just undermines some of the greatness that is our melting pot society.

Diesel,

Are you really that racist? You do know we have arab CITIZENS right? Are their rights less than yours because they are Arab? seriously? Please explain your post as I would hope nobody really feels this way. If you do, those protesting the stupid billboard are absolutley right that this is just inciting blatant racism.

Sad.

Jesus Christ. How can anyone support this?

The 3rd Commandment:

"Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain."

I guess you don't extend the same sympathy toward avoiding offending Jews or Christians as you would have others do to Muslims or Arabs.

The 3rd Commandment:

I guess you don't extend the same sympathy toward avoiding offending Jews or Christians as you would have others do to Muslims or Arabs.

I'm Jewish. Jesus Christ isn't my God. Sorry. I'll use his name as I damn well please.

And honestly, comparing my saying 'Jesus Christ' to this disgustingly awful ad is just plain stupid.

I'm Jewish. Jesus Christ isn't my God. Sorry. I'll use his name as I damn well please.

The irony. I'll keep that in mind the next time you want people to be more sensitive toward Muslims and/or their beliefs.

And honestly, comparing my saying 'Jesus Christ' to this disgustingly awful ad is just plain stupid.

It's not the ad itself or your comments themselves. Nowhere in the ad does it say anything about Arabs in-general or Islam in-general. Are Arab or Muslim groups so inecure that they thing that image portrays themselves? CAIR, maybe, because that wouldn't be too far from the truth. Mainstream everyday people trying to earn a living? They would be smart enough to know the difference.

If you want others to be sensitive to avoid offending others, though, start with yourself. Not everyone appreciates hearing the name of their God taken in vain.

On a general aside, I think we, as a society, have become both hyper-sensitive and very angry.

I think we can all agree that the billboard infers something unsavory and is probably in bad taste.

However, with that, I do perceive terrorists to be mostly Middle-Eastern. I don't, HOWEVER, perceive most Middle-Easterners (or those of Middle-Eastern descent) to be terrorists. See how easy it is to screw up our logic?

Archived