Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Power Rankings: Dallas drops down three (Merged x 2)

Mark The Homer

From FO's Michael David Smith: "So much for Chris Cooley being an all-pro. He was terrible against the Cardinals. I blame two of Brunell's interceptions on him. One bounced out of his hands, and the other one he just ran this really lazy route and just stood there and watched as the DB stepped in front of him for the pick."

Aaron Schatz at FOX Sports tries justify why the Skins are at number 9 on the DVOA Power Rankings. (Between you and me...I think he's secretly a Skins fan!)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5163328#washington

"The formula for weighting different weeks is also one of the reasons why Washington is still at number nine in our power rankings, even though they didn't play well against Arizona. Washington's biggest win of the season, by far, is that 52-17 rout of San Francisco -- seven weeks ago. In next week's ratings, that game drops in importance, so if Washington doesn't establish itself as a true playoff contender with a convincing win over Dallas, it will drop."

From FO's Michael David Smith: "So much for Chris Cooley being an all-pro. He was terrible against the Cardinals. I blame two of Brunell's interceptions on him. One bounced out of his hands, and the other one he just ran this really lazy route and just stood there and watched as the DB stepped in front of him for the pick. He also fumbled and didn't look as good blocking as he has in other games I've watched."

i thought i saw cooley being a spectator on the second INT also. i don't think cooley is "falling off" and it was just a bad game. the guy has great hands, hustles for the extra yard, and appreciates the attention of shapely woman. what's not to like?

What's up with Washington

The formula for weighting different weeks is also one of the reasons why Washington is still at number nine in our power rankings, even though they didn't play well against Arizona. Washington's biggest win of the season, by far, is that 52-17 rout of San Francisco -- seven weeks ago. In next week's ratings, that game drops in importance, so if Washington doesn't establish itself as a true playoff contender with a convincing win over Dallas, it will drop. As I said, these changes are usually pretty smooth and hard to notice, but this change happens to be one of the exceptions.

There are two other reasons why Washington is higher in our ratings than elsewhere: schedule strength and fumble recovery. You'll notice that when we don't consider these issues, Washington's rating under "unadjusted" is 15, much more in line with public perception.

Somehow, Mark Brunell and the Redskins managed to beat the Cardinals. (Paul Connors / Associated Press)

Schedule strength is fairly easy to understand, and the NFC East is a tough division this year, playing an even tougher division, the AFC West, in interconference play. Fumble recovery is a little more controversial. I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but fumble recoveries are almost completely random. Let's be clear -- I am not saying that there is no skill in causing fumbles. But a team's ability to pounce on the loose ball fluctuates from season to season and from week to week.

Until Sunday's game against Arizona, Washington had the worst rate of recovering fumbles in the league, on both offense and defense. The Redskins had recovered just 4 of 16 fumbles caused by their defense, and only 6 of 20 fumbles by their offense. Last year, with basically the same players, Washington had recovered half of all fumbles on both sides of the ball, so something was just wacky. The adjustment on Washington's rating for fumble recovery was actually larger than the adjustment for schedule strength.

And then, just to prove that this stuff is completely arbitrary, this week Washington was horrible and nearly lost to one of the worst teams in football. Arizona gained 71 more yards and Mark Brunell threw three interceptions. How on earth did the Redskins beat the Cardinals? Blind, stupid luck. Arizona fumbled the ball three times, and Washington recovered all three. Washington fumbled the ball three times, and Washington recovered all three.

Even after that game, Washington's fumble recovery rate is still below average, so the team is getting a little bit of a boost. But this week's game shows that Washington is not going to keep losing three out of four fumbles. Of course, if they play in the next three weeks like they did against Arizona, that improved luck isn't going to help them make the playoffs.

Im sorry to say this but with our offense which has looked eneimic the past few weeks except for the tampa game we dont deserve that #9 ranking.

with a top 10 defense, #5 rushing offense, and the #8 rusher in the league, I'd say we do and have a chance to do well in December... when both those units matter most

How on earth did the Redskins beat the Cardinals? Blind, stupid luck. Arizona fumbled the ball three times, and Washington recovered all three. Washington fumbled the ball three times, and Washington recovered all three.

Also, some pretty good defense, and the fact that the Cards don't have a running game. They moved it up and down the field alright, but they couldn't get it into the end zone.

I'll take the luck, tho. We weren't getting it earlier this year...

Jason

http://msn.foxsports.com/name/public/NFL/PowerRankings#washington

What's Up With Washington?

by FOXSports.com

The formula for weighting different weeks is also one of the reasons why Washington is still at number nine in our power rankings, even though they didn't play well against Arizona. Washington's biggest win of the season, by far, is that 52-17 rout of San Francisco -- seven weeks ago. In next week's ratings, that game drops in importance, so if Washington doesn't establish itself as a true playoff contender with a convincing win over Dallas, it will drop. As I said, these changes are usually pretty smooth and hard to notice, but this change happens to be one of the exceptions.

Edited to comply with new Board policies ~ ihs

Archived