Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Article on Sage.... Matthews came out because of his jaw

codeorama

That ends the speculation....(sorry if you already knew... I didn't )

Matthew was pulled because of his jaw, not because SS was disapointed in him or to give Sage another look to trade him.

P.S. SS also said DW and SM will get most of the snaps in the bucs game. I think that was on cnnsi.com...

Sports > Redskins

Email This Page Newsletter Sign-Up

Rosenfels complicates Skins’ QB competition

By JIM DUCIBELLA , The Virginian-Pilot

© August 20, 2002

If Sage Rosenfels winds up playing quarterback for the Washington Redskins this season, he’s going to need to review the tape of the team’s 35-34 victory over Pittsburgh Sunday night.

Rosenfels, in his second year out of Iowa State, owes a thank-you note to the unnamed Steeler who popped Shane Matthews in the jaw late in the third quarter.

Redskins coach Steve Spurrier said he would have left Matthews in for the fourth quarter had he not seen Matthews rubbing his chin and “adjusting his jaw” as he left the field at the end of the third with Pittsburgh ahead 34-14.

“I decided to take him out and put Sage back in,” Spurrier said. “And he really played well.”

Indeed. In the fourth quarter, Rosenfels, the team’s fourth-round pick a year ago, completed 11 of 15 passes for 190 yards and three touchdowns. In the process, he thrust himself back into the quarterback competition with Matthews and Danny Wuerffel — a competition he seemed to have played himself out of before those last 15 minutes Sunday.

Background Coverage:

Redskins season site

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email this Page

Newsletter Sign-up

Get Wireless

Pilot Subscriptions

When asked after the game, Spurrier said only that the three are still competing for the job “and we’ll see what happens next game.”

Wuerffel remains scheduled to start Saturday night against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“I was shaky in the second quarter,” said Rosenfels, who hit 6 of 10 passes but threw an interception and lost a fumble. “Fortunately enough, coach Spurrier gave me another chance and our offense made the most of it in the fourth quarter.”

Actually, Spurrier said he would have replaced Rosenfels with rookie Patrick Ramsey had Rosenfels not cut into the Steelers’ lead by opening the fourth quarter with a 23-yard touchdown pass to tight end Leonard Stephens.

Stephens’ catch cut the lead to 34-21 with about 12 minutes to play — enough time, Spurrier reasoned, for the Redskins to win.

Wuerffel, who had been considered the leader of the quarterback race coming into the game, struggled against Pittsburgh’s first-team defense. And the Redskins didn’t give him much help.

A 20-yard completion to Rod Gardner was nullified by a holding penalty against Bryan Johnson. Kevin Lockett dropped a screen pass. And Reidel Anthony dropped a pass on third-and-5 that would have resulted in a first down.

“Danny did OK,” Spurrier said. “A guy got caught holding. We might have had a few bad plays called. Whatever it was, it wasn’t working early.”

Archived