Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seriously were Patten and Thrash that important

Leonard Washington

Since we have been in our recent passing game slump, it seems that people like to pin this on the injuries to Patten and Thrash. Yes I know the running game has improved, but we need BALANCE to be a good football team. I would argue that we weren't really utilizing these guys anyway and the lack of production is due to QB play, playcalling, and/or improved defense against us.

DARNIT! I HIT "ENTER" BY MISTAKE!

Come on LW, you know as well as anybody that when Patten and Thrash were in the game, the enemy's DB's had to give them some respect and not roll coverages and safety help exclusively to Moss' side. Doc Walker was talking about it on Monday on WTEM, in that the defenses now have absolutely no respect for Jacobs and Farris or whatever warm body we're sending out there and are focused completely on shutting down Moss and disrupting his routes.

Come on LW, you know as well as anybody that when Patten and Thrash were in the game, the enemy's DB's had to give them some respect and not roll coverages and safety help exclusively to Moss' side. Doc Walker was talking about it on Monday on WTEM, in that the defenses now have absolutely no respect for Jacobs and Farris or whatever warm body we're sending out there and are focused completely on shutting down Moss and disrupting his routes.

Exactly. The lack of respect towards Jacobs and Farris, combined with the inefficiency of Thrash and Patten, points to the real problem our wr group has, outside of Moss: We need better players. :2cents:

Here are the mythical Patten and Thrash stats.

Thrash: 10 games 13recep 153yds 0TD 9first downs

Patten: 9 games 22recept 217yds 0TD 10first downs

Maybe it has more to do with reliable route running, chemistry with the QB, and how much opposing defenses respect them than it has to do with dry stats, I dunno...maybe it's what they bring to the huddle, helping Brunell by pointing out tendencies of the opposing defense they're noticing during the game at real time speed and the newer guys aren't bringing those types of intangibles to the table...I dunno.

All I do know is that I'd rather have Thrash as our #3 receiver than Farris...

so wouldn't it make sense to throw it to jacobs or farris then? i've said it a million times jacobs has been open and it was shown on national tv that farris was last week. i'm saying thrash and patten are bad players but its not like they were really taking alot of pressure off moss by being a viable option on every play. basically...we aren't looking at them!

Patten was a player on Superbowl teams - a real contributer. Had to respect him. Thats what it boils down to. Now if he actually caught some more balls thrown his way he would have made Moss even MORE successful.

I guess its true - you sometimes take things for granted until they're gone...

Here's a chart showing passing yards per game by each receiver. It looks to me like our passing efficiency dropped off considerably starting with the Giants game, and it hasn't recovered. The San Diego game is the only game of the last 7 that Faris & Jacobs had much of a contribution. Even Moss hasn't done nearly as well since the Giants game. Something bad happened around that time, and we haven't recovered yet. Maybe the Giants found the secret to stopping our passing attack, and everyone since has copied their strategy. We gotta do better this week or we aren't going to be competitive.

Passing_Yds_per_Game.jpg

If Jacobs, or more realistically Farris steps up against Dallas and has a good game, we will win because it will take the Corners out of their game plan and have them trying to account for another reciever, and that might create oppritunities for Moss or Cooley.

at least Brunell threw the ball to them :doh:

Only early on. As the games went on, Brunell would look a lot less at Patton, and far more to Moss.

I do think losing Patton hurt us more than we thought it was going to. While he wasn't producing stat-wise, teams did seem to respect him.

Jason

If Jacobs, or more realistically Farris steps up against Dallas and has a good game, we will win because it will take the Corners out of their game plan and have them trying to account for another reciever, and that might create oppritunities for Moss or Cooley.

well if they could only throw the ball to themselves. they already accomplished the getting open part. these guys just aren't getting the chances to make or not make plays.

just like moss with the jets. everyone thought he was garbage b/c he didn't get alot of balls thrown to him. he knew that if he got more chances he could make plays.

to be honest i don't think the coaching staff knew moss was good until the dallas game. you take chances with a guy, especially a guy with physical talents, you can be surprised.

Archived