Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Feeling down about the Skins? The Cowboys have been worse lately.

ThatGuy

I wrote this up for my blog today, but since I've been seeing some 'we have no chance' threads and posts I'll put it up here as well:

There is on odd sense of dread around some Redskins’ fans this week. Despite two straight wins and three straight good games, certain fans are expecting to get hammered this week. It’s the curse of playing bad teams. Unless you hammer them, most fans feel the team underachieved.

The Redskins have proven to be a team that plays to the level of their opposition. You could argue that they’ve played their best games in three losses this year (Denver, Kansas City, San Diego). On the other hand, victories against Chicago, Dallas and Arizona were among the worse games they’ve played all year. I’ve read predictions where Skins fans expect their team to get hammered this week. It’s just not going to happen.

You’ve probably seen the numbers floating around of late. The Skins and Boys are virtually identical statistically this year. The initial injury reports are in for the week and every player not on injured reserve is expected to play for both teams. Its good news for Skins fans as Springs, Rogers, Arrington, Harris, Salave’a, and Thrash are all expected to play. In other words, injuries won’t be a factor.

Yes, its true the Redskins stastically haven't perferomed up to their season's averages of late, but the Cowboys have been worse. Check out my fun little data chart:

Dallas

AVG LAST 5 Differences

Rush Off 113.92 100.4 -13.52

Pass Off 218.46 191.4 -27.06

Total 332.38 291.8 -40.58

Rush Def 106.38 134 27.62

Pass Def 194.31 195.6 1.29

Total 300.69 329.6 28.91

Washington

AVG LAST 5 Differences

Rush Off 124.15 150 25.85

Pass Off 199.31 161 -38.31

Total 323.46 311 -12.46

Rush Def 106.31 84.8 -21.51

Pass Def 192.46 228.4 35.94

Total 298.77 313.2 14.43

In the last 5 games, Dallas has gained over 40 yards less than their average and given up nearly 30 yards more than their average. The Skins likewise are performing below their season averages but to a lesser extent (-12 yards on offense, + 14 on defense).

The biggest changes however come on the rushing side of the ball. The Redskins offense has become one of the best rushing attacks around (as predicted here a few weeks back), while the Cowboys run defense has faded. The Cowboys are giving up an extra 14 yards a game, while the Redskins are gaining more than 25 yards extra per game.

So chin up Redskin fans. The Redskins are going to be in this game no matter what happens. And judging by recent trends, a win shouldn't be unexpected. Portis and the running game should continue to excel and we could be looking down on the Cowboys in the standings come Sunday night.

Interesting. The bothersome thing is, there have been tons of games where the Redskins dominated the Cowboys statistically, and yet, somehow, some way, the Cowboys win. You've seen it happen repeatedly the past 10 years. And they not only win, they pummel us. It doesn't make sense. It defies logic. And yet it has happened over and over again.

When's the last time we swept Dallas? Anybody?

1995. The Redskins beat the Cowboys both times. We broke a three game losing streak the first time we beat them. Cowboys broke a four game win streak the first time they lost to us. We broke a 4 game losing streak the second time we beat them. Cowboys broke a 2 game win streak the second time they lost to us. We swept them. The Cowboys were our ****es that season. Redskins finished 6-10. Cowboys finished 12-4, and went on to win the Super Bowl.

Does that make sense?

There's something weird about the Redskins Cowboys rivalry. We could have the best stats in the world and lose like dogs. And vice versa. It's not about stats, it's about heart.

We'll see what's up. 68 hours and counting.

Interesting. The bothersome thing is, there have been tons of games where the Redskins dominated the Cowboys statistically, and yet, somehow, some way, the Cowboys win. You've seen it happen repeatedly the past 10 years. And they not only win, they pummel us. It doesn't make sense. It defies logic. And yet it has happened over and over again.

When's the last time we swept Dallas? Anybody?

1995. The Redskins beat the Cowboys both times. We broke a three game losing streak the first time we beat them. Cowboys broke a four game win streak the first time they lost to us. We broke a 4 game losing streak the second time we beat them. Cowboys broke a 2 game win streak the second time they lost to us. We swept them. The Cowboys were our ****es that season. Redskins finished 6-10. Cowboys finished 12-4, and went on to win the Super Bowl.

Does that make sense?

There's something weird about the Redskins Cowboys rivalry. We could have the best stats in the world and lose like dogs. And vice versa. It's not about stats, it's about heart.

We'll see what's up. 68 hours and counting.

Once in for all, JG is back, last year was last year.. This is our year!!

There is on odd sense of dread around some Redskins’ fans this week. Despite two straight wins and three straight good games, certain fans are expecting to get hammered this week. It’s the curse of playing bad teams. Unless you hammer them, most fans feel the team underachieved.

This is my biggest pet-peeve of all. People say "well, we didn't destroy the Rams and Cardinals, so we SUCK. We didn't destroy Orton and the Bears, so we SUCK. Brunell had a bad game against the Cardinals, HE'S DONE! We're gonna get killed by Dallas."

Well lets all remember what happened after we DID destroy a pathetic team, shall we? San Fran came to DC and we simply annhilated them. What happened the next week? We got absolutely thrashed by the Giants.

While we weren't playing great football against the Cardinals in the first half, I never had that sinking feeling that I've had in years past. I knew the second half was going to be better, and lo' and behold, it was. We found our rushing game, and then Antonio took one to the house. I am of the opinion that even if Antonio had not taken one back, we were going to march down the field and score.

The problem with smashmouth football is that you aren't going to score a ton of points. You control the clock, 21-28 points, and limit your opponents chances. Those are the breaks. As long as you hold on to the football, you're golden. That's all there is to it! Smashmouth 101!

What happened 10 years ago doesn't matter. You can't talk about what happened 4 coaches ago with Norv or even with Marty or Spurrier. That is not close to being relevant now.

What happened even 1 year ago doesn't matter. This is a different season, and these are different teams.

That's true. What happened ten years ago has absolutely nothing to do with today.

But that's exactly my point. Regardless of the teams, the players, the coaches, and the owners, there is something wierd about this rivalry.

Look at 1989. Redskins, under Joe Gibbs, finished that season 10-6. The Cowboys on the other hand, were pathetic. They were typically beaten by two touchdowns every game. They were horrible, worse team in the league by far. They only managed one win the entire season, and it was on the road. They finished 1-15. So who'd they beat?

The Washington Redskins.

Archived